Need to clean inkjet heads on Epson 740

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.components (More info?)

I have an Epson 740 inkjet printer.

After not using it for a while, I discovered that the inkjet nozzles
were apparently clogged to the point where the "head cleaning routine"
was of limited usefulness.
The printouts show signs of missing lines and "bleeding fibers"
indicating the presence of accumulated residue around the nozzles.

I'd like to be able to free the print head carriage assembly
so that I can wipe the front of the nozzles and clean them,
but I can't find the right screws to remove.

The Epson website has various manuals to download but they don't seem
to have the one that I need. Their Product Information Guide on setup
and testing (sc740_pg.pdf) mentions (on page 15,
under Related Documentation) the "TM-SC467 Epson Stylus Color
440/640/740 Service Manual", but that publication is apparently
nowhere to be found on their website.

Can someone either
(a) explain how to remove the print head assembly so the nozzles can be
cleaned or
(b) mention a website where the necessary documentation is available
for download or
(c) if you have the document, send me a copy via email as an attachment.

Thanks for your help.
32 answers Last reply
More about need clean inkjet heads epson
  1. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.components (More info?)

    "wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I have an Epson 740 inkjet printer.
    >
    > After not using it for a while, I discovered that the inkjet nozzles
    > were apparently clogged to the point where the "head cleaning routine"
    > was of limited usefulness.
    > The printouts show signs of missing lines and "bleeding fibers"
    > indicating the presence of accumulated residue around the nozzles.
    >
    > I'd like to be able to free the print head carriage assembly
    > so that I can wipe the front of the nozzles and clean them,
    > but I can't find the right screws to remove.
    >
    > The Epson website has various manuals to download but they don't seem
    > to have the one that I need. Their Product Information Guide on setup
    > and testing (sc740_pg.pdf) mentions (on page 15,
    > under Related Documentation) the "TM-SC467 Epson Stylus Color
    > 440/640/740 Service Manual", but that publication is apparently
    > nowhere to be found on their website.
    >
    > Can someone either
    > (a) explain how to remove the print head assembly so the nozzles can
    be
    > cleaned or
    > (b) mention a website where the necessary documentation is available
    > for download or
    > (c) if you have the document, send me a copy via email as an
    attachment.

    The Epson inkjet printer is a field replaceable item. You throw away
    the printer and replace it with another at the same or less price of a
    set of ink cartridges for it. If you're smart, you'll get a printer
    that has the nozzles built into the cartridge, such as the HP deskjet,
    or similar.

    I'm really serious about this. At work, the teachers go on vacation in
    the summer, and when they come back in the fall, the Epsons are all that
    way. So we just tell them, the Epson is not a district standard
    printer, so we don't support it - sorry. If you get a new one, the
    district standard is HP.

    > Thanks for your help.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.components (More info?)

    On 5 Nov 2004 05:09:50 -0800, wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com (wylbur37) wrote:

    >I have an Epson 740 inkjet printer.
    >
    >After not using it for a while, I discovered that the inkjet nozzles
    >were apparently clogged to the point where the "head cleaning routine"
    >was of limited usefulness.
    >The printouts show signs of missing lines and "bleeding fibers"
    >indicating the presence of accumulated residue around the nozzles.

    Here's a post from a while go - a friend of mine has tried it successfully :

    The symptom is missing horizontal lines
    through text or graphics -- or no print at
    all. This occurs when the water based inks
    dry at the print heads in amounts that the
    head cleaning routine cannot dislodge.

    The newer Epson Stylus Color series print
    heads are particularly affected.

    It can happen whether you refill your inkjet
    cartridges or not.

    One contributing factor is turning off the
    printer from a power bar. This prevents a
    complete shutdown and docking of the heads
    at their docking stations. You will notice
    some activity even after turning the printer
    off by its switch, as it continues to take a
    trickle charge.

    To unclog the heads:

    - Run 3 cleaning cycles from the Epson
    Utility

    - Turn off printer, and restart in Test
    Print mode

    - When cartridges/ print heads are at
    extreme left of carriage, quickly spray 3
    shots of Windex or Ammonia onto docking
    station(s) affected, and turn off printer
    for 5 minutes

    - Repeat process as needed until perfect
    test prints are restored - usually 2
    procedures

    We've saved 14 printers this way.

    --
    Image Control ~ Remanufactured and Generic
    Toner Cartridges

    1396 Kingston Rd. Toronto ON Canada M1N 1R3
    (416) 694-7509 Fax 694-7929 ~ Member BBB &
    CIPRA
    Canadian Imaging Products Remanufacturers
    Assn.
    Free email help with toner problems ~
    http://www.image-control.com
  3. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.components (More info?)

    "Mike Harrison" <mike@whitewing.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On 5 Nov 2004 05:09:50 -0800, wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com (wylbur37) wrote:
    >
    > >I have an Epson 740 inkjet printer.
    > >
    > >After not using it for a while, I discovered that the inkjet nozzles
    > >were apparently clogged to the point where the "head cleaning routine"
    > >was of limited usefulness.
    > >The printouts show signs of missing lines and "bleeding fibers"
    > >indicating the presence of accumulated residue around the nozzles.
    >
    > Here's a post from a while go - a friend of mine has tried it
    successfully :

    > The symptom is missing horizontal lines
    > through text or graphics -- or no print at
    > all. This occurs when the water based inks
    > dry at the print heads in amounts that the
    > head cleaning routine cannot dislodge.
    >
    > The newer Epson Stylus Color series print
    > heads are particularly affected.
    >
    > It can happen whether you refill your inkjet
    > cartridges or not.
    >
    > One contributing factor is turning off the
    > printer from a power bar. This prevents a
    > complete shutdown and docking of the heads
    > at their docking stations. You will notice
    > some activity even after turning the printer
    > off by its switch, as it continues to take a
    > trickle charge.
    >
    > To unclog the heads:
    >
    > - Run 3 cleaning cycles from the Epson
    > Utility
    >
    > - Turn off printer, and restart in Test
    > Print mode
    >
    > - When cartridges/ print heads are at
    > extreme left of carriage, quickly spray 3
    > shots of Windex or Ammonia onto docking
    > station(s) affected, and turn off printer
    > for 5 minutes
    >
    > - Repeat process as needed until perfect
    > test prints are restored - usually 2
    > procedures
    >
    > We've saved 14 printers this way.
    I was going to post the Ammonia suggestion. It worked for me, and the
    printer concerned, was still working two years latter when I sold it.
    It is very effective indeed.
    It is worth realising that the removing the head won't really help, since
    the blockage is inside the nozzles, and not something external that can be
    wiped away. The cleaning sponges at the docking end of the carriage, come
    directly into contact with the heads, and cleaner on here works, without
    risking destroying the alignment of the system.
    It is worth also saying, that the Epson heads are far less prone to this,
    than the HP cartridges, and when you have been through 30+ HP cartidges at
    £20 or more a time, in each case replacing them before more than a quarter
    of the ink is used, the Epson system does not seem bad. I have never
    successfully got an HP cartridge to clean.

