AMD X2 Not Recognized by XP (SP2) Help!!!

stfalco

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I recently got the X2 CPU. I installed the latest X2 driver from this site, but windows is still not recognizing the X2. It just reports as a single core, plz help.

I used CPU-Z and it reports it as Manchestor , but still showing single core. I have screen caps but don't know how to post here.

Plz help!!

sturm

Splendid
someone correct me if i am wrong, but dont you have to reinstall xp if you switch to a dual core?
Somewhere I heard/read this.

Did you do a fresh install or just install the driver?

LazyGarfield

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
well just a bios update wont be enough...

Maybe a repair will help you to avoid the reinstall.

- boot from windows cd
- go all the way to installation as if win wouldnt be on your drive
- win will ask you then if you would like to repair, which you should

the downside of this:
all updates are gone, so you have at least to install all security updates again.
windows must be reoptimized for some options

the upside:
- your config stays almost the same
- no programs have to be reinstalled
- faster "installation" because it just repairs

TBH I´d go for a new setup... a new clean winsetup is never wrong anyways.

I've sold a pre-built Intel dualie with XP Home... seemed to work fine. Now whether or not it takes full advantage of the dual-core, I really can't tell you. But it does see both cores. (Unless I'm dreaming and the CPU had HT in addition to being a dual-core).

LazyGarfield

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
as long as only one cpu is installed (no matter how many cores), xp-home can handle it. The new intel cpu would show 4 cpu´s (due to hyperthreading) and works with home as well

jaimegmr

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2001
No need to reinstall Windows or flash your BIOS :!:

1. Right-click on "My Computer" and click Properties.

2. Click "Hardware" tab and click "Device manager".

3. Expand the "Computer" branch and you will see "ACPI Uniprocessor PC"

4. Right click on "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" and select "Update Driver"

5. Hardware update wizard will pop up and select the "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)" option and click Next.

6. Select "Don't search. I wil choose driver to install." and click "Next".

7. Check the box that says "Show compatible hardware" if its not checked.

8. Select "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" from the list click "Next" and then click "Finish".

9. Reboot your PC and enjoy dual processor support. :D

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
hmm - I seem to have the same problem.

I just changed my processor from FX-55 (single core) to Opteron 170
(dual core). All other components remain the same.

When I check Device Manager, under Processors, there are 2 listed.

Under Computer, I have ACPI PC.

When following your recommendation and trying to update the driver, I do not have the option ACPI Multiprocessor PC available. The only options available are the one currently installed, and Standard PC.

As the other poster, CPU-Z does not show 2 cores, and neither does Task Manager.

Are there any other solutions to this problem, or will I need to reinstall WinXP ?

Thx in advance

System:

Coolermaster Stacker
Tagan TG580-U15 580W 'Easycon
ASUS A8N32-SLi Deluxe BIOS 1103
Opeteron 170 (no OC yet)
Zalman CNPS9500 heatsink
2x1GB Corsair TwinX 3500LL Pro
XFX 7800 GTX Extreme XXX (490MHz/1.3GHz)
X-Fi ExtremeMusic
4xWD740 'Raptor'
Plextor PX-716A DVD-RW
Logitech Z-5450 5:1 speakers
WinXP Pro SP2

XP is running the wrong HAL (hardware abstraction layer). Reinstalling will definately fix it. I could have sworn I saw a post on changing the HAL without reinstalling, but can't seem to find it. The forum search is turning up nothing for me. You can try googling for it.

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
XP is running the wrong HAL (hardware abstraction layer). Reinstalling will definately fix it. I could have sworn I saw a post on changing the HAL without reinstalling, but can't seem to find it. The forum search is turning up nothing for me. You can try googling for it.

Thx for that - I'll give google a search now I know what I'm searching for.

Reinstall isn't that much bother tbh - done it so many times now, it's almost second nature. Just wanted to finish off this folding wu beforehand though.

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
I found this article that explains how to set up a winxp multi-boot allowing selection of HAL. Worked like a charm (I needed ACPI+APIC option).

Thankyou so much for your help.

cheetsy

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
mine detected the x2 3800 without having to re install windows, i just did to make me feel better, but before i did i was able to use windows fine, sounds like you need a bios update