HD previously in raid 0 won't format. Help!

rushmore

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
yesterday i changed my hard drives from two sata wd 2500 in raid 0 to a single raptor 150. i did a fresh xp install on the raptor which went okay, but when i tried to use each of the wd 2500 as separate storage drives (not in raid 0) i could only format one of the drives. the drive i could not format reported an incorrect disc volume of around 450 gb which previously was the total striped raid 0 volume. the drive i could format reported a correct disc volume of around 250. i used disk manager in xp to re-format the drives.
has anybody encountered this when using drives previously in raid 0 as single storage drives? is there a way to salvage the drive that won't format? thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------

a8n32-sli
opteron 148 oc'd 2.8
raptor 150 (boot)
wd 2500 x 1 (storage)
ocz pc4000 2 gb
xfx 7800 gtx
x-fi xtreme
antec truepower 550

rushmore

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
in raid 0, the two 2500s were in the nvidia controller ports 3 + 4. right now i've got the raptor in port 1 and the 2500 in port 3.

pat

Expert
unplug the raptor, plug the drive that you cannot format, start windows install, have the drive listed, delete all partition existing on that drive and you'll be fine. Normally, before removing an array, it is better to delete the array first and remove the disk after..

Tattysnuc

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
If that doesn;t work, try a low level format, or just rewriting the MBR and last tracks of the fisk.

The software is usually available form the hard drive manufacturers web site...

pat

Expert
If that doesn;t work, try a low level format, or just rewriting the MBR and last tracks of the fisk.

The software is usually available form the hard drive manufacturers web site...

Low formatting a drive is something that to many peoples don't understand.

Low level formatting was usefull with old RLL disk interface and another one I forget, but has been make unavailable for IDE drive since ATA exist ...

Low level formatting meant redefining the sector, cluster... on the drive. Now, when you plug in the drive, everything is already done, and cannot be undone. Writting 0 to the drive or deleting MBR is not low level.. it is simply wiping..

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Low level formatting was usefull with old RLL disk interface and another one I forget, but has been make unavailable for IDE drive since ATA exist ...

MFM.

But those aren't interfaces. The interface was ST-506. MFM & RLL are encoding methods of encoding the data on the drive.

I loved getting 60Meg out of my 40 meg drives by buying cheaper MFM drives, plugging them into my RLL controller and doing a real low-level format.

Mike.

FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
Definitely don't ever low level format, it's completely and utterly unnecessary these days!

I had the same issue with my drives when I broke up my array, I just plugged the old driver into the ports they were connected to before and used the raid manager to delete the array. I do believe the raid partition info is in the MBR of the 0 drive.

Tattysnuc

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Low level formatting HAS fixed problems for me when the MBR has become corrupt...... I dont understand why you are so ANTI it.....

Drives can become corrupted by changing the chipsets on which the Raid array operated. I know, because that is EXACTLY what happened to mine. The ONLY way to remedy that was to restore the drive to its new state. The only way I knew to do that was to Low Level it....

FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
A low level format for fixing the MBR is like killing a fly with a sledge hammer. You can use the m$ recovery console and I believe Maxtor and Seagate make utilities for wiping the MBR.

pat

Expert

MFM.

But those aren't interfaces. The interface was ST-506. MFM & RLL are encoding methods of encoding the data on the drive.

I loved getting 60Meg out of my 40 meg drives by buying cheaper MFM drives, plugging them into my RLL controller and doing a real low-level format.

Mike.

You're right..MFM.. I did not have the chance to play a lot with them, at the time they were expensive..

I don't quite remember what they were and how they worked, But I remember about DMDRVR.BIN.. or was it .COM...

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
I love you guys nostalgizing over the old, great, DOSasaurus days!

Just amazing stuff - the ground that was broken.

And, Fishmahn, I did the same thing with 40's. Small world.

rushmore

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
i took pat's advice, deleted the partition using windows install, and had no problem formatting the drive in disk manager. thanks for the help, pat!

pat

Expert
I love you guys nostalgizing over the old, great, DOSasaurus days!

Just amazing stuff - the ground that was broken.

And, Fishmahn, I did the same thing with 40's. Small world.

Did you play with the debug app, to access hdd at BIOS level with INT13? I did long ago.. You could do anything to a drive. That was nice. Don't remember if it was with IDE or older interface thou... I did a small assembler app that was called "fast" that was putting a new value right into the some place and make the CPU to run faster.. I did one called "slow" for the inverse..

Too bad I forgot these .. Anyway, I could have a 16 MHz 286 running near 20 MHz with that.. Yup.. MHz