    Best Wishes
  4. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.components (More info?)

    "wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I have an Epson 740 inkjet printer.
    >
    > After not using it for a while, I discovered that the inkjet nozzles
    > were apparently clogged to the point where the "head cleaning routine"
    > was of limited usefulness.

    A solvent for dye based inks is commonly used. Windex (Windolene UK) is a
    window cleaning fluid which disperses encrusted or dried ink: Some of the
    newer shower dispersant cleaners work equally well.
    Firstly try a few drops on the docking sponge area which is where the heads
    sit when parked.
    Whipping out the mains plug in mid flight will expose this.
    With a cotton bud introcude a few droplets on the piercing splines and the
    sponge.
    In real determined blockage cases - fill a spent cartridge with the solvent
    (Household ammonia 10:1 works as well) and print a few windy pages . Letting
    it sit overnight can also ease it further.
    The so called cleaning cycle is really priming of ink through the feeder
    tubes and seldom cleans.
    Tony
    --
    Spit less spotlets - spotless inkjet prints...
    http://www.inkylinkusa.com 30% more ink

    --
    "Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"" <NOSPAM@dslextreme.com> wrote
    in message news:10on0upb86skm06@corp.supernews.com...

    > "wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > I have an Epson 740 inkjet printer.
    > >
    > I'm really serious about this. At work, the teachers go on vacation in
    > the summer, and when they come back in the fall, the Epsons are all that
    > way. So we just tell them, the Epson is not a district standard
    > printer, so we don't support it - sorry. If you get a new one, the
    > district standard is HP.

    Which IMO just tells us quite a bit about the mentality of Teachers and
    supply coordinators in charge of our children. The total cost of ownership
    for an HP is usually twice that of Epson with lexmark leading by a whopping
    margin. So Teachers don't even know about a little preventative maintenance.
    Whip out the plug in mid-flight -prior to that looong vacation - spray in a
    little Windex: some on the docking sponge and its done.
    If you get really religious and cost conscious then a few spent cartridges
    and a preventative print , again prior to vacation will keep them all
    working just fine. That may not be within the teacher's remit or
    intelligence but it works.
    In any case vacation School buildings are normally used by parents and other
    recreational classes during vacation times so why aren't they using the
    printers ? Strikes me your costs could be halved and the tax payer's money
    as well with a little thought and planning. Are you sure the motivation for
    HP is cost.
    Tony
    Spit less spotlets - spotless inkjet prints...
    http://www.inkylinkusa.com 30% more ink
    http://www.aah-haa.com/affiliates.htm
    And a nice little earner...
  6. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.components (More info?)

    "wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | I have an Epson 740 inkjet printer.
    |
    | After not using it for a while, I discovered that the inkjet nozzles
    | were apparently clogged to the point where the "head cleaning routine"
    | was of limited usefulness.
    | The printouts show signs of missing lines and "bleeding fibers"
    | indicating the presence of accumulated residue around the nozzles.

    Look on the net. Someone sells a cleaning solution for Epsons:

    http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kea0.html (Easy to use, no disassembly
    required) - "Do not use alcohol or Windex, they will very likely ruin your
    printer".

    | I'd like to be able to free the print head carriage assembly
    | so that I can wipe the front of the nozzles and clean them,
    | but I can't find the right screws to remove.

    Can't help, but see the "How to fix your own printer" site
    (http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/)

    | The Epson website has various manuals to download but they don't seem
    | to have the one that I need. Their Product Information Guide on setup
    | and testing (sc740_pg.pdf) mentions (on page 15,
    | under Related Documentation) the "TM-SC467 Epson Stylus Color
    | 440/640/740 Service Manual", but that publication is apparently
    | nowhere to be found on their website.
    |
    | Can someone either
    | (a) explain how to remove the print head assembly so the nozzles can be
    | cleaned or
    | (b) mention a website where the necessary documentation is available
    | for download or
    | (c) if you have the document, send me a copy via email as an attachment.
  7. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.components (More info?)

    "NSM" <nowrite@to.me> wrote in message news:eBOid.82130$df2.7095@edtnps89...

    > http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kea0.html (Easy to use, no disassembly
    > required) - "Do not use alcohol or Windex, they will very likely ruin your
    > printer".
    Utter bollocks !

    --
    Spit less spotlets - spotless inkjet prints...
    http://www.inkylinkusa.com 30% more ink
    http://www.aah-haa.com/affiliates.htm
    And a nice little earner...
  8. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.components (More info?)

    wrote:

    > > >I have an Epson 740 inkjet printer.
    > > >
    > > >After not using it for a while, I discovered that the inkjet
    nozzles
    > > >were apparently clogged to the point where the "head cleaning
    routine"
    > > >was of limited usefulness.
    > > >The printouts show signs of missing lines and "bleeding fibers"
    > > >indicating the presence of accumulated residue around the nozzles.
    > >
    > > Here's a post from a while go - a friend of mine has tried it
    > successfully :
    > >
    > > The symptom is missing horizontal lines
    > > through text or graphics -- or no print at
    > > all. This occurs when the water based inks
    > > dry at the print heads in amounts that the
    > > head cleaning routine cannot dislodge.
    > >
    > > The newer Epson Stylus Color series print
    > > heads are particularly affected.
    > >
    > > It can happen whether you refill your inkjet
    > > cartridges or not.
    > >
    > > One contributing factor is turning off the
    > > printer from a power bar. This prevents a
    > > complete shutdown and docking of the heads
    > > at their docking stations. You will notice
    > > some activity even after turning the printer
    > > off by its switch, as it continues to take a
    > > trickle charge.
    > >
    > > To unclog the heads:
    > >
    > > - Run 3 cleaning cycles from the Epson
    > > Utility
    > >
    > > - Turn off printer, and restart in Test
    > > Print mode
    > >
    > > - When cartridges/ print heads are at
    > > extreme left of carriage, quickly spray 3
    > > shots of Windex or Ammonia onto docking
    > > station(s) affected, and turn off printer
    > > for 5 minutes
    > >
    > > - Repeat process as needed until perfect
    > > test prints are restored - usually 2
    > > procedures
    > >
    > > We've saved 14 printers this way.
    > I was going to post the Ammonia suggestion. It worked for me, and the
    > printer concerned, was still working two years latter when I sold it.
    > It is very effective indeed.
    > It is worth realising that the removing the head won't really help,
    since
    > the blockage is inside the nozzles, and not something external that
    can be
    > wiped away. The cleaning sponges at the docking end of the carriage,
    come
    > directly into contact with the heads, and cleaner on here works,
    without
    > risking destroying the alignment of the system.

