System restore doesn't work

a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2004 6:24:25 AM

I cannot get the system restore function to restore to any
restore point I've tried. It goes through all the motions
and then when it reboots I get the message "your computer
cannot be restored to [any date I chose] restore point",
or something very similar.

Can anyone offer any advice please? I run NAV and so that
problem should not be a virus.

I don't know what I should do about this, as I have found
the system restore very useful. As my graphics card
driver appears to be corrupted now it would be good to be
able to restore it to a time it wasn't corrupted, instead
I have to go through a load of rigmarole to reintall it
(if I can even find it!). Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

pammi

More about : system restore work

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2004 10:48:35 AM

Hi Pammi,

You'll have to go through the rigamaroll to reinstall the card driver.

Once System Restore goes bad, the only thing you can do is stop it and
restart it. Start/run services.msc, locate the SR service and doubleclick
it. Click the stop button, then set the startup type dropdown to disabled.
Click apply/ok, then reboot.

Then, check the "System Volume Information folder" on each drive (you may
need to set folder options/view tab to see hidden and system folders for
this) and delete any contents. Reverse the steps to restart it.

Be forewarned that doing this removes all existing restore points, but it
doesn't really matter as they weren't working anyways.

If this does not help, follow these steps to reinstall System Restore:

Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab, set it to "Show hidden
files and folders" and "Show the contents of system folders", then uncheck
"Hide protected operating system files [recommended]". Also uncheck "Hide
extensions for known file types".

Then, open Windows Explorer from Start/All Programs and go to the
C:\Windows\Inf folder. Locate the sr.inf file, right-click it and choose
install.

You may need to either insert your WinXP CD or know where your I386 folder
is located on the hard drive. You may also need to know where the
\ServicePackFiles folder is (usually under the Windows directory).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"pammi" <pammi_i@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I cannot get the system restore function to restore to any
> restore point I've tried. It goes through all the motions
> and then when it reboots I get the message "your computer
> cannot be restored to [any date I chose] restore point",
> or something very similar.
>
> Can anyone offer any advice please? I run NAV and so that
> problem should not be a virus.
>
> I don't know what I should do about this, as I have found
> the system restore very useful. As my graphics card
> driver appears to be corrupted now it would be good to be
> able to restore it to a time it wasn't corrupted, instead
> I have to go through a load of rigmarole to reintall it
> (if I can even find it!). Any advice would be great.
>
> Thanks,
>
> pammi

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2004 10:48:36 AM

Rick,

Thanks for this, it is a pretty comprehensive reply!
Hopefully I'll be able to follow the instructions when I
return to the offending PC later. Everything seems to be
working, except for the graphics and the system restore,
so it should be fine.

One thing though, you mention the WinXP CD - I only have
the factory reset CD as the machine came with XP installed
by the manufacturer. Will that do as well as the full
version CD if I need it? If not, whih files am I likely
to need off it please? I am afraid that as soon as I put
that in the drive I will lose everything (but am backing
up all my data, email and setup files just in case I have
to do that anyway!).

I don't see a problem with locating the folders, as the
search still works okay.

Thanks for your help,

pammi

a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2004 5:46:54 PM

Hi Pammi,

In most cases with the preinstalled machines you use the I386 folder on the
hard drive, not the CD.

--

> Rick,
>
> Thanks for this, it is a pretty comprehensive reply!
> Hopefully I'll be able to follow the instructions when I
> return to the offending PC later. Everything seems to be
> working, except for the graphics and the system restore,
> so it should be fine.
>
> One thing though, you mention the WinXP CD - I only have
> the factory reset CD as the machine came with XP installed
> by the manufacturer. Will that do as well as the full
> version CD if I need it? If not, whih files am I likely
> to need off it please? I am afraid that as soon as I put
> that in the drive I will lose everything (but am backing
> up all my data, email and setup files just in case I have
> to do that anyway!).
>
> I don't see a problem with locating the folders, as the
> search still works okay.
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> pammi

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2004 5:58:56 PM

Well, after all that, it didn't work, mainly because I
didn't feel up to searching for hidden files the way my
graphics were (the search display was very bad indeed)
and partly because the I then found the driver type and
attempted a download form driver.com and it kept crashing
at the same point.

So basically I gave up and did a full factory reset. I
needn't have worried need I? I thought a full factory
reset would be just like the old reformat/reinstall we
used to do on windows '95 all the time, but it's just
like a system restore - leaves all your files and email
intact (though I did back them all up first anyway). So
that's cool, or I'd be offline for the next couple of
days reintalling everything.

Two things I want to know now though, and one I'll post
seperately about) is how do I changed my display font
settings (must have chosen the wrong one at startup - the
default was US everything and I'm in UK England)? And
also, if factory reset doesn't remove all the old data
from all the drives, then how on earth do I get rid of a
virus, supposing one should ever get through my
NAV/Zonealarm chastity belt?

pammi

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2004 2:07:38 AM

Hi,

a) Control Panel/Regional and Language options

b) Your disk did a reinstall (or parallel install), not a repair. The old
files are there, but you now have new user accounts. You will likely also
find that programs need to be reinstalled as well. It basically wiped the
old system folder (bugs and all) and gave you a new one.

--

> Well, after all that, it didn't work, mainly because I
> didn't feel up to searching for hidden files the way my
> graphics were (the search display was very bad indeed)
> and partly because the I then found the driver type and
> attempted a download form driver.com and it kept crashing
> at the same point.
>
> So basically I gave up and did a full factory reset. I
> needn't have worried need I? I thought a full factory
> reset would be just like the old reformat/reinstall we
> used to do on windows '95 all the time, but it's just
> like a system restore - leaves all your files and email
> intact (though I did back them all up first anyway). So
> that's cool, or I'd be offline for the next couple of
> days reintalling everything.
>
> Two things I want to know now though, and one I'll post
> seperately about) is how do I changed my display font
> settings (must have chosen the wrong one at startup - the
> default was US everything and I'm in UK England)? And
> also, if factory reset doesn't remove all the old data
> from all the drives, then how on earth do I get rid of a
> virus, supposing one should ever get through my
> NAV/Zonealarm chastity belt?
>
> pammi

August 21, 2004 12:02:13 PM

Heres what worked for me (about an 80% fix). It turns out in my case
the files in System Volume Information directory were corrupt due to a
bad problem with Ram.
I was however able to change the name of c:system volume information
to system volume information_old. I then created a new c:\system
volume information directory.
Then I hit START - accessories - system tools - system restore and on
the left hand side hit the link to go to settings (NOTE: if you try to
access by right-clicking on My computer - properties, the tab for
system restore is GONE!. I TURNED OFF SYSTEM RESTORE and rebooted the
PC.
Then turned back on.
Hit Start - access - ssytem tools - system restore - settings, and
re-enabled System restore. Then closed.
Then start - access - system tools -system restorte - and I created my
first restore point in MONTHS!!!!
YEah,
Hope this helps.

!