Venice Athlon 64 3200+ in a Compaq

johnnyb0yvba

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
u guys think i should be able to overclock it, since it's a venice core? the board is an asus A8AE-LE. If so, how far do u recommend i go without changing anything else, like the volt,htt, or ram settings.

brigby

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I recommend you never buy a compaq.

Go as far as you can while it remains stable...just ease the FSB on upwards until you can't boot, then turn it down a few, and thats where you want to stay. Unless of course you want to mess with your voltages, in which case you shouldn't exceed 1.7V with a 90nm Venice core...

Some of those 3200's go pretty far. What stepping is it?

brigby

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
its actually not compaq i dislike, its most of the companies that sell premade computers that i dislike. but thats just because i prefer building my own...call me close minded if you like :)

johnnyb0yvba

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
oh, i spent like a month checking out parts and planned to build my own. then new year's came and they sold the sr1625nx with monitor for 450 after rebates. it's a lot cheaper than building one. came with 160gig hd, 1gig ram, dvd-rw drive, socket939 athlon 64 3200+. only reason i would build is to save money, but u can't get that with a monitor for under 500 bux.

but anyway, i can't even overclock these, so we can forget about this. It was locked in the bio's. thx tho

ike2187

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
yea its basically impossible to overclock a cpu on a compaq since their bios isnt even a bios. Its like nothing at all lol. I tried to do it but I would to get a new bios but I wouldnt know which one to use that would'nt screw my comp up. So thats one thing i regret about buying a compaq but the good thing is im gonna build a new one this coming summer :). So if you guys find a way to overclock it lemme know.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I wasn't refering to those crappy VIA chipsets, I was refering to the generic overclocking utility for nVidia chipsets.

If it has the nForce4 chipset, you can overclock it very easily using a utility from www.cpuid.com

See? So then I looked up your board and found out it's using the ATI chipset, which is better than VIA of course, but not capable of using the generic nForce4 chipset overclocking tools.