    Good point.

    > It is worth also saying, that the Epson heads are far less prone to
    this,
    > than the HP cartridges, and when you have been through 30+ HP
    cartidges at
    > £20 or more a time, in each case replacing them before more than a
    quarter
    > of the ink is used, the Epson system does not seem bad.

    The HP cartridges may be expensive, but they don't clog up as often in
    as Epsons in my experience, and when they do, all you have to do is
    replace the cartridge, and not waste tons of time on trying to get it to
    clean and work properly as the Epson requires. We've never had as
    many problems or complaints with the HPs as we've had with the Epsons.

    And I hear the Epson printer sitting there for several minutes doing
    this "dance" they do, of so much activity and gyrations just to get a
    single _page_ printed out.

    > I have never successfully got an HP cartridge to clean.

    But you can remove the whole cartridge and set the business end on a
    sheet of paper towel wetted with whatever you want to clean it with. Or
    even put the heads in a shallow liquid, like in a lid from a jar or
    bottle.

    And if you're against tossing the printer cartridges and putting new
    ones in, then youi might consider what some people do. They just buy a
    whole new HP printer on sale for $70 or so, with cartridges, and give
    the old one to a friend or the kids or whatever.

    And save a lot of money by refilling the cartridges. Epson uses a chip
    in heirs to thwart the refills so they can sell more cartridges. But
    the pirates sell kits that have already bypassed those.

    > Best Wishes
  9. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.components (More info?)

    "wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I have an Epson 740 inkjet printer.
    >
    > After not using it for a while, I discovered that the inkjet nozzles
    > were apparently clogged to the point where the "head cleaning routine"
    > was of limited usefulness.
    > The printouts show signs of missing lines and "bleeding fibers"
    > indicating the presence of accumulated residue around the nozzles.
    >
    > I'd like to be able to free the print head carriage assembly
    > so that I can wipe the front of the nozzles and clean them,
    > but I can't find the right screws to remove.
    >
    > The Epson website has various manuals to download but they don't seem
    > to have the one that I need. Their Product Information Guide on setup
    > and testing (sc740_pg.pdf) mentions (on page 15,
    > under Related Documentation) the "TM-SC467 Epson Stylus Color
    > 440/640/740 Service Manual", but that publication is apparently
    > nowhere to be found on their website.
    >
    > Can someone either
    > (a) explain how to remove the print head assembly so the nozzles can be
    > cleaned or
    > (b) mention a website where the necessary documentation is available
    > for download or
    > (c) if you have the document, send me a copy via email as an attachment.
    >

    > Thanks for your help.

    I found it is possible to clean the heads by filling an empty ink reservoir
    with Alcohol and running the test print program many times. After 10 to 20
    runs, it usually clears them out. Then put a reservoir with Epson approved ink
    in and test. Repeat as needed. No guarantee. Depends on how badly it is
    clogged!
  10. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.components (More info?)

    "wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I have an Epson 740 inkjet printer.
    >
    > After not using it for a while, I discovered that the inkjet nozzles
    > were apparently clogged to the point where the "head cleaning routine"
    > was of limited usefulness.
    > The printouts show signs of missing lines and "bleeding fibers"
    > indicating the presence of accumulated residue around the nozzles.
    >
    > I'd like to be able to free the print head carriage assembly
    > so that I can wipe the front of the nozzles and clean them,
    > but I can't find the right screws to remove.

    http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/sc740_/sc740_pg.pdf
  11. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.components (More info?)

    "Tony" <auct1@pantsaah-haa.com> wrote in message

    > --
    > "Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"" <NOSPAM@dslextreme.com>
    wrote
    > in message news:10on0upb86skm06@corp.supernews.com...
    > >
    > > "wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have an Epson 740 inkjet printer.
    > > >
    > > I'm really serious about this. At work, the teachers go on vacation
    in
    > > the summer, and when they come back in the fall, the Epsons are all
    that
    > > way. So we just tell them, the Epson is not a district standard
    > > printer, so we don't support it - sorry. If you get a new one, the
    > > district standard is HP.
    >
    > Which IMO just tells us quite a bit about the mentality of Teachers
    and
    > supply coordinators in charge of our children. The total cost of
    ownership
    > for an HP is usually twice that of Epson with lexmark leading by a
    whopping
    > margin. So Teachers don't even know about a little preventative
    maintenance.
    > Whip out the plug in mid-flight -prior to that looong vacation - spray
    in a
    > little Windex: some on the docking sponge and its done.
    > If you get really religious and cost conscious then a few spent
    cartridges
    > and a preventative print , again prior to vacation will keep them all
    > working just fine. That may not be within the teacher's remit or
    > intelligence but it works.
    > In any case vacation School buildings are normally used by parents and
    other
    > recreational classes during vacation times so why aren't they using
    the
    > printers ? Strikes me your costs could be halved and the tax payer's
    money
    > as well with a little thought and planning. Are you sure the
    motivation for
    > HP is cost.

    You're using your experiences to judge someone else's situation, which
    is not a valid judgment. The full-time teachers have a 6 by 10 ft
    'office' (more like cubbyhole) which is theirs to lock up all summer
    long, contrary to your judgment.

    As for cost, well, you have to weigh in the other factors such as the
    time it takes for the staff such as our helpdesk staff to do whatever
    has to be done to get the teacher a page properly printed out. If we
    had to go over with a bottle of windex and do as you suggested, it would
    cost us at least a whole additional person full-time, because there are
    hundreds of printers out there. And if you think that it's possible to
    get a teacher to do that cleaning job, you haven't been in this
    situation. Those teachers get paid a lot more than we do. And they get
    off the whole summer, too.

