A2K - "Could not open 'Admin'; File already in use"

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

I have a W2K Terminal Server farm with Office 2000
installed.
We have recently found that if a user with Administrative
access is the first to open an Access 2000 database, then
any other (normal) users are unable to run Access. They
get a message
"Could not open 'Admin'; File already in use"

Using Sysinternal's Filemon I have discovered that if an
administrative account is the first to open access, then a
file system.ldb is created in c:\program files\common
files\System, but that a normal user doesn't have
permissions to update the lock file!

Also, if a normal user is first to fire up Access, then
when an administrative account open Access, then the
system.ldb file isn't created.

Any other users experienced this? Any fixes?

Regards

Robert
4 answers Last reply
More about could open admin file
  1. Hello,

    Did you find the solution for this problem? I am facing the same issue while openin an access database. Error msg is Could not use 'Admin'; file already in use.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Vinpri
  2. Quote:
    Hello,

    Did you find the solution for this problem? I am facing the same issue while openin an access database. Error msg is Could not use 'Admin'; file already in use.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Vinpri

    Same problem here. I just changed 'c:\program files\common files\System' folder rights - I added Modify rights to domain users. Maybe not best solution, but it works.
  3. Salam,

    i had same problem, but finaly i found solution.

    right click on folder where u put DB, choose property then security & check all cases to get them full access on this folder

    thats all what I did to avoid message "Could not open 'Admin'; File already in use"

    Salam,
  4. Salam,

    i had same problem, but finaly i found solution.

    right click on folder where u put DB, choose property then security & check all cases to get them full access on this folder

    thats all what I did to avoid message "Could not open 'Admin'; File already in use"

    Salam,

Open Access Windows