My Ultimate Machine...What should I do?

knighttime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2004
Ok, I'm looking at building "my ultimate machine" and have come across a couple of scenarios. I pretty much have decided to go with the AMD X2 4400+ processor. Solid processor and proformance for the money. I generally have a few things going on so I like the dual processor for that purpose and I am a pretty big gamer (love cs, hl, call of duty etc...). I feel like I got a good price @$479. The memory and power supply are MEM: 1 GB OCZ PC 3200 GOLD Lat=2-2-2-5; PS Enermax Liberty 620W; Gigabyte Auroro case w/water cooling system.

With that in mind, I am looking at the following motherboards and video card set ups.....

1) MB: DFI LanParty RDX200 MB; VC: ATI X1800XT 512MB DDR3; 2) DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert;

-OR-

2) MB: DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert; VC: BFG GeForce 7800 GTX OC 256 MB DDR3

I can't make up my mind. Both setups are similarly priced. The benefits of the ATI setup is more vc memory and the crossfire setup allows for different video cards. Therefore, I could actually upgrade my video card in a year or so and still utilize the X1800XT as the secondary. However, the nvidia has less memory but probably more overall power but only allows for the same video cards in SLI mode.

What do you guys think? Of course, any other comments on the CPU , Mem and PS are welcome. Your help is certainly appreciated.

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
"You don't want to sell me any death sticks"
"You will go home and rethink you life"
"You don't need to see his identification"
"And most of all you will... Agree"

iwanabe007

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
I'd also recommend the DFI NF4 Expert and GTX 512.
Also be REALLY cautious the Liberty. All four that I've seen have blown up within 5-25 minutes in power-hungry systems. Not one of them has been up to the task. Give them a couple more months, and they should be up to par with the rest of Enermax's products....just not right now.

RichPLS

Champion
I have an Asus A8R-MVP with an Opteron 175 and a HiS X1800XT and the board is pretty stable and a good performer.

I got 9652 3DMarks05 and 4479 3DMarks06...
which ain't so bad...