    Suffice it to say that if the teachers can talk their department head
    into buying a 2 thousand dollar HP color laser printer and supplying it
    with a new set of toner cartridges every few months at a cost of several
    hundred dollars each, they can easily afford a few ink cartridges. And
    new Epson printers, when the old ones get clogged up. We have a whole
    warehouse of PCs and monitors, hundreds of them, setting there waiting
    to be scrapped, and that's just a year's accumulation. What's the cost
    of a few printers in the grand scheme of things? Nothing, especially
    when compared to labor costs. The teachers won't deal with these
    details, that's why they have us helpdesk peons. I was the first elec
    tech the district hired, now 2 dozen years later we have dozens of
    techs, just to deal with these user issues, and each tech gets paid the
    cost of a couple cartridges a day. So why not throw inkjet printers at
    the problem if it will save having to hire another tech. We used go
    over and undo and reinstall the printer after the Lusers screwed around
    with the printer setup, until we got wise and took away all users' local
    administrator priveleges. Now they can't goof it up quite as bad and it
    saves a lot of the techs' time. We have nicknames for certain
    departments where there are those Lusers that have a propensity for
    screwing things up. The techs call one dept "HM2", meaning High
    Maintenance #2. They're not the worst; that title's reserved for HM1.
    :o)

    Believe me, I'm all for giving each user his own printer, that way I
    wouldn't have to pull new cat5 cable to the big networked HP printer
    they buy for the department. But they don't and I do, so that's called
    Job Security. And the cost of a printer or even a PC is nothing
    compared to the amount of labor and downtime wasted by a wave of virus
    infections such as klez. Now, I can't even send someone a .ZIP file
    because the email system rips it out and tells the recipient that it's
    possibly a virus. But you have to look at the good side. All those
    ..ZIPs that don't get thru are no longer printed out, so it saves on ink,
    paper and printers. ;-)

    > Tony
  12. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.components (More info?)

    "Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"" <NOSPAM@dslextreme.com> wrote
    in message news:10on0upb86skm06@corp.supernews.com...

    > "wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > I have an Epson 740 inkjet printer.
    > >
    > > After not using it for a while, I discovered that the inkjet nozzles
    > > were apparently clogged to the point where the "head cleaning routine"
    > > was of limited usefulness.
    > > The printouts show signs of missing lines and "bleeding fibers"
    > > indicating the presence of accumulated residue around the nozzles.
    > >
    > > I'd like to be able to free the print head carriage assembly
    > > so that I can wipe the front of the nozzles and clean them,
    > > but I can't find the right screws to remove.
    > >
    > > The Epson website has various manuals to download but they don't seem
    > > to have the one that I need. Their Product Information Guide on setup
    > > and testing (sc740_pg.pdf) mentions (on page 15,
    > > under Related Documentation) the "TM-SC467 Epson Stylus Color
    > > 440/640/740 Service Manual", but that publication is apparently
    > > nowhere to be found on their website.
    > >
    > > Can someone either
    > > (a) explain how to remove the print head assembly so the nozzles can
    > be
    > > cleaned or
    > > (b) mention a website where the necessary documentation is available
    > > for download or
    > > (c) if you have the document, send me a copy via email as an
    > attachment.
    >
    > The Epson inkjet printer is a field replaceable item. You throw away
    > the printer and replace it with another at the same or less price of a
    > set of ink cartridges for it. If you're smart, you'll get a printer
    > that has the nozzles built into the cartridge, such as the HP deskjet,
    > or similar.
    >
    > I'm really serious about this. At work, the teachers go on vacation in
    > the summer, and when they come back in the fall, the Epsons are all that
    > way. So we just tell them, the Epson is not a district standard
    > printer, so we don't support it - sorry. If you get a new one, the
    > district standard is HP.
    >

    > > Thanks for your help.

    I had an old Epson Stylus II that never dried up, even after months of not
    using it. Later I had a newer Epson and was dissapointed to find it would
    dry out after only a couple weeks of not printing.
  13. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.components (More info?)

    "Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"" <NOSPAM@dslextreme.com> wrote
    in message news:10oohspihg87q1b@corp.supernews.com...

> [...]
    > hundreds of printers out there. And if you think that it's possible to
    > get a teacher to do that cleaning job, you haven't been in this
    > situation. Those teachers get paid a lot more than we do. And they get
    > off the whole summer, too.
    >
    > Suffice it to say that if the teachers can talk their department head
    > into buying a 2 thousand dollar HP color laser printer and supplying it
    > with a new set of toner cartridges every few months at a cost of several
    > hundred dollars each, they can easily afford a few ink cartridges. And
    > new Epson printers, when the old ones get clogged up. We have a whole
    > warehouse of PCs and monitors, hundreds of them, setting there waiting
    > to be scrapped, and that's just a year's accumulation. What's the cost
    > of a few printers in the grand scheme of things? Nothing, especially

    That was firstly exhausting and then enthralling to comprehend...
    I write and like horror stories about the human pysche: would you like to
    contact me and play name-em-and-shame-em, anonomously of course. No wonder
    the Western World is despised for its waste mountain.
    Tony.
    --
    Spit less spotlets - spotless inkjet prints...
    http://www.inkylinkusa.com 30% more ink
    http://www.aah-haa.com/affiliates.htm
    And a nice little earner...
  14. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.components (More info?)

> [...]
    several
    > > hundred dollars each, they can easily afford a few ink cartridges.
    And
    > > new Epson printers, when the old ones get clogged up. We have a
    whole
    > > warehouse of PCs and monitors, hundreds of them, setting there
    waiting
    > > to be scrapped, and that's just a year's accumulation. What's the
    cost
    > > of a few printers in the grand scheme of things? Nothing,
    especially
    > > when compared to labor costs.
    >
    > That was firstly exhausting and then enthralling to comprehend...
    > I write and like horror stories about the human pysche: would you like
    > contact me and play name-em-and-shame-em, anonomously of course. No
    wonder
    > the Western World is despised for its waste mountain.

    No, I wouldn't want to, because you wouldn't pay me 28 bucks an hour to
    do so. Besides, we full-time employees don't work on the printers, we
    have a vendor send a field tech over for one day a week, and we pay them
    a bundle of money just for that. I'm sure we wouldn't want to pay them
    to have him here more just to clean print heads. We've scrapped a whole
    lot of laserjets because the cost to repair is more than the printers
    are worth, so we just buy a new one.

