Sign in with
Your question

New Build/ First Time Installing/ Setup/ Suggestions

Last response: in Systems
January 11, 2006 4:27:35 PM

Hey guys, well just installed the CPU & stock HSF (i'm assuming there's paste that is either on the bottom of the HSF pads or top of CPU?didn't want to touch with fingers-is there any?), but now i've encountered a problem. The Forton FSP 450W is a 20-pin, and the eVGA-133 mobo is 24-pin?!?! What do i do?! Please help! -later
January 11, 2006 5:05:30 PM

Nevermind, i fixed it, gotta leave 4 slots, then plugin the 4-pin ATX12V connector to the 4-pin slot on mobo...lol. Well, now i'm stuck because the SATA HDD didnt come with a manual:

1.) I'm having trouble with powering everything. So, for the SATA HD, can i use one end of the Y-adapter from PSU, and use the other end to power the front fan? (there's a Y-adapter on the fan as well?) SO MANY Y-adapters, do i have to plug em' all in?

2.) how would you recommend powering everything with my setup from the y-adapters everywhere (from PSU,and others)

3.) does the CPU have stock paste on it? (i didn't want to touch with fingers to check, i just assumed and followed installation instructions.

4.) i have 3 HDD's: 60GB ATA, 250GB SATA, and a 74GB SATA on the way. The 250 and 74 are new, but the 60GB has the OS, mp3s and all my files on this (old) computer. How would i make it so that i can transfer the mp3's from the 60GB to the 250GB? i want the 60GB to have the OS, 250GB for files, 74GB for games... Can i hook up the ATA and leave all the stuff on it and will my new computer detect everything? How would i go about transfering?

thanks in advance, lemme know ASAP if you can please. -take care
Related resources
January 11, 2006 11:34:57 PM

oh, it's got a 20+24-Pin, so i just gotta plugin the 20-pin, along with the 4-pin...suggestions on anything else? (thanks for reply).
January 12, 2006 12:28:04 AM

ok, so the PSU comes with:
- 1x 20+4-Pin connector
- 3x Y-cable (1 red, 1orange,4black,2yellow)
- 1x 6-Pin (3yellow,3black)
- 1x 4-pin (2yellow/black, 2black)
- 1x SATA power [doesn't fit my SATA HD, diff style](1yellow, 2black, 1red, 1orange)

from the Mobo package:
- 1x molex Y-cable
(do i just plug this into an open y slot from PSU then use the 2x4-pin from this to power 2 things?)

1.) Will these power my components? Can i use 1 Y-connector to power 2 different things?

2.) my fan has 2 4-pin's on it, that mean one plugs into an open 4-pin and i can use the other to pluginto my SATA HD to power it?

3.) Do you need floppy for SATA (non-RAID, non-OS [OS will be on 60GB ATA133])?

4.) How would i install both 60GB and 120GB and let my 250GB be for files/mp3's, while my 60GB be for my OS? (60GB already has OS and everything, can i just delete everything but the OS and mp3's and go from there?)
January 12, 2006 1:54:41 AM

3 of the Y-shaped (so 6?) plus i can plugin another Y-molex connector that came with the mobo...

I did set everything up:
A.) Rear fan (female) plugs into mobo (male) with a male left open (back of female)

B.) PSU Y-molex one female plugs into front fan (male) with a female slot left over [male and female on the fan]; the other female (from PSU) plugs into back of HD and the HD also plugs into the mobo via SATA cable into the SATA1 slot on mobo

C.) PSU Y-molex plugs both slots into the 7800GT (7800GT has two male connectors for additional power, i'm assuming i need both plugged in, or just one?)
January 12, 2006 2:14:38 AM

so my setup is fine? i just have to make sure there's 1 for every connector rather than using the same 2 molex's? or does that just apply to the videocard?

here's what needs to be powered:

-WD250GB- 4-pin/SATA/?
rear side= http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/3426/pcdv00121nm.jpg there's a slot in between SATA and molex, that need to be plugged in?

