End of Socket 939

agent14

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Hi. On this page it says the end of socket 939.

amd athlon fx-69's dual core and the end of socket 939
So socket 939 is ending then...I've got a question. Which socket is next? Socket 940? I was planning on purchasing a socket 939 motherboard but now if it won't be supported I guess I'd have to go with a socket 940 motherboard or whatever comes next. Could someone please tell me which socket is next?

Admiral_Cecil

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
Hello,

Socket M2 is next. It does have 940 pins, but current 940 cpu's will not work due to their pin design.

Remeber the 939/ 940 (includes 754) came out as the going to be outdated soon generation.

mpjesse

Splendid
AMD will continue to support Socket 939 until well into next year (that is to say, they'll keep on making socket 939 processors already in the channels). The only big change here is they won't be making any NEW 939 processors after the FX-60.

So, go ahead and get a Socket 939 board. M2 Socket boards will be ridiculously expensive when they come out anyways. So will the processors.

-mpjesse

pepper

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2004
what about the 754 socket. i just purchased one.
what is the future of this socket?
will it be phased out like the 939 socket?

glidingsmoothly

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2005
The release of the m2 will mean bargains for 939's which is something to consider. I doubt m2 will be significantly faster then their 939 counterparts, for a while anyway. They will however be significantly more expensive.

endyen

Splendid
AM2 may not be much faster for single core chips, but for dual core, that"s a different matter.
There haven't been many specs released for AM2, but speculation has it that the new ODMC will work with DDR2 666. This would represent a 2/3s increase in available memory band width.
It's not like the single cores need it, but dual cores could probably take better advantage.

minorflex

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
Bargins for socket 939?

Im thinking of getting a upgrade on my rig and eyein the dfi nforce 4 sli dr board.

shoudl i wait a bit for prices to fall or grab it now?

im put off my dual cores lack of support of applications

however i'd hate for some 6-9months later everything is dual core :(

SiLeNtEuPhOrIa

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
AM2 may not be much faster for single core chips, but for dual core, that"s a different matter.
There haven't been many specs released for AM2, but speculation has it that the new ODMC will work with DDR2 666. This would represent a 2/3s increase in available memory band width.
It's not like the single cores need it, but dual cores could probably take better advantage.

More available bandwidth can be good, but it doesnt always translate to faster speeds. Take a look at Intel for a minute (painfull, I know). Intel has always had higher clock speed than AMD, and more bandwidth (and has even supported DDR2 667Mhz for quite awhile now. However, AMD still continues to kick Intel's A$$ when it comes to speed, due to design. Intel has opted for channeling raw power for higher speed, while AMD is more refined and concentrated, and I think it's clear who the winner here is!

The moral of my little story is that more voltage and raw power doesnt always mean better performance.

My 2c
- SiLeNt -