    And if you think this is expensive, you should see the bills for the
    Xerox monster they have out in the publications center. It looks like
    this, but I think it's an earlier model.
    http://www.xerox.com/go/xrx/equipment/product_details.jsp?Xcntry=USA&Xla
    ng=en_US&prodID=DT6180&cat=Product+Taxonomy%2fProduction+Systems%2fDocuT
    ech
  15. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.components (More info?)

    wrote in message news:10oof6pjcd9ag9b@corp.supernews.com...

    > "Roger Hamlett" <rogerspamignored@ttelmah.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Mike Harrison" <mike@whitewing.co.uk> wrote in message

    > nozzles
    > routine"
    > > >
    > > > Here's a post from a while go - a friend of mine has tried it
    > > successfully :
    > > >
    > > > The symptom is missing horizontal lines
    > > > through text or graphics -- or no print at
    > > > all. This occurs when the water based inks
    > > > dry at the print heads in amounts that the
    > > > head cleaning routine cannot dislodge.
    > > >
    > > > The newer Epson Stylus Color series print
    > > > heads are particularly affected.
    > > >
    > > > It can happen whether you refill your inkjet
    > > > cartridges or not.
    > > >
    > > > One contributing factor is turning off the
    > > > printer from a power bar. This prevents a
    > > > complete shutdown and docking of the heads
    > > > at their docking stations. You will notice
    > > > some activity even after turning the printer
    > > > off by its switch, as it continues to take a
    > > > trickle charge.
    > > >
    > > > To unclog the heads:
    > > >
    > > > - Run 3 cleaning cycles from the Epson
    > > > Utility
    > > >
    > > > - Turn off printer, and restart in Test
    > > > Print mode
    > > >
    > > > - When cartridges/ print heads are at
    > > > extreme left of carriage, quickly spray 3
    > > > shots of Windex or Ammonia onto docking
    > > > station(s) affected, and turn off printer
    > > > for 5 minutes
    > > >
    > > > - Repeat process as needed until perfect
    > > > test prints are restored - usually 2
    > > > procedures
    > > >
    > > > We've saved 14 printers this way.
    > > I was going to post the Ammonia suggestion. It worked for me, and the
    > > printer concerned, was still working two years latter when I sold it.
    > > It is very effective indeed.
    > > It is worth realising that the removing the head won't really help,
    > since
    > > the blockage is inside the nozzles, and not something external that
    > can be
    > > wiped away. The cleaning sponges at the docking end of the carriage,
    > come
    > > directly into contact with the heads, and cleaner on here works,
    > without
    > > risking destroying the alignment of the system.
    >
    > Good point.
    >
    > > It is worth also saying, that the Epson heads are far less prone to
    > this,
    > > than the HP cartridges, and when you have been through 30+ HP
    > cartidges at
    > > £20 or more a time, in each case replacing them before more than a
    > quarter
    > > of the ink is used, the Epson system does not seem bad.
    >
    > The HP cartridges may be expensive, but they don't clog up as often in
    > as Epsons in my experience, and when they do, all you have to do is
    > replace the cartridge, and not waste tons of time on trying to get it to
    > clean and work properly as the Epson requires. We've never had as
    > many problems or complaints with the HPs as we've had with the Epsons.
    Interesting. The exact opposite of me. We have over 300 printer in the
    company I work for. The running costs for HP equivalent models, worked out
    over double that of the Epsons, with a hige number of 'early replacement'
    cartridges. We have had just two Epson's develop clogged nozzles, and both
    cleared.

    > And I hear the Epson printer sitting there for several minutes doing
    > this "dance" they do, of so much activity and gyrations just to get a
    > single _page_ printed out.
    I only hear cleaning cycles, if the printer has been switched off, or left
    idle for a couple of days. Normally responses are instantaneous. The HP
    units also do a clean if left idle.

    > > I have never successfully got an HP cartridge to clean.
    >
    > But you can remove the whole cartridge and set the business end on a
    > sheet of paper towel wetted with whatever you want to clean it with. Or
    > even put the heads in a shallow liquid, like in a lid from a jar or
    > bottle.
    Yes, and then the cartridge no longer gives the fine ink dots it used to.
    The quality degrades massively. The same is true after most refills...

    > And if you're against tossing the printer cartridges and putting new
    > ones in, then youi might consider what some people do. They just buy a
    > whole new HP printer on sale for $70 or so, with cartridges, and give
    > the old one to a friend or the kids or whatever.
    >
    > And save a lot of money by refilling the cartridges. Epson uses a chip
    > in heirs to thwart the refills so they can sell more cartridges. But
    > the pirates sell kits that have already bypassed those.
    I suspect that this explains a lot. The two machines that did develop
    clogged nozzles, turned out to have both been fitted with a 'refilled'
    cartridge, by one person...

    Best Wishes
  16. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.components (More info?)

    | Interesting. The exact opposite of me. We have over 300 printer in the
    | company I work for. The running costs for HP equivalent models, worked out
    | over double that of the Epsons, with a hige number of 'early replacement'
    | cartridges. We have had just two Epson's develop clogged nozzles, and both
    | cleared.

    Allegedly the price for inkjet ink works out to be several times the price
    of the finest French Champagne.

  17. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.components (More info?)

    > "Roger Hamlett" <rogerspamignored@ttelmah.demon.co.uk> wrote in
    message

    > | Interesting. The exact opposite of me. We have over 300 printer in
    the
    > | company I work for. The running costs for HP equivalent models,
    worked out
    > | over double that of the Epsons, with a hige number of 'early
    replacement'
    > | cartridges. We have had just two Epson's develop clogged nozzles,
    and both
    > | cleared.
    >
    > Allegedly the price for inkjet ink works out to be several times the
    price
    > of the finest French Champagne.

    *That* is why they say, "Never argue with someone who buys ink by the
    gallon."

    ;-))

    http://www.funny2.com/never.htm

    http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2004/06/13/editorial_mayorluken.html
  18. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.components (More info?)

    "NSM" <nowrite@to.me> wrote in message news:OO8jd.88090$df2.75976@edtnps89...

