Canon s600 suddenly won't print at all

I have had my Canon s600 color printer for about three years now, and
it has worked absolutely great during that time--but today all of a
sudden it will not print at all. It seems to work fine mechanically,
but will not even put a smudge on the paper. I haven't printed
anything for awhile, probably a month, but it worked beautifully then,
and I've gone longer than that in the past without any problems.
I have tried the head-cleaning functions under the maintenance menu,
and tried some alcohol on the "mouth" of the cartridge, but none of
that has helped.
I'm using only the black ink since lately I only print text, and the
cartridge is fairly new and full (the color cartridges are empty and I
operate the printer on the "grayscale" setting).
Is there something else I can do before taking it someplace or
replacing it? I'm kind of in shock--this thing seemed so
indestructible!

Thanks for any help,
Peter L.
4 answers Last reply
More about canon s600 suddenly print

    "plabord" <plabord@lycos.com> wrote in message
    >I have had my Canon s600 color printer for about three years now, and
    > it has worked absolutely great during that time--but today all of a
    > sudden it will not print at all. It seems to work fine mechanically,
    > but will not even put a smudge on the paper. I haven't printed
    > anything for awhile, probably a month, but it worked beautifully then,
    > and I've gone longer than that in the past without any problems.
    > I have tried the head-cleaning functions under the maintenance menu,
    > and tried some alcohol on the "mouth" of the cartridge, but none of
    > that has helped.
    > I'm using only the black ink since lately I only print text, and the
    > cartridge is fairly new and full (the color cartridges are empty and I
    > operate the printer on the "grayscale" setting).
    > Is there something else I can do before taking it someplace or
    > replacing it? I'm kind of in shock--this thing seemed so
    > indestructible!

    If you have already tried 3-4 deep cleanings in the printer, then at this
    point (though I usually do not recommend it) you may want to try soaking the
    nozzle area of the printhead in a shallow dish of VERY warm distilled water.
    While it is not common for the printhead to clog after only a month of no
    use, it is not unheard of.

    If it does come down to replacing it Canon will offer a discount on a new
    unit and ship the replacement to your door Next day at no extra charge.

    plabord wrote:

    >I have had my Canon s600 color printer for about three years now, and
    >it has worked absolutely great during that time--but today all of a
    >sudden it will not print at all. It seems to work fine mechanically,
    >but will not even put a smudge on the paper. I haven't printed
    >anything for awhile, probably a month, but it worked beautifully then,
    >and I've gone longer than that in the past without any problems.
    >I have tried the head-cleaning functions under the maintenance menu,
    >and tried some alcohol on the "mouth" of the cartridge, but none of
    >that has helped.
    >I'm using only the black ink since lately I only print text, and the
    >cartridge is fairly new and full (the color cartridges are empty and I
    >operate the printer on the "grayscale" setting).
    >Is there something else I can do before taking it someplace or
    >replacing it? I'm kind of in shock--this thing seemed so
    >indestructible!
    >
    >Thanks for any help,
    >Peter L.

    Did you upgrade to WIN XP SP2 ? I have a MPC 600F and this one has a
    known difficulty with SP2.

    Frank

    "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message news:<6VVid.74034$UA.5467@lakeread08>...

    > If you have already tried 3-4 deep cleanings in the printer, then at this
    > point (though I usually do not recommend it) you may want to try soaking the
    > nozzle area of the printhead in a shallow dish of VERY warm distilled water.
    > While it is not common for the printhead to clog after only a month of no
    > use, it is not unheard of.

    Thanks for the suggestions. To be honest, I didn't even think about
    pulling out the entire housing that holds the cartridges. I realized
    that I could do this only after posting my message, and when I took a
    look there, sure enough that nozzle was a mess. After cleaning it with
    some alcohol the printer works great. It's weird how it got so bad so
    quickly, though. Thanks again for the suggestions.

    PL

    > "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> If you have already tried 3-4 deep cleanings in the printer, then at this
    >> point (though I usually do not recommend it) you may want to try soaking
    >> the
    >> nozzle area of the printhead in a shallow dish of VERY warm distilled
    >> water.
    >> While it is not common for the printhead to clog after only a month of no
    >> use, it is not unheard of.
    >>

    > Thanks for the suggestions. To be honest, I didn't even think about
    > pulling out the entire housing that holds the cartridges. I realized
    > that I could do this only after posting my message, and when I took a
    > look there, sure enough that nozzle was a mess. After cleaning it with
    > some alcohol the printer works great. It's weird how it got so bad so
    > quickly, though. Thanks again for the suggestions.

    Glad to here it worked out for you.
    Some ink build-up on the bottom of the printhead is normal and should not be
    of concern.
    IF you do find yourself in position to wipe the bottom again try to avoid
    alcohol.

Printers Canon Peripherals