-Videocard= 2 molex to 6-pin [6-pin goes into videocard]
http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/1039/pcdv00052vr.jpg

-Front fan= 2 molex (male left and female right)
http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/668/pcdv00047np.jpg

-Rear fan= 1 molex but two sides (one side is male,other is female)
male side 1= http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/5798/pcdv00061io.jpg
female side2= http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/6272/pcdv00078uy.jpg

will i be able to boot this thing and power it all up/ how would i do it?

P.S.

PSU:
- 1 of these: http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/4917/pcdv00087ul.jpg
- 1 of these:
http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/3751/pcdv00099qx.gif
-2 of these: http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/8645/pcdv00100gq.gif
-1 of these: (they are both the same size/type):
http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/1076/pcdv00111il.gif
January 12, 2006 3:47:57 AM

Quote:

3.) does the CPU have stock paste on it? (i didn't want to touch with fingers to check, i just assumed and followed installation instructions.

The retail boxes for the processors will come with everything -but- the thermal paste. I'd get some Arctic Silver 5 or that new copper stuff...

about $9-11/tube
January 12, 2006 4:01:55 AM

damn, so does that mean i gotta take off the CPU and apply it or will it work just fine?

also, the front fan has a male and female molex, does that mean i have to plugin both? (i'm running out of males...)

where do i plugin rear fan? there's a female slot on the mobo, but i dont know if thats where i put it, do i plugin to mobo slot or PSU? (btw, there's 2 sides, do i need to plugin both male and female slots?)
January 12, 2006 4:07:31 AM

Quote:
damn, so does that mean i gotta take off the CPU and apply it or will it work just fine?

did you install the heatsink w/ fan over the processor w/o any grease/paste??!
January 12, 2006 4:19:17 AM

i heard that it already contains stock sticky stuff... i didn't apply nothing, just did what the manual said (line up pins, lock down, HSF in place,lock that down on top... it comes with the pad:
http://forums.amd.com/lofiversion/index.php/t63841.html

i'm not OC'in or anything, so this is alright right?

from previous post:

also, the front fan has a male and female molex, does that mean i have to plugin both? (i'm running out of males...)

where do i plugin rear fan? there's a female slot on the mobo, but i dont know if thats where i put it, do i plugin to mobo slot or PSU? (btw, there's 2 sides, do i need to plugin both male and female slots?)

on the back of the SATA drive, there's SATA, 6-pin, and molex, do all need to be used?
January 12, 2006 4:48:56 AM

ok, so it came with some thermal pad... I don't know how well it transfers heat and mine didn't come with anything on it. From what I heard, AS5 does an awesome job once it set. If your not gonna' run the processor hard, you're probobly fine...
January 12, 2006 5:12:05 AM

Quote:
I see, one of those tiny sections of molex wiring from a fan.

You could either plug the male from PSU into the female end of the fan, then the remaining male from the fan can keep going plugging into another device or fan.

or

Chop the the male-female section from the fan off and bare wire it. Tidier that way.

Hmm... don't got any males from PSU, only female molex's, dunno how i'm going to do this setup... i still got another HD (ATA133) and an SATA drive to power here once i get it...thanks for the help! hopefully there's some way to wire it all up...

Quote:
ok, so it came with some thermal pad... I don't know how well it transfers heat and mine didn't come with anything on it. From what I heard, AS5 does an awesome job once it set. If your not gonna' run the processor hard, you're probobly fine...

Mine came with this pad thingy on the bottom of the HSF, hopefully everything will run great... 1st gotta figure out the powering issues...thanks for input!
January 12, 2006 5:26:24 PM

anyone know how to power all this up with my setup and where to plugin all these molex's. there's 1 molex on the mobo (don't know what its for, not listed in manual), then theres the one's coming from the PSU, which,how,where, anyone know how to set this thing up?

Also, the HDD setup, i want to use the 250GB as my files/mp3's, 60GB as OS drive, and i will be getting the 74GB soon (for games). Currently the 250GB is new, no data or anything; the 60GB is what i'm using on this computer (old comp), its got OS, mp3's, games,files,etc. Is there a way i can install these two drives into new computer, with all the data on the 60GB, and transfer the music from the 60GB to the 250GB? how would i do this?

