Invoking Applications on the local machine from Terminal S..

Sameer

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

Hi All,

My application which is a desktop exe is being used byt the client over
Terminal services. They have Outlook running on there local machines all the
times.

when the user clicks on the Email button on a Report they are viewing in
my application( running in Terminal services) , i want to open a "New
Message" window on the local machine of the user and attach the report to
this "New message" window, my first though when the clients came up with this
requirement was NOT POSSIBLE, but then i came to know about this "Application
redirection" feature in Citreix where you can tell the server to invoke
applications on the local machines of the user.

Is this possible in Terminal Services\ Remote Desktop with any plug ins
like New moon( Tarentella) or any other plugs ins?

Please suggest!!

thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

Hi,

You can you Virtual Channel to archive this feature . The Virtual Channel
allows the communication
between Server and Client, you can do anything that you want: transfering
files, lauching program on the client machine ...etc . But you have to
program it

Regards

"sameer" <sameer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> My application which is a desktop exe is being used byt the client over
> Terminal services. They have Outlook running on there local machines all
the
> times.
>
> when the user clicks on the Email button on a Report they are viewing in
> my application( running in Terminal services) , i want to open a "New
> Message" window on the local machine of the user and attach the report to
> this "New message" window, my first though when the clients came up with
this
> requirement was NOT POSSIBLE, but then i came to know about this
"Application
> redirection" feature in Citreix where you can tell the server to invoke
> applications on the local machines of the user.
>
> Is this possible in Terminal Services\ Remote Desktop with any plug ins
> like New moon( Tarentella) or any other plugs ins?
>

> Please suggest!!
>
> thanks

Sameer

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

Thanks Thomas, that is a pretty helpful Lead. Can this programming of Virtual
Chanell be done using VB.NET\ VB6 or C#? If not which programming language
does it require.

Thanks

"ThomasTran" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You can you Virtual Channel to archive this feature . The Virtual Channel
> allows the communication
> between Server and Client, you can do anything that you want: transfering
> files, lauching program on the client machine ...etc . But you have to
> program it
>
> Regards
>
> "sameer" <sameer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > My application which is a desktop exe is being used byt the client over
> > Terminal services. They have Outlook running on there local machines all
> the
> > times.
> >
> > when the user clicks on the Email button on a Report they are viewing in
> > my application( running in Terminal services) , i want to open a "New
> > Message" window on the local machine of the user and attach the report to
> > this "New message" window, my first though when the clients came up with
> this
> > requirement was NOT POSSIBLE, but then i came to know about this
> "Application
> > redirection" feature in Citreix where you can tell the server to invoke
> > applications on the local machines of the user.
> >
> > Is this possible in Terminal Services\ Remote Desktop with any plug ins
> > like New moon( Tarentella) or any other plugs ins?
> >

> > Please suggest!!
> >
> > thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

The SDK is in Microsoft Platform SDK, C, C++ style programming
You can find more information here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/termserv/termserv/virtual_channel_client_dll.asp

I think with Citrix, they provide a new SDK that you can use .NET .
Longtime ago I have done a framework for using with VB6 (COM enable). You
can take
a look here : http://www21.brinkster.com/mctran2000//Default2.htm . You can
do something like that, it will
take about some weeks . You still can test this framework by setting back
the date on both server and client machine to before the expiry date.

Regards

Thomas T.

> Thanks Thomas, that is a pretty helpful Lead. Can this programming of
Virtual
> Chanell be done using VB.NET\ VB6 or C#? If not which programming language
> does it require.
>
> Thanks
>

> "ThomasTran" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > You can you Virtual Channel to archive this feature . The Virtual
Channel
> > allows the communication
> > between Server and Client, you can do anything that you want:
transfering
> > files, lauching program on the client machine ...etc . But you have to
> > program it
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > "sameer" <sameer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > My application which is a desktop exe is being used byt the client
over
> > > Terminal services. They have Outlook running on there local machines
all
> > the
> > > times.
> > >
> > > when the user clicks on the Email button on a Report they are
viewing in
> > > my application( running in Terminal services) , i want to open a "New
> > > Message" window on the local machine of the user and attach the report
> > > this "New message" window, my first though when the clients came up
with
> > this
> > > requirement was NOT POSSIBLE, but then i came to know about this
> > "Application
> > > redirection" feature in Citreix where you can tell the server to
invoke
> > > applications on the local machines of the user.
> > >
> > > Is this possible in Terminal Services\ Remote Desktop with any plug
ins
> > > like New moon( Tarentella) or any other plugs ins?
> > >

> > > Please suggest!!
> > >
> > > thanks

Sameer

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

Thanks for your help.
Have a ncie day.

"ThomasTran" wrote:

> The SDK is in Microsoft Platform SDK, C, C++ style programming
> You can find more information here:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/termserv/termserv/virtual_channel_client_dll.asp
>
> I think with Citrix, they provide a new SDK that you can use .NET .
> Longtime ago I have done a framework for using with VB6 (COM enable). You
> can take
> a look here : http://www21.brinkster.com/mctran2000//Default2.htm . You can
> do something like that, it will
> take about some weeks . You still can test this framework by setting back
> the date on both server and client machine to before the expiry date.
>
> Regards
>
> Thomas T.
>

> "sameer" <sameer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Thomas, that is a pretty helpful Lead. Can this programming of
> Virtual
> > Chanell be done using VB.NET\ VB6 or C#? If not which programming language
> > does it require.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > "ThomasTran" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > You can you Virtual Channel to archive this feature . The Virtual
> Channel
> > > allows the communication
> > > between Server and Client, you can do anything that you want:
> transfering
> > > files, lauching program on the client machine ...etc . But you have to
> > > program it
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > "sameer" <sameer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> over
> all
> > > the

> viewing in
> with
> > > this
> > > "Application
> invoke

> ins

Sameer

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

So in short you mean that i can use this brinsker VB wrapper over the
Microsoft SDK C\C++ classes to

1. Invoke an Outlook new mail message on the local machine of the user
2. Attach a file( actually residing on the server) to this new mail window.
I am imagining that this would need tranfer of the file data from the server
to client. Does this functionlity be done using the Brinsker VB wrapper?

thanks for your help and time.
Sameer