Pci Express x16 problem, please help!

K0rd1c

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I just built my 3rd computer, Abit Fatal1y mobo, and a 7800 gtx pci card.
When I go to my display properties, it gives me info about my cards settings. One of the bits of info is that it says "Pci Express; 8x"
Shouldn't that say "x16"???? I have the card in slot 1, and nothing is disabled anywhere, just wondering if any of you guys know the problem, if there is one I guess, thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, you need to change the mode on that little paddle card between the PCIe x16 slots. SLI mode splits the pathways between the two slots (x8 each slot), while single card mode puts it all to one slot.

Greenvision

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I'm having the same problem. I tried the SLI Switch card thing with the "non-SLI" side pointing towards my 7800gtx (top slot) .. but when it is in that position, my computer doesnt boot, doesnt even show bios page etc.. Currently i dont even have the Switchard in the slot..

Any help would be great,
Chris.

hijodeltiger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
i too have the same mobo, but my problem is worse. in the displays properties, it tells me i have pci express x1. i'm super pissed because i was expecting at least 8000 3dmarks 05 but im getting 4000 tops.
please help me. i have the graphics card in the bottom slot. i have the sli switch in normal.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's very odd!

OK, with some boards putting the "paddle" in single-card mode will make one of the slots x16 and the other x1. So it should work at x16 in the other slot. Try again?