    > "Roger Hamlett" <rogerspamignored@ttelmah.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    > | Interesting. The exact opposite of me. We have over 300 printer in the
    > | company I work for. The running costs for HP equivalent models, worked out
    > | over double that of the Epsons, with a hige number of 'early replacement'
    > | cartridges. We have had just two Epson's develop clogged nozzles, and both
    > | cleared.
    >
    > Allegedly the price for inkjet ink works out to be several times the price
    > of the finest French Champagne.

    By the quart it is about the same as that Cheap booze.
    California bubbly tastes better anyway!
  19. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.components (More info?)

    On 5 Nov 2004 05:09:50 -0800, wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com (wylbur37) wrote:

    >I have an Epson 740 inkjet printer.
    >
    >After not using it for a while, I discovered that the inkjet nozzles
    >were apparently clogged to the point where the "head cleaning routine"
    >was of limited usefulness.
    >The printouts show signs of missing lines and "bleeding fibers"
    >indicating the presence of accumulated residue around the nozzles.
    >
    >I'd like to be able to free the print head carriage assembly
    >so that I can wipe the front of the nozzles and clean them,
    >but I can't find the right screws to remove.
    >
    >The Epson website has various manuals to download but they don't seem
    >to have the one that I need. Their Product Information Guide on setup
    >and testing (sc740_pg.pdf) mentions (on page 15,
    >under Related Documentation) the "TM-SC467 Epson Stylus Color
    >440/640/740 Service Manual", but that publication is apparently
    >nowhere to be found on their website.
    >
    >Can someone either
    >(a) explain how to remove the print head assembly so the nozzles can be
    >cleaned or
    >(b) mention a website where the necessary documentation is available
    >for download or
    >(c) if you have the document, send me a copy via email as an attachment.
    >

    >Thanks for your help.

    I have a site that shows you how to do it, not to hard but you must also clean
    up the parking station as that get paper dust and hair on it and dried ink,
    that must be done so that the print head it covered and has a good vacuum..

    I did mine by using this article, and the 740 works great afterwards..

    I use a stuff called Spray and Wipe, 2mm in a flat tray, left the print here
    face down in it for say one hour, then did it again, also move the head a
    little up and down in the liquid, the liquid does not cover the head just the
    face of it.

    Then did it again with clean water, then dried it off with clean tissue

    Yes here is the URL..

    http://www.inkjetart.com/tips/cleaning/Image01.html

    Please do make shore that the print head is place back correctly as the angle
    of the head is important, the service manual refers to a test problem to set
    the head up, but its also set by locking a screw, this does not get touched
    when removing the hard.

  20. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.components (More info?)

    On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 05:43:12 -0800, "Watson A.Name - \"Watt Sun, the Dark
    Remover\"" <NOSPAM@dslextreme.com> wrote:

    >"wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> I have an Epson 740 inkjet printer.
    >>
    >> After not using it for a while, I discovered that the inkjet nozzles
    >> were apparently clogged to the point where the "head cleaning routine"
    >> was of limited usefulness.
    >> The printouts show signs of missing lines and "bleeding fibers"
    >> indicating the presence of accumulated residue around the nozzles.
    >>
    >> I'd like to be able to free the print head carriage assembly
    >> so that I can wipe the front of the nozzles and clean them,
    >> but I can't find the right screws to remove.
    >>
    >> The Epson website has various manuals to download but they don't seem
    >> to have the one that I need. Their Product Information Guide on setup
    >> and testing (sc740_pg.pdf) mentions (on page 15,
    >> under Related Documentation) the "TM-SC467 Epson Stylus Color
    >> 440/640/740 Service Manual", but that publication is apparently
    >> nowhere to be found on their website.
    >>
    >> Can someone either
    >> (a) explain how to remove the print head assembly so the nozzles can
    >be
    >> cleaned or
    >> (b) mention a website where the necessary documentation is available
    >> for download or
    >> (c) if you have the document, send me a copy via email as an
    >attachment.
    >
    >The Epson inkjet printer is a field replaceable item. You throw away
    >the printer and replace it with another at the same or less price of a
    >set of ink cartridges for it. If you're smart, you'll get a printer
    >that has the nozzles built into the cartridge, such as the HP deskjet,
    >or similar.

    UTTER BOLLOCKS YOU KNOW F ALL.
    >I'm really serious about this. At work, the teachers go on vacation in
    >the summer, and when they come back in the fall, the Epsons are all that
    >way. So we just tell them, the Epson is not a district standard
    >printer, so we don't support it - sorry. If you get a new one, the
    >district standard is HP.
    >

    >> Thanks for your help.

  21. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.components (More info?)

    <puss@purrpurr.com> wrote in message
    | UTTER BOLLOCKS YOU KNOW F ALL.

    Plonk!
  22. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.components (More info?)

    "Tony" <auct1@pantsaah-haa.com> wrote in message

    > That was firstly exhausting and then enthralling to comprehend...
    > I write and like horror stories about the human pysche: would you like to
    > contact me and play name-em-and-shame-em, anonomously of course. No wonder
    > the Western World is despised for its waste mountain.
    > Tony.

    The Western World is despised by envious cretins who cannot, or will not,
    admit the benefits of concepts like sanitary water systems. Their faulty
    logic romanticizes the noble savage , wiping his ass with a stick and a pile
    of sand, and earning his progeny the reward of a 30-year life expectancy.

    Ed
    wb6wsn
  23. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.components (More info?)

    On 5 Nov 2004 05:09:50 -0800, wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com (wylbur37) wrote:

    >I have an Epson 740 inkjet printer.
    >
    >After not using it for a while, I discovered that the inkjet nozzles
    >were apparently clogged to the point where the "head cleaning routine"
    >was of limited usefulness.
    >The printouts show signs of missing lines and "bleeding fibers"
    >indicating the presence of accumulated residue around the nozzles.
    >
    >I'd like to be able to free the print head carriage assembly
    >so that I can wipe the front of the nozzles and clean them,
    >but I can't find the right screws to remove.
    >
    >The Epson website has various manuals to download but they don't seem
    >to have the one that I need. Their Product Information Guide on setup
    >and testing (sc740_pg.pdf) mentions (on page 15,
    >under Related Documentation) the "TM-SC467 Epson Stylus Color
    >440/640/740 Service Manual", but that publication is apparently
    >nowhere to be found on their website.
    >
    >Can someone either
    >(a) explain how to remove the print head assembly so the nozzles can be
    >cleaned or
    >(b) mention a website where the necessary documentation is available
    >for download or
    >(c) if you have the document, send me a copy via email as an attachment.
    >

    >Thanks for your help.

