CPU cooling question

Fndr7070

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I recently build a new PC using the P4 640 3.2 Ghz chip (prescott core), and the asus p5ld2-deluxe motherboard. I wanted to built a versatile computer (good for gaming, audio recording, etc), and a friend recommended my setup.

Anyway, everything runs fine, except I think the CPU gets too hot. Idling (or with a light load... web browsing, listening to music, etc), the CPU is usually at about 50 degrees celsius, give or take a degree or two. This is according to the asus PC probe app. However, when I play F.E.A.R., the temp shoots up to like, 79 celsius. I read reviews on newegg for my chip, and some people complained about heat issues with the stock heatsink fan. Others had no problems with the stock heatsink fan.

So, am I going to have to get a better heatsink, or is this expected behavior for the chip? If I need a new fan, any recommendations? If I remove the stock fan, will the heatsink pad/paste from the stock heatsink stick to the chip, and if so, how do I safely clean it off?

leorick

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
oh dear... did u say Prescott? 8O

I think you got a microwave oven there, lol, kidding aside, you should get a better cooling solution. Prescott core based cpu's are famous for being "hot heads". :D

you might wanna read this article for a little insight.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/11/14/the_p4/

As for your questions, yes i guess this is an expected behavior for your Prescott chip. There are a lot of good cooling hsf out there like Zalman. If you remove the heatsink, the thermal pad can be easily be removed and replaced by a thermal compound. Or you could go for liquid cooling.

Fndr7070

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
hmm. that article seems to be saying that unless you follow intel's EXACT thermal specifications for the case and venting, that the cooling won't be effective.

I don't believe the processer has throttled due to heat, because I haven't noticed any performance issues. when I played F.E.A.R. (I haven't since I noticed how hot the chip got running it), I had no performance issues other than an occasional hiccup in the frame rate.

I guess I will have to get a better heatsink fan, b/c I don't want to damage the chip. Doing that makes be a bit nervous though because I'm still a bit of a novice building computers. For instance, how do I clean the thermal compound off the chip when I remove the stock heatsink fan?

Fndr7070

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I have the antec sonata II. It was one of the more pricey cases on newegg. It has an exhaust vent that sits above the heatsink fan. I can also put a 92mm fan in the exhaust vent (which I tried) but it didn't really help cooling any.

Fndr7070

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
typical room temp. 68-70 F, something like that.

my case also has another mount for a 120mm fan. gonna see if putting that in there helps any. because it runs fine under normal load (maybe tops our at 52C or so when web browing, playing music, etc). it gets hot when I do more intensive stuff (playing games, ripping music, etc).