error message after installing new card

gary85

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I had a radeon 8500le, bought a evga 6600gt, got it today and installed. Uninstalled from add/remove programs the ati mmc, had 1 error while uninstalling but uninstall completed after it. Can't remember what it said, sorry. ATI mmc no longer in add/remove. The ati driver is still in add/remove and there is no way to remove it.
I went ahead and installed drivers for the 6600gt and all seems ok, but computer has rebooted itself twice without notice and on start up I get a warning that reads "ATI advanced desktop utility failed to initialize because no ati driver is installed or ATI driver is not working properly, application will exit shortly".
Any idea what i should do?
Did I not need to get rid of ATI crap?
Do I need to reinstall ATI crap and go about getting rid of it another way?
Any help is much appreciated in advance!!!!!

gary85

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
downloaded and did only one thing...highlighted ATI and removed...seems to have done the trick, no error on startup. Will let you know how the puter acts after letting it run some more. That was very easy!!!! Hope this does the trick.
Was reading the manual that came with my new card and it said if experiencing frequent lockups, etc. could be my AGP miniport drivers...was searching for the latest and not having any luck. I have a ASUS P4S533, think I should be worried about this? only drivers I seen from asus was 3 yrs old.

gary85

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
well still having video troubles...my 8500LE didn't have this much problems playing WoW...screen locks, puter reboots, graphics problems...any suggestions?
did a search for "ati" files on my pute and still showed alot of ATI folders and crap, but not getting the error at start up.
Should i put my old card back in and start over?
I am really pissed and don't know what i should do. Again any help is very much appreciated, besides i was talked into getting the 6600gt from you guys...show me the love!!!!!!

Vascular

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Did you download the latest drivers from Nvidia.com
Make sure you plug the powersupply 4pin molex into the video card.
Go to run and type dxdiag and make sure you have the latest version 9.0c.
From there go to the video tab and click the two test, and restart the comp.

Latest motherboard drivers top left corner type in your model number. If you are using the latest driver you should be ok.

SgtTomcat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Have you went into startup config utility to stop old ATI stuff from trying to load at startup?
Try: start>run>type in MSCONFIG >hit enter or OK, select startup tab at top and check for any ATI stuff with a "check" in the boxes at left. If any ATI stuff is checked, uncheck>click "apply", then reboot. I had similar prblem going from nVidia TnT2 64 16MB AGP to an ATI All In Wonder Radeon 7500 64MB a few years ago. Hope this helps.

gary85

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
well dxdiag test are all fine, running 9.0c, found 1 Sis agp video update dated 2003, got it dling. also gonna try bios update, will let you no more tomorrow. thanks all!!!!
I was jumping forums and read that I should have removed all drivers and software from old card before removing the card itself. Should that make a difference? If so, will also try that tomorrow. then I will have to worry about removing nvidea...darnit wish I was a computer genius.