    I have a site that shows you how to do it, not to hard but you must also clean
    up the parking station as that get paper dust and hair on it and dried ink,
    that must be done so that the print head it covered and has a good vacuum..

    I did mine by using this article, and the 740 works great afterwards..

    I use a stuff called Spray and Wipe, 2mm in a flat tray, left the print here
    face down in it for say one hour, then did it again, also move the head a
    little up and down in the liquid, the liquid does not cover the head just the
    face of it.

    Then did it again with clean water, then dried it off with clean tissue

    Yes here is the URL..

    http://www.inkjetart.com/tips/cleaning/Image01.html

    Please do make shore that the print head is place back correctly as the angle
    of the head is important, the service manual refers to a test problem to set
    the head up, but its also set by locking a screw, this does not get touched
    when removing the hard.

    Some info on Ajax Spray n Wipe, a Amonia/detergent based all purpose cleaner

    http://new.thecleanmachine.co.uk/products/products418.aspx

    Ajax, Colgate-Palmolive

    Also use buy a local Printer repair shop, and used by them on Epson printers

  24. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.components (More info?)

    "Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"" <NOSPAM@dslextreme.com> wrote
    in message news:10oqfdkqtdk3q94@corp.supernews.com...

    > "NSM" <nowrite@to.me> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Roger Hamlett" <rogerspamignored@ttelmah.demon.co.uk> wrote in
    > message
    > >
    > > | Interesting. The exact opposite of me. We have over 300 printer in
    > the
    > > | company I work for. The running costs for HP equivalent models,
    > worked out
    > > | over double that of the Epsons, with a hige number of 'early
    > replacement'
    > > | cartridges. We have had just two Epson's develop clogged nozzles,
    > and both
    > > | cleared.
    > >
    > > Allegedly the price for inkjet ink works out to be several times the
    > price
    > > of the finest French Champagne.

    > *That* is why they say, "Never argue with someone who buys ink by the
    > gallon."
    >

    > ;-))
    >
    > http://www.funny2.com/never.htm
    >
    > http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2004/06/13/editorial_mayorluken.html

    And the one significant thing that separates you from the educational
    establishment is that word business.They don't feel the purse strings
    tightening and when not held accountable , plain just don't account.
    Looking through their setup it is quite asy to imagine that it would pay
    them to have a spending ceiling set and have one person appointed to
    maintain and renovate printers.
    If their on call Tech is from the supplying company I wonder what he would
    recommend when refurbish or a new replacement is the decision :-)
    I don't know about the USA so much but in the UK that is our taxes being
    abused.
    Tony
    --
    Spit less spotlets - spotless inkjet prints...
    http://www.inkylinkusa.com 30% more ink
    http://www.aah-haa.com/affiliates.htm
    And a nice little earner...
  25. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.components (More info?)

    "wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I have an Epson 740 inkjet printer.
    >
    > After not using it for a while, I discovered that the inkjet nozzles
    > were apparently clogged to the point where the "head cleaning routine"
    > was of limited usefulness.
    > The printouts show signs of missing lines and "bleeding fibers"
    > indicating the presence of accumulated residue around the nozzles.
    >
    > I'd like to be able to free the print head carriage assembly
    > so that I can wipe the front of the nozzles and clean them,
    > but I can't find the right screws to remove.
    >
    > The Epson website has various manuals to download but they don't seem
    > to have the one that I need. Their Product Information Guide on setup
    > and testing (sc740_pg.pdf) mentions (on page 15,
    > under Related Documentation) the "TM-SC467 Epson Stylus Color
    > 440/640/740 Service Manual", but that publication is apparently
    > nowhere to be found on their website.
    >
    > Can someone either
    > (a) explain how to remove the print head assembly so the nozzles can be
    > cleaned or
    > (b) mention a website where the necessary documentation is available
    > for download or
    > (c) if you have the document, send me a copy via email as an attachment.
    >

    > Thanks for your help.

    My original 600dpi by 1200dpi '600' model ran for 2 years with a cleaning
    cycle needed only rarely. Cartridges refilled by syringe. Used litres of
    ink. Scrapped it as the flex PCB to the head 'fatigued'.
    My next '740' model (same as yours) used to clog up if left for more than 10
    days. (finer nozzles but cartridges still syringe refillable) Forced to
    become an expert on nozzle cleaning, most of the nozzles could usually be
    cleared. Finally blocked up and stayed blocked so I scrapped it.
    Last model was the 'C82'. 1000's by 1000's of dpi. Chipped, non refillable
    cartridges, huge cartridge costs. Blocked after 7 days of non use. Managed a
    month and numerous cleaning cycles before heads permenantly blocked. Usual
    unclog methods failed, ended up trying pressurised hot ammonia through the
    nozzles (caused the nozzle driver I.C to melt :-). Scrapped it.
    Pi***d off with Epsons, bought a next to nothing cost HP 3650. Quality not
    brilliant, software is shite but have had it 10 months with not a single
    problem, it has yet to block up, has taken none of my time and best of all,
    the original cartridges can still be refilled, so costs are near zero.
    Moral of the story is that Epsom just don't know how to make high dpi
    printers that work in the real world.
    regards
    john
  26. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.components (More info?)

    "john jardine" <john@jjdesigns.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

    | Moral of the story is that Epsom just don't know how to make high dpi
    | printers that work in the real world.

    I believe the true moral is that Epson will do most anything to get you to
    buy their ink carts, possibly including not making too great of a printer.
    Still, my Stylus II is still running and I bought a lifetime's supply of
    real Epson carts on eBay for pennies, so it's a toss up which gives up
    first.

  27. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.components (More info?)

> [...]
    refillable
    > cartridges, huge cartridge costs. Blocked after 7 days of non use.
    Managed a
    > month and numerous cleaning cycles before heads permenantly blocked.
    Usual
    > unclog methods failed, ended up trying pressurised hot ammonia through
    the
    > nozzles (caused the nozzle driver I.C to melt :-). Scrapped it.
    > Pi***d off with Epsons, bought a next to nothing cost HP 3650.
    Quality not
    > brilliant, software is shite but have had it 10 months with not a
    single
    > problem, it has yet to block up, has taken none of my time and best of
    all,
    > the original cartridges can still be refilled, so costs are near zero.
    > Moral of the story is that Epsom just don't know how to make high dpi

    Amen. You're preaching to the choir!
  28. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    That might explain why the US is rapidly running out of potable water,
    and is now trying to negotiate to get more from Canada.