Please help, hope to hear from you soon -peace
January 13, 2006 12:09:14 AM

1.) ok, so it says in manual to plugin a 4-pin molex connector to the back of the SATA, but i got a SATA cable that plugs into mobo????

2.) will i need floppy for SATA backup (non-OS)?

3.) installing fans says only one 4-pin molex needs to be plugged into PSU molex, that true? Why two molex's on fans? (there's a 4-pin molex on mobo near the rear fan, whats that for?)

4.) Is only the 7800GT the only thing that requires BOTH molex's to be plugged in? (i have a couple pieces of hardware that have 2 molex connectors for 1 piece...)

5.) Can i plug this ATA133 HD to my mobo without reformatting and have everything work just fine? (i wan't to use this as my OS HD, and transfer the mp3's from it to the 250GB SATA)

lemme know ASAP please, thanks in advance.
January 13, 2006 12:44:16 AM

it's cool. got another question:

- can i unplug the HD from this comp (ATA133) with all the data/OS/etc and plugin to new mobo with everything still on it? if there's any problems, can i always put it back in the old comp without any detecting problems?
January 13, 2006 1:44:09 AM

if you can wait until tommorow i may be able to post some pics of my rig. that will give you a pretty good idea about what to do.

but before i can do that i need a complete list of all your drives and a link to a picture of your motherboard and the back of all you hard drives

in the mean time try looking here

http://overclockers.com/topiclist/index04.asp#BEGINNER%20GUIDES
January 13, 2006 2:56:34 AM

Quote:
if you can wait until tommorow i may be able to post some pics of my rig. that will give you a pretty good idea about what to do.

but before i can do that i need a complete list of all your drives and a link to a picture of your motherboard and the back of all you hard drives

in the mean time try looking here

http://overclockers.com/topiclist/index04.asp#BEGINNER%20GUIDES

ok, lol, i tried doin' it, when i plugged in the PSU the blue LED from front fan flickers along with a *flick* sound and the fan barely rotates, then eventually a red light (top right corner of mobo) comes on the mobo and stays on when the PSU is plugged in (i'm assuming the red light means the mobo is powered on...). But when i press the Power button on the front of the case nothin' happens...

Mobo:
eVGA 133-K8-NF41 mobo=http://evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=133-K8-NF41-AX

Hard Drives:
WD Caviar 250GB= http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=59
WD Raptor 74GB=http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=65&Language=en
IBM Deskstar 61.4GB 7200RPM HD= got an IDE slot and an 4-pin molex...no pics cuz its so old, unless google, but i cant find any.

im on my bro's computer cuz the IDE IBM HD is in the new comp...
January 13, 2006 3:20:46 AM

the molex connector on the motherboard (female) is for supllemental power and needs a male molex connector from the power suplply (doesnt matter which as long as it reaches). also you may want to see if you can find an adapter that converts your 20 pin connector into a 24 pin.

your 250 gig hard disc also needs a male molex connector (again doesnt really matter from were on the powersuply it comes from)

your 74 gig also needs a male molex (treat it just like the other one)

your 60 gig also needs a male molex (again treat like the last one)

btw how many male molex plugs does your power supply have coming off it?

and also do you have any other drives? (cd, dvd, disk etc.)
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2006 8:46:01 AM

The molex above the slots is for powering up two 6600GT cards such as used in SLI mode. Bigger cards have PCI-Express power inputs. The problem is that cards like the 6600GT are near the limit of the PCI-Express bus BECAUSE they have no PCIe supplemental power adapter, so using two of them could destablize things.

Hence the motherboard PCIe supplemental power is only needed for running high-performance cards that have no supplemental power of their own...in two slots.
January 13, 2006 11:07:45 PM

ok, i thought a male was a molex taht had the pins sticking out, and the female was the hole for the pins?! One of us is mixing this up.

thanks for replies. keep em' comin' please. lemme know ASAP
January 14, 2006 2:40:32 AM

Quote:
i tried doin' it, when i plugged in the PSU the blue LED from front fan flickers along with a *flick* sound and the fan barely rotates, then eventually a red light (top right corner of mobo) comes on the mobo and stays on when the PSU is plugged in (i'm assuming the red light means the mobo is powered on...). But when i press the Power button on the front of the case nothin' happens...

