Special Setup for an Application

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

I would like to setup an application to run in Terminal Services. I am able
to get it to run fine by using RDP files.. However, I would like to
accomplish the following
- Restrict users to not be able to "disconnect" the application by clicking
the X on the title bar.
- Even better yet, I would like to not have a title bar.
- Automatically use the Users current Windows Credentials and automatically
sign in with their user/password. I don't want to have an RDP for each user
that would need to be changed each time a user changes their password, nor
do I want to require them to put in their password each time.

Thanks!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

"Passthrough authentication" (using Windows credentials to logon to a
TS session) is not a native feature of Windows TS. You will need
Citrix for that.

Getting rid of the title bar also means you need Citrix (this is
called "seemless windows").

You cannot completely avoid that users disconnect (they can always
just power off their workstation), but you can "hack" the client to
get rid of the X-box:

Disabling the X box on the Terminal Services client
http://terminal.servebeer.com/php/x_box_disable.php

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

"ChrisNA662" <ChrisNA662@<NOBOTS>> wrote on 24 maj 2005:

> I would like to setup an application to run in Terminal
> Services. I am able to get it to run fine by using RDP files..
> However, I would like to accomplish the following
> - Restrict users to not be able to "disconnect" the application
> by clicking the X on the title bar.
> - Even better yet, I would like to not have a title bar.
> - Automatically use the Users current Windows Credentials and
> automatically sign in with their user/password. I don't want to
> have an RDP for each user that would need to be changed each
> time a user changes their password, nor do I want to require
> them to put in their password each time.
>
> Thanks!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

Cool thanks for that..

On this, any ideas on AppLauncher (wwwapplauncher.com) if that'd do it ?
What have others experienced with it? I am only using a specific
application for 10 users, so the cost of a citrix setup isn't quite there
yet (Although It does slowly push me in the right direction for long term)

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
> "Passthrough authentication" (using Windows credentials to logon to a
> TS session) is not a native feature of Windows TS. You will need
> Citrix for that.
>
> Getting rid of the title bar also means you need Citrix (this is
> called "seemless windows").
>
> You cannot completely avoid that users disconnect (they can always
> just power off their workstation), but you can "hack" the client to
> get rid of the X-box:
>
> Disabling the X box on the Terminal Services client
> http://terminal.servebeer.com/php/x_box_disable.php
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*
>
> "ChrisNA662" <ChrisNA662@<NOBOTS>> wrote on 24 maj 2005:
>
> > I would like to setup an application to run in Terminal
> > Services. I am able to get it to run fine by using RDP files..
> > However, I would like to accomplish the following
> > - Restrict users to not be able to "disconnect" the application
> > by clicking the X on the title bar.
> > - Even better yet, I would like to not have a title bar.
> > - Automatically use the Users current Windows Credentials and
> > automatically sign in with their user/password. I don't want to
> > have an RDP for each user that would need to be changed each
> > time a user changes their password, nor do I want to require
> > them to put in their password each time.
> >
> > Thanks!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

I haven't used that myself, so I don't know. There are quite a lot
of 3th party add-ons which might provide some of the functionality
that you want.
Have a look at Patrick Rouse webside with an extensive list of 3th
party add-ons. He has cool tooltips with a short description of
each add-on:

http://www.workthin.com/tsao.htm

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"ChrisNA662" <ChrisNA662@<NOBOTS>> wrote on 24 maj 2005 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications:

> Cool thanks for that..
>
> On this, any ideas on AppLauncher (wwwapplauncher.com) if that'd
> do it ? What have others experienced with it? I am only using a
> specific application for 10 users, so the cost of a citrix setup
> isn't quite there yet (Although It does slowly push me in the
> right direction for long term)
>

> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
> in message
>> "Passthrough authentication" (using Windows credentials to
>> logon to a TS session) is not a native feature of Windows TS.
>> You will need Citrix for that.
>>
>> Getting rid of the title bar also means you need Citrix (this
>> is called "seemless windows").
>>
>> You cannot completely avoid that users disconnect (they can
>> always just power off their workstation), but you can "hack"
>> the client to get rid of the X-box:
>>
>> Disabling the X box on the Terminal Services client
>> http://terminal.servebeer.com/php/x_box_disable.php
>>
>> --
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*
>>
>> "ChrisNA662" <ChrisNA662@<NOBOTS>> wrote on 24 maj 2005:
>>
>> > I would like to setup an application to run in Terminal
>> > Services. I am able to get it to run fine by using RDP
>> > files.. However, I would like to accomplish the following
>> > - Restrict users to not be able to "disconnect" the
>> > application by clicking the X on the title bar.
>> > - Even better yet, I would like to not have a title bar.
>> > - Automatically use the Users current Windows Credentials and
>> > automatically sign in with their user/password. I don't want
>> > to have an RDP for each user that would need to be changed
>> > each time a user changes their password, nor do I want to
>> > require them to put in their password each time.
>> >
>> > Thanks!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

Thanks for the link! Basically I need an Application Launcher of some kind.
I have an application that I want to run this way, and seems to work great,
except when you close the application, it doesn't close the remote session.
(It works properly with any other application). So I am thinking if I get
the user to an "Application Launcher" that has an Exit or Quit option, when
they click it on the launcher that'd fix the problem. Plus if I want to
bundle more apps, I can easily on the one...

Thanks!!!