    Talk about not learning about the value of not spoiling one's own nest!

    Believe me, in spite of your arrogant belief that Western Culture has
    such great benefits, they pretty much invented the cancer epidemic, and
    could learn a great deal from more "primitive" cultures about not
    exhausting resources beyond the ability of replenishment. Much of
    "Western Civilization" doesn't have a clue about what truly encompasses
    "sustainable lifestyles".

    How long do you honestly believe the US could survive, for instance, if
    the population was forced to produce it's own food, supply it's own
    energy sources, building materials, minerals and metals, and have to
    cope with its own waste?

    Why don't you swear off taking any materials you currently consume from
    those "noble savages" with their "30 year life spans" and see what you
    have left in your cultured society? Then we'll see who is the envious one.

    Art

    Ed Price wrote:

    > "Tony" <auct1@pantsaah-haa.com> wrote in message
    >

    >> That was firstly exhausting and then enthralling to comprehend...
    >> I write and like horror stories about the human pysche: would you like to
    >> contact me and play name-em-and-shame-em, anonomously of course. No
    >> wonder
    >> the Western World is despised for its waste mountain.
    >> Tony.
    >

    > The Western World is despised by envious cretins who cannot, or will
    > not, admit the benefits of concepts like sanitary water systems. Their
    > faulty logic romanticizes the noble savage , wiping his ass with a stick
    > and a pile of sand, and earning his progeny the reward of a 30-year life
    > expectancy.
    >
    > Ed
    > wb6wsn

  29. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.components (More info?)

    "Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"" <NOSPAM@dslextreme.com> wrote
    in message news:10ouur8q586ea93@corp.supernews.com...

    > "john jardine" <john@jjdesigns.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have an Epson 740 inkjet printer.
    [clip]

    > Amen. You're preaching to the choir!

    Watson. I think it was yourself, (a post a couple of years ago) that caused
    the scales to drop from mine eyes and guided me onto the true path of
    printer righteousnous. :-).
    regards
    john
  30. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    puss@purrpurr.com wrote:

    >>Once again, I would like suggest to people who read her and elsewhere
    >>about removing the heads of Epson printers to clean them are being
    >>poorly served by this advice.
    >>
    >>The heads can be cleaned without opening the case, or removing the heads
    >>in nearly every situation, and by opening the case or removing the heads
    >>you subject the printer to a greater risk of damage.
    >>
    >>I have instructions available for unclogging Epson printers which I
    >>provide free of charge to anyone who requests it from me via my email
    >>address.
    >>

    >>Art
    >>

    >>john jardine wrote:
    >

    > Removing the Print head IS THE ONLY way to do it correctly, that is the way
    > Printer Service shops do it..
    >

    > Any other way it a hack..

    Yes, fine, call it a hack. It's a hack that works well over 95% of the
    time, and does so with almost zero risk of harming anything, and you
    don't even have to own a screwdriver, or know how to open the case.

    As I have stated dozens of times, I know of no cases of anyone who has
    damaged their printer using the techniques I offer, I know of MANY cases
    of people who have damaged BOTH their printers and their printer's heads
    via removal and cleaning outside the printer.

    While service depots may indeed remove the heads to clean them (and they
    all do not, because I happen to know of several using the technique I
    came up with) service depots not only have full Epson service manuals,
    but also have access to Epson parts which they will gladly charge the
    client for should they damage the printer during repair.

    Further, I know of literally dozens of Epson printers which went to
    service depots where they were informed "your printer requires new
    heads" which I have either personally cleaned, or told the people how to
    clean using the methods I suggest.

    I have provided my Epson Cleaning Manual to thousands of people at this
    point. I have made exactly ZERO financially from doing so. I don't
    sell any Epson parts, I don't sell inks, I don't sell magic "cleaning
    fluids". If it didn't work, you'd think by now the net would be full of
    hundreds of complaints about how the methods didn't work, wouldn't you?
    Instead, I get a steady flow of requests for the manual daily coming
    from dozens of sources, (and I only post to this newsgroup). There is
    even some guy on eBay selling what appears to be mainly a set of URLs on
    Epson head cleaning for about $8 a pop.

    Why do I do it for free? I do it because I am trying to keep perfectly
    good printers out of the landfills and to protect people from
    suggestions like yours, and web sites which suggest forcing fluid or air
    through the heads which often lead to useless damaged printers. At
    least once a week, I have to deliver an RIP for a printer to someone who
    followed either the advice to remove the heads or forced liquid into the
    heads and ended up with a completely dead printer head.

    In cases of head clogs (not head failures, which unfortunately, I can't
    help fix other than suggesting a head replacement) I can count on one
    hand the number of people who have been unable to resolve the problem
    after reading any applying the suggestions I provide.

    Print head removal on Epson printers to clear clogs is potentially
    dangerous to the printer and unnecessary, plain and simple. You can
    call what I offer a hack. I'll call it effective.

    Art
  31. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.components (More info?)

    Hello,

    You'll be glad to know that i am a printer technican and i repair
    printers for a living, If you need a diagram for the 740 epson
    carriage assembley reply to me leave me your email i can attach the
    diagram for you.

    OK

    Take Care
    Martin

    > > I have an Epson 740 inkjet printer.
    > >
    > > After not using it for a while, I discovered that the inkjet nozzles
    > > were apparently clogged to the point where the "head cleaning routine"
    > > was of limited usefulness.
    > > The printouts show signs of missing lines and "bleeding fibers"
    > > indicating the presence of accumulated residue around the nozzles.
    > >
    > > I'd like to be able to free the print head carriage assembly
    > > so that I can wipe the front of the nozzles and clean them,
    > > but I can't find the right screws to remove.

  32. Hi Guys!
    Here's how I uncloggen the head.
    First, I want to say that Epson Stylus 740 although old is a very well built printer. One of those that are made to last. And no chips on the casettes too.
    At first I tried all solution mentioned there with no success. The I took a syringe with windex, removed the casette and put the tip of the syringe right into the nozzle that goes into the tape. Then sprayed the alcohol with pressure. I repeated it few times and bintgo - the head got unclogged.

Printers Electronic Epson SCI Inkjet Peripherals