Anyone?

It's when i plugin the PSU cable from wall into the back of PSU, the blue LED flickers while both fans rotate a little for a split second. The only thing that stays on is the red light off the top right of the mobo. What's going on? Is it the PSU?

i have 20+4-pin connector with the top 4 slots on 24-slot open and the 4-pin +12V is connected to mobo...what the heck...What can i do?

i have hooked up:
Rear 120mm fan
Front 120mm fan
WD Caviar 80GB HD
20+4-pin
Case connectors (i'm assuming they're in the right spots)
7800GT
Corsair VS 2x512MB

[fyi: don't need cd/dvd drives, got an external usb burner/cd/dvd player]
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2006 3:22:55 AM

Unhook the case connectors and hard drive, then try using the power button next to the digital diagnostics display on the motherboard.
January 14, 2006 4:08:58 AM

figured it out. Turns out:
- with the 20-pin, the 4-pin attatches to the 20-pin to make a 24 pin and that plugs into the 24-pin slot (no need for 12V 4-pin)...lol

-also, had to switch the PSU to -, rather than the 0 to turn it on. Now it works!

Only one problem, i can't see anything. My old CPU has an VGA to AGP(?) slot which you connect the VGA connector to. The new mobo doesn't have VGA nor AGP, what do i do?
- i tried pluggin the monitor into the DVI slot on videocard, but the videocard hasn't been detected, nor has the HD been formatted. WHAT DO I DO?

Any suggestions? The mobo only has COM1 and COM2, no VGA, how the heck will i get the monitor to work?

What i need:
- VGA to PCI? or somewhat of the sort...whatcha think?
- CD-ROM so i can install XP (what you recommend? Need to be able to get from BestBuy,CompUSA, or Fry's)
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2006 5:27:47 AM

It will power up without the 4-pin (2 yellow, 2 black) ATX12v lead, but it won't turn the CPU on. Yes, you need that one on as well.
To make the system boot you need a CPU, at least one stick of RAM, and a graphics card. You have the 7800GT, use it. It came with a DVI to VGA adapter, use that too. It has a 6-pin power connector, that has to be connected to the power supply.
January 14, 2006 3:55:22 PM

Alrite, thanks.

So i gotta unhook that 4-pin i connected to the 20-pin, and get a 20-24pin adapter then use the 4-pin to plug into the ATX12V to power up the CPU?

(i was wonderin why nothin came on...hopefully that's it)
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2006 6:42:40 PM

NO! You make your connector 24-pin, then there's ANOTHER 4-pin connector you plug to the motherboard!

Your board uses ONE 24-PIN PLUS ONE 4-PIN CONNECTOR!

OMG, you're looking to fry something!

BECAUSE you don't seem to have any idea what to do, and BECAUSE you have a convertable ATX 20/24 pin connnector, I'll have to give you color codes, grrr...

OK, the 24-pin connector in your situation should have a 20-pin and a 4-pin that snaps onto it. The 4-pin that snaps on should have the following wires:
1-RED
1-ORANGE
1-YELLOW
1-BLACK

THIS MUST STAY CONNECTED TO THE 20-PIN FOR A 24-PIN CONNECTION!!!

You also should have ANOTHER 4-PIN SQUARE CONNECTOR, with 2-yellow and 2-black wires. This connects to the 4-pin connector above the CPU!
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2006 6:45:52 PM

OK, so now that you have ONE 24-pin CONNECTOR (WE DON'T CARE THAT IT'S 20+4 PINS), and ONE 4-PIN CONNECTOR SEPARATELY, you also need to locate the SIX-PIN connector that fits onto the back of the card.
January 14, 2006 7:43:38 PM

lol, well i bought one (20-24), nothin worked, then i figured it out that it has that black/yellow 4-pin, so i just wasted $8 at Fry's...now its onto BIOS setup, hope i can get this figured out, THANKS for all the help! i'll let you know how it goes
January 14, 2006 9:47:42 PM

ok, i did everything, but it Windows won't load...

