Canon s600 suddenly won't print at all

I have had my Canon s600 color printer for about three years now, and
it has worked absolutely great during that time--but today all of a
sudden it will not print at all. It seems to work fine mechanically,
but will not even put a smudge on the paper. I haven't printed
anything for awhile, probably a month, but it worked beautifully then,
and I've gone longer than that in the past without any problems.
I have tried the head-cleaning functions under the maintenance menu,
and tried some alcohol on the "mouth" of the cartridge, but none of
that has helped.
I'm using only the black ink since lately I only print text, and the
cartridge is fairly new and full (the color cartridges are empty and I
operate the printer on the "grayscale" setting).
Is there something else I can do before taking it someplace or
replacing it? I'm kind of in shock--this thing seemed so
indestructible!

Thanks for any help,
Peter L.

"plabord" <plabord@lycos.com> wrote in message
>I have had my Canon s600 color printer for about three years now, and
> it has worked absolutely great during that time--but today all of a
> sudden it will not print at all. It seems to work fine mechanically,
> but will not even put a smudge on the paper. I haven't printed
> anything for awhile, probably a month, but it worked beautifully then,
> and I've gone longer than that in the past without any problems.
> I have tried the head-cleaning functions under the maintenance menu,
> and tried some alcohol on the "mouth" of the cartridge, but none of
> that has helped.
> I'm using only the black ink since lately I only print text, and the
> cartridge is fairly new and full (the color cartridges are empty and I
> operate the printer on the "grayscale" setting).
> Is there something else I can do before taking it someplace or
> replacing it? I'm kind of in shock--this thing seemed so
> indestructible!

If you have already tried 3-4 deep cleanings in the printer, then at this
point (though I usually do not recommend it) you may want to try soaking the
nozzle area of the printhead in a shallow dish of VERY warm distilled water.
While it is not common for the printhead to clog after only a month of no
use, it is not unheard of.

If it does come down to replacing it Canon will offer a discount on a new
unit and ship the replacement to your door Next day at no extra charge.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

plabord wrote:

>I have had my Canon s600 color printer for about three years now, and
>it has worked absolutely great during that time--but today all of a
>sudden it will not print at all. It seems to work fine mechanically,
>but will not even put a smudge on the paper. I haven't printed
>anything for awhile, probably a month, but it worked beautifully then,
>and I've gone longer than that in the past without any problems.
>I have tried the head-cleaning functions under the maintenance menu,
>and tried some alcohol on the "mouth" of the cartridge, but none of
>that has helped.
>I'm using only the black ink since lately I only print text, and the
>cartridge is fairly new and full (the color cartridges are empty and I
>operate the printer on the "grayscale" setting).
>Is there something else I can do before taking it someplace or
>replacing it? I'm kind of in shock--this thing seemed so
>indestructible!
>
>Thanks for any help,
>Peter L.

Did you upgrade to WIN XP SP2 ? I have a MPC 600F and this one has a
known difficulty with SP2.

Frank

"PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message news:<6VVid.74034$UA.5467@lakeread08>...

> If you have already tried 3-4 deep cleanings in the printer, then at this
> point (though I usually do not recommend it) you may want to try soaking the
> nozzle area of the printhead in a shallow dish of VERY warm distilled water.
> While it is not common for the printhead to clog after only a month of no
> use, it is not unheard of.

Thanks for the suggestions. To be honest, I didn't even think about
pulling out the entire housing that holds the cartridges. I realized
that I could do this only after posting my message, and when I took a
look there, sure enough that nozzle was a mess. After cleaning it with
some alcohol the printer works great. It's weird how it got so bad so
quickly, though. Thanks again for the suggestions.

PL

> "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
>>
>> If you have already tried 3-4 deep cleanings in the printer, then at this
>> point (though I usually do not recommend it) you may want to try soaking
>> the
>> nozzle area of the printhead in a shallow dish of VERY warm distilled
>> water.
>> While it is not common for the printhead to clog after only a month of no
>> use, it is not unheard of.
>>

> Thanks for the suggestions. To be honest, I didn't even think about
> pulling out the entire housing that holds the cartridges. I realized
> that I could do this only after posting my message, and when I took a
> look there, sure enough that nozzle was a mess. After cleaning it with
> some alcohol the printer works great. It's weird how it got so bad so
> quickly, though. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Glad to here it worked out for you.
Some ink build-up on the bottom of the printhead is normal and should not be
of concern.
IF you do find yourself in position to wipe the bottom again try to avoid
alcohol.