PC won't boot up

hollers100

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I have just instaled a new MB (K8s-MX) CPU (athlon sempron 3100+)
2 x 512 ram. but when i switch the PC on, the hard drive spins up and the fan for CPU runs but i get a blank screen with no beeps from the speaker, was told that my old MB and CPU had both gone.
any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks

h3llscream

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Well for starters what I would do is remove any expansion cards, (video cards, sound cards, etc) and also remove both sticks of memory unplug all your ide devices. Try powering it on then and listen to hear if it will beep any and if it doesn't it could be one of three things. Possibly it could be shorting out somewhere on the case, or you may have gotten a bad cpu, or you may have a bad motherboard. To eliminate the case of a short you will need to remove the motherboard and place it on a non conductive surface along with the power supply and power switch and try powering it on that way and listen to see it will beep at all. If it doesn't then likely your mobo or cpu is bad. You will have to try the cpu in a known good mobo to know if it is your mobo or your cpu.
On the other hand if it does beep turn it off then start by adding your video card, power it on it again if you hear it start beeping then power it off and add in one stick of the memory. If when you power it on it still doesn't post power it off and remove the memory and try the other stick. If after this it still doesn't post you may have bad memory or that brand may not be compatible with you mobo.
It can be a pain in arse to trace down problems like this. All you can do is go through the process of elimination. Hopefully this will help you out some to find you problem.

WebKill

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Is your monitor light green or orange/red? that will tell you if its recieving a signal from the computer, if its not green then check your vid card. Also be sure that your new hardware is secure in its place. h3llscream has good advice, but check for the simple things first to save yourself a hastle if you can. If your hardware was ajar then the computer (not the speakers) would most likely beep at you during startup; if the Vid card is bad, then you wouldn't see anything (obviously); if the ram is bad, then your computer would either beep at you during startup or blue screen you.

hollers100

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
should of read the maual properly first - there is another plug that powers up the CPU - working now - thanks for your you help, on other problem old system had 2 hard drives and 2cd drives, when i connect them up on the new MB it does not see any, but when i dissconnect one hard drive and one cd it works ok ??

thanks again

Keith

h3llscream

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Glad you got most of it figured out. As for you HDD and optical drive problem just make sure the jumper settings are correct on the back of the drives. Double check settings in your bios and make sure that both the primary and secondary ide channels are enabled and set to auto. Also one thing I have also ran acros on more than a few occassions is when you plug the molex connector into the device sometimes the contacts inside the plug do not mate up correctly and will be pushed back out of the plug and not make contact with the pins in the molex socket of the drive. May be one other thing you check.

hollers100

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
all working fine, checked all the jumper settings and it turned out to be the IDE cable, fitted a new one and BINGO all working, thanks for your info and help :D

pat

Expert
should of read the maual properly first - there is another plug that powers up the CPU - working now - thanks for your you help, on other problem old system had 2 hard drives and 2cd drives, when i connect them up on the new MB it does not see any, but when i dissconnect one hard drive and one cd it works ok ??

thanks again

Keith

It is the correct order to do thing.. Read, build, post. But you did build, post read, post.

Sometime, you can post, read, build, post. Some do post, post, post,post and not built. But some do read, build and never post...

What a strange world...