I formatted the HD, installed XP to the HD and got all the way up to the end and it said it was restarting. But when it restarted, nothing it went back to a BIOS screen(mentioned later... Now when i try and load up the comp, i can't get to windows startup. wtf?! Is it BIOS error? What do i change? Please help

(i've been tryin to set
Primary
Secondary
and Third Device and switching between HD and the CD-ROM, but still, should i set to "Default" settings? what BIOS setting should i chage?...)

[ i tried setting CD-ROM as primary, so it loads up CD-ROM when i have XP CD, but it asks if i want to override the XP files that i already installed...wtf...]

the farthest it gets is a BIOS screen that displays the date, IDE stuff, memory, floppy disk:fail, and other information. it says press F1 to continue or DEL to go to menu. I looked on the mobo and the Port Code displays 7F which according to the mobo manual is "Special KBC patch". "Set system speed for boot, Setup NumLock status according to Setup." OK, wtf, now what?

BTW, it's Windows XP Home SP1 that I'm installing...that be the problem?
Lemme know ASAP please. thanks for all help so far...hopefully there's a solution so i don't keep buggin all of you
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2006 10:22:01 PM

Which hard drive do you have connected?
January 14, 2006 10:23:51 PM

WD Caviar 80GB (ATAPI EIDE). its in IDE Slot 1, while Slot 2 has the IDE CD-ROM i just got. both are using the HDD cable that came with the mobo.
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2006 10:31:28 PM

8O

First of all, you need to understand Western Digital hard drives and jumper settings.

Do you have another drive on the same cable?

WD drives have TWO settings for Master: The "Master" setting only works right when there's a slave drive on the same cable. The "Single" setting allows the drive to be used by itself. "Single" doesn't need the jumper attached.

The WD drive should be PRIMARY MASTER, which would be "un-jumpered" as SINGLE if you're not using another drive at this time on the same cable.

In BIOS, under the advanced menu, you'll have a setting "Hard Disk Boot Priority" which, if you have more than one hard drive, allows you to pick which one to boot from

Also, you'll want to have your drives set to boot CD-ROM, then Hard Disk.

Finally, since you only have one hard drive and one CD-ROM connected right now, you should connect the hard drive to the blue IDE connector and the CD-ROM drive to the white IDE connector. Jumper the CD-ROM as "Master", this will be your "Secondary Master", and un-jumper the hard drive so it's in "single" mode where the board detects it as "primary master".
January 14, 2006 11:08:15 PM

Quote:
8O

First of all, you need to understand Western Digital hard drives and jumper settings.

Do you have another drive on the same cable?

WD drives have TWO settings for Master: The "Master" setting only works right when there's a slave drive on the same cable. The "Single" setting allows the drive to be used by itself. "Single" doesn't need the jumper attached.

The WD drive should be PRIMARY MASTER, which would be "un-jumpered" as SINGLE if you're not using another drive at this time on the same cable.

In BIOS, under the advanced menu, you'll have a setting "Hard Disk Boot Priority" which, if you have more than one hard drive, allows you to pick which one to boot from

Also, you'll want to have your drives set to boot CD-ROM, then Hard Disk.

Finally, since you only have one hard drive and one CD-ROM connected right now, you should connect the hard drive to the blue IDE connector and the CD-ROM drive to the white IDE connector. Jumper the CD-ROM as "Master", this will be your "Secondary Master", and un-jumper the hard drive so it's in "single" mode where the board detects it as "primary master".

Ok.

the WD i took of the pin thing so now it's at single. On the HDD cable; Master side is connected to back of drive, slave isn't connected, and the other end is connected to the blue IDE.

the DVD-ROM is the same as what it was, set as Master jumper. On the HDD cable; Master side hooked to back, none for slave, and the end is plugged to white.

In Standard BIOS CMOS:

IDE Channel 0 Master WDC
IDE Channel 0 Slave None
IDE Channel 1 Master MATSHIDVD
IDE Channel 1 Slave None

still goes back to the screen... bottom still says F1 to continue and Del to Setup... if i go to F1, just displays IDE channels and other stuff...wtf...
January 14, 2006 11:18:27 PM

There anything i need to install before i get to MS Word and stuff?

