Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Canon s600 suddenly won't print at all

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 2:23:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I have had my Canon s600 color printer for about three years now, and
it has worked absolutely great during that time--but today all of a
sudden it will not print at all. It seems to work fine mechanically,
but will not even put a smudge on the paper. I haven't printed
anything for awhile, probably a month, but it worked beautifully then,
and I've gone longer than that in the past without any problems.
I have tried the head-cleaning functions under the maintenance menu,
and tried some alcohol on the "mouth" of the cartridge, but none of
that has helped.
I'm using only the black ink since lately I only print text, and the
cartridge is fairly new and full (the color cartridges are empty and I
operate the printer on the "grayscale" setting).
Is there something else I can do before taking it someplace or
replacing it? I'm kind of in shock--this thing seemed so
indestructible!

Thanks for any help,
Peter L.
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 11:35:05 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"plabord" <plabord@lycos.com> wrote in message
news:e9ad97d1.0411051123.27293112@posting.google.com...
>I have had my Canon s600 color printer for about three years now, and
> it has worked absolutely great during that time--but today all of a
> sudden it will not print at all. It seems to work fine mechanically,
> but will not even put a smudge on the paper. I haven't printed
> anything for awhile, probably a month, but it worked beautifully then,
> and I've gone longer than that in the past without any problems.
> I have tried the head-cleaning functions under the maintenance menu,
> and tried some alcohol on the "mouth" of the cartridge, but none of
> that has helped.
> I'm using only the black ink since lately I only print text, and the
> cartridge is fairly new and full (the color cartridges are empty and I
> operate the printer on the "grayscale" setting).
> Is there something else I can do before taking it someplace or
> replacing it? I'm kind of in shock--this thing seemed so
> indestructible!
>

If you have already tried 3-4 deep cleanings in the printer, then at this
point (though I usually do not recommend it) you may want to try soaking the
nozzle area of the printhead in a shallow dish of VERY warm distilled water.
While it is not common for the printhead to clog after only a month of no
use, it is not unheard of.

If it does come down to replacing it Canon will offer a discount on a new
unit and ship the replacement to your door Next day at no extra charge.
November 6, 2004 12:53:54 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

plabord wrote:

>I have had my Canon s600 color printer for about three years now, and
>it has worked absolutely great during that time--but today all of a
>sudden it will not print at all. It seems to work fine mechanically,
>but will not even put a smudge on the paper. I haven't printed
>anything for awhile, probably a month, but it worked beautifully then,
>and I've gone longer than that in the past without any problems.
>I have tried the head-cleaning functions under the maintenance menu,
>and tried some alcohol on the "mouth" of the cartridge, but none of
>that has helped.
>I'm using only the black ink since lately I only print text, and the
>cartridge is fairly new and full (the color cartridges are empty and I
>operate the printer on the "grayscale" setting).
>Is there something else I can do before taking it someplace or
>replacing it? I'm kind of in shock--this thing seemed so
>indestructible!
>
>Thanks for any help,
>Peter L.
>
>
Did you upgrade to WIN XP SP2 ? I have a MPC 600F and this one has a
known difficulty with SP2.

Frank
Related resources
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 12:20:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message news:<6VVid.74034$UA.5467@lakeread08>...
>
> If you have already tried 3-4 deep cleanings in the printer, then at this
> point (though I usually do not recommend it) you may want to try soaking the
> nozzle area of the printhead in a shallow dish of VERY warm distilled water.
> While it is not common for the printhead to clog after only a month of no
> use, it is not unheard of.
>


Thanks for the suggestions. To be honest, I didn't even think about
pulling out the entire housing that holds the cartridges. I realized
that I could do this only after posting my message, and when I took a
look there, sure enough that nozzle was a mess. After cleaning it with
some alcohol the printer works great. It's weird how it got so bad so
quickly, though. Thanks again for the suggestions.

PL
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 11:49:23 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"plabord" <plabord@lycos.com> wrote in message
news:e9ad97d1.0411060920.1220dfb7@posting.google.com...
> "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
> news:<6VVid.74034$UA.5467@lakeread08>...
>>
>> If you have already tried 3-4 deep cleanings in the printer, then at this
>> point (though I usually do not recommend it) you may want to try soaking
>> the
>> nozzle area of the printhead in a shallow dish of VERY warm distilled
>> water.
>> While it is not common for the printhead to clog after only a month of no
>> use, it is not unheard of.
>>
>
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. To be honest, I didn't even think about
> pulling out the entire housing that holds the cartridges. I realized
> that I could do this only after posting my message, and when I took a
> look there, sure enough that nozzle was a mess. After cleaning it with
> some alcohol the printer works great. It's weird how it got so bad so
> quickly, though. Thanks again for the suggestions.
>

Glad to here it worked out for you.
Some ink build-up on the bottom of the printhead is normal and should not be
of concern.
IF you do find yourself in position to wipe the bottom again try to avoid
alcohol.
!