> I haven't used that myself, so I don't know. There are quite a lot
> of 3th party add-ons which might provide some of the functionality
> that you want.
> Have a look at Patrick Rouse webside with an extensive list of 3th
> party add-ons. He has cool tooltips with a short description of
> each add-on:
>
> http://www.workthin.com/tsao.htm
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> "ChrisNA662" <ChrisNA662@<NOBOTS>> wrote on 24 maj 2005 in
> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications:
>
> > Cool thanks for that..
> >
> > On this, any ideas on AppLauncher (wwwapplauncher.com) if that'd
> > do it ? What have others experienced with it? I am only using a
> > specific application for 10 users, so the cost of a citrix setup
> > isn't quite there yet (Although It does slowly push me in the
> > right direction for long term)
> >

> > "Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
> > in message
> >> "Passthrough authentication" (using Windows credentials to
> >> logon to a TS session) is not a native feature of Windows TS.
> >> You will need Citrix for that.
> >>
> >> Getting rid of the title bar also means you need Citrix (this
> >> is called "seemless windows").
> >>
> >> You cannot completely avoid that users disconnect (they can
> >> always just power off their workstation), but you can "hack"
> >> the client to get rid of the X-box:
> >>
> >> Disabling the X box on the Terminal Services client
> >> http://terminal.servebeer.com/php/x_box_disable.php
> >>
> >> --
> >> Vera Noest
> >> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> >> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> >> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

Well after doing more research, doesn't look like this is going to be a
problem.. I think I was closing too quick to test it. If I left the app
open for a minute it will close immediatly... (Which in the real world, how
many ppl are going to open, login, then close?)

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
> I haven't used that myself, so I don't know. There are quite a lot
> of 3th party add-ons which might provide some of the functionality
> that you want.
> Have a look at Patrick Rouse webside with an extensive list of 3th
> party add-ons. He has cool tooltips with a short description of
> each add-on:
>
> http://www.workthin.com/tsao.htm
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> "ChrisNA662" <ChrisNA662@<NOBOTS>> wrote on 24 maj 2005 in
> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications:
>
> > Cool thanks for that..
> >
> > On this, any ideas on AppLauncher (wwwapplauncher.com) if that'd
> > do it ? What have others experienced with it? I am only using a
> > specific application for 10 users, so the cost of a citrix setup
> > isn't quite there yet (Although It does slowly push me in the
> > right direction for long term)
> >

> > "Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
> > in message
> >> "Passthrough authentication" (using Windows credentials to
> >> logon to a TS session) is not a native feature of Windows TS.
> >> You will need Citrix for that.
> >>
> >> Getting rid of the title bar also means you need Citrix (this
> >> is called "seemless windows").
> >>
> >> You cannot completely avoid that users disconnect (they can
> >> always just power off their workstation), but you can "hack"
> >> the client to get rid of the X-box:
> >>
> >> Disabling the X box on the Terminal Services client
> >> http://terminal.servebeer.com/php/x_box_disable.php
> >>
> >> --
> >> Vera Noest
> >> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> >> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> >> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

Aaah, I understand. Then you have run into this "feature"
(described by Citrix, but applies to rdp as well):

Published Application Sessions Take 60 Seconds to Log Off when
Windows 2003, Service Pack 1 is Installed
http://support.citrix.com/kb/entry.jspa?entryID=6034

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"ChrisNA662" <ChrisNA662@<NOBOTS>> wrote on 25 maj 2005 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications:

> Well after doing more research, doesn't look like this is going
> to be a problem.. I think I was closing too quick to test it.
> If I left the app open for a minute it will close immediatly...
> (Which in the real world, how many ppl are going to open, login,
> then close?)
>

> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
> in message
>> I haven't used that myself, so I don't know. There are quite a
>> lot of 3th party add-ons which might provide some of the
>> functionality that you want.
>> Have a look at Patrick Rouse webside with an extensive list of
>> 3th party add-ons. He has cool tooltips with a short
>> description of each add-on:
>>
>> http://www.workthin.com/tsao.htm
>>
>> --
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>>
>> "ChrisNA662" <ChrisNA662@<NOBOTS>> wrote on 24 maj 2005 in
>> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications:
>>
>> > Cool thanks for that..
>> >
>> > On this, any ideas on AppLauncher (wwwapplauncher.com) if
>> > that'd do it ? What have others experienced with it? I am
>> > only using a specific application for 10 users, so the cost
>> > of a citrix setup isn't quite there yet (Although It does
>> > slowly push me in the right direction for long term)
>> >

>> > "Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se>
>> > wrote in message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

How funny.. That would be it for sure!! Well like I said.. how many people
will be doing this in the real world (hopefully not much when I deploy
it!!!)

Thanks!!!!

> Aaah, I understand. Then you have run into this "feature"
> (described by Citrix, but applies to rdp as well):
>
> Published Application Sessions Take 60 Seconds to Log Off when
> Windows 2003, Service Pack 1 is Installed
> http://support.citrix.com/kb/entry.jspa?entryID=6034
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> "ChrisNA662" <ChrisNA662@<NOBOTS>> wrote on 25 maj 2005 in
> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications:
>
> > Well after doing more research, doesn't look like this is going
> > to be a problem.. I think I was closing too quick to test it.
> > If I left the app open for a minute it will close immediatly...
> > (Which in the real world, how many ppl are going to open, login,
> > then close?)
> >

> > "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
> > in message
> >> I haven't used that myself, so I don't know. There are quite a
> >> lot of 3th party add-ons which might provide some of the
> >> functionality that you want.
> >> Have a look at Patrick Rouse webside with an extensive list of
> >> 3th party add-ons. He has cool tooltips with a short
> >> description of each add-on:
> >>
> >> http://www.workthin.com/tsao.htm
> >>
> >> --
> >> Vera Noest
> >> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> >> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> >> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
> >>
> >> "ChrisNA662" <ChrisNA662@<NOBOTS>> wrote on 24 maj 2005 in
> >> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications:

TRENDING THREADS