Installed mobo drivers
Installed videocard drivers (installed first on accident, oh well)

How about prior to RAID setup, what do i need to do?
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2006 12:08:11 AM

You're talking about installing programs, does that mean you actually have it loading Windows now?
January 15, 2006 1:02:52 AM

Yup! Everything's running, now just installing updates for eVGA mobo and Graphics cards.

Is that all i need for SATA? (previous post i said RAID, but meant SATA). What do i need to do for SATA?

Thanks for all the help!

(Why do i have to press F1 every time i start up computer in order to run it?)
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2006 1:55:45 AM

Yes, at boot Windows sees the non-RAID SATA drive as IDE. After you load Windows and instal the SATA drivers, Windows will use the new driver to enhance performance and add features.
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2006 1:57:48 AM

Just plug in your new SATA drives and go to disk management in windows to mount them and creat a partition.
January 15, 2006 7:15:45 AM

k, everything's workin' great. graphics are awesome on Quake4, just wanna get the 74GB so i can install all these games onto it, rather than on the 250GB...

Question; How can i transfer files from my old IDE 60GB [IBM] Hard Drive to my new SATA 250GB [WD] Hard Drive?
-both HD's have XP installed
-want to transfer some mp3's and small files possibly (word)

1.) How would i set it up/jumpers/what connectors/etc?
2.) What do i use to transfer (there like a wizard or just open from My Computer or somethin'?)

Lemme know ASAP if you can, thanks again for all the help. -take care
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2006 9:01:59 AM

Just hook it up. You might want to put it on secondary IDE, in fact that would be the easiest because you would only need to change the jumper on that one drive. Yes, you can make the 60GB drive a slave to your CD-ROM.
January 15, 2006 3:45:34 PM

slave to CD-ROM or to the 80GB IDE HD?
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2006 5:01:15 PM

If you slave it to the IDE HD you'll have to change the jumper on the 80GB drive to "master" again, then jumper the second drive as slave. If you'd rather not bother with that, you can slave the 60GB drive to the CD-ROM and they you'd only have to change the jumper on the 60GB drive.

It really doesn't matter either way.
January 15, 2006 9:46:35 PM

that's what i did, set slave to 60GB, thanks a lot for everything. So when i get the new 74GB SATA Raptor, just set that to Master and plugin to SATA1 slot? (250GB SATA is SATA2 slot). Thanks for everything, couldn't of done it without all the help!

oh, by the way, i bought an Internal CD-ROM drive (one mentioned earlier), did i need that to install Windows/Drivers,etc or could i have done that with the external Plextor PX-716UF USB CD and DVD burner?
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2006 2:15:47 AM

You could have done that with any drive that reads CD's.

Anyway, you don't have to set a Serial ATA drive to master, in fact you can't. Serial ATA is always single.
January 16, 2006 5:16:10 PM

Quote:
You could have done that with any drive that reads CD's.

LOL. so i went and bought an IDE Drive for nothin, when i could've used the External anyway? (i thought BIOS wouldn't detect the USB drive, therefore i thought i HAD to buy an internal)

Quote:
Anyway, you don't have to set a Serial ATA drive to master, in fact you can't. Serial ATA is always single.

Ah, gotcha, thanks for the help.
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2006 6:37:42 PM

I hadn't really looked into the USB boot capacities of this board, many can, some can't. I was thinking of other internal IDE drives, including DVD-ROM, CD-RW, etc.
January 17, 2006 1:13:52 AM

Quote:
I hadn't really looked into the USB boot capacities of this board, many can, some can't. I was thinking of other internal IDE drives, including DVD-ROM, CD-RW, etc.
hmm, dunno whether or not to return it...

What's the best way to backup all the data on my HD? I've had to reformat once (got Virus) and i hate going through the hassle. What's best program/steps/ to backing up all my stuff?

Also, will there be any issues with software/programs, or does it backup everything to where it's just like it was before reformatting?

Thanks for the help, lemme know ASAP if you can please. -take care
!