HELP!! X700 or what

ast3000

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
i am just upgrading my computer but have been trying to decide what graphics card to get. I have jsut upgraded my m/bord to agp and am running a celeron 2.6ghz (soon to be upgraded).
I really want to get the best value for money. my budget is £80 ($150) I would ideally like a 6600 but over here in england they sell beyond my budget. I was wondering if any one can find the best card for my money they have to be avalible in england as the shipping costs woul;d be far too much.
I have seen the x700 256mb AGP and the 9800 pro (is this too old now?)would these be any good for games expecially flight sim?

Thanks

cleeve

Illustrious
If flight sims are your thing, you want a Geforce. They usually use openGL, and the Nvidia drivers are consistantly better in flight sims: Lock On, Sturmovik, etc.

Otherwise I'd say go for the X700 which is a good budget card. But in this case, it's worth it to hunt down a 6600.

If you can't afford a new one, get a used one on ebay or something...

ColdBreeze

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I currently own an AGP ATI Radeon x700 Pro and my friend has a PCI-E nVidia 6600GT. The 2 cards, from what I can see, perform about the same. His 6600GT outperforms my x700 Pro only because he has his card in a Dual AMD Opteron 2.4GHz setup and mine is in a Intel Pentium 4 2.6GHz. If you're deciding on x700 vs. 6600/GT, simply get whichever is cheaper, performance will be roughly the same.

If flight sims are your thing, you want a Geforce. They usually use openGL, and the Nvidia drivers are consistantly better in flight sims: Lock On, Sturmovik, etc.

While I agree that was the case, one of the ATi driver updates was geared at IL2 specifically and has improved performance a good deal, but likely still favour nV.

The funny thing is when it comes to M$ Flight Simulator 2004 the roles are reversed where the X700P gets better perforamance (M$ of course DX). nV also had alot of issues with it early on with textures, whcih have been fixed with driver updates.

In the end it does depend alot on what you play, but both should be very close.

Simply put, I'd agree with you IL2 = GF6600GT and M$FS = X700P

cleeve

Illustrious
If you're deciding on x700 vs. 6600/GT, simply get whichever is cheaper, performance will be roughly the same.

No, it won't. Not in flight simulators. Don't contradict advice on a subject about which you have no knowledge.

Having said that, Grape is right, MS flight simulator will probably favor the X700.

However, if you're a combat sim player, you'd probably be remiss to get the X700 over the 6600.

But specifically which sim do you play? If you have one in mind you can search for benches and get a good idea what to expect...

ColdBreeze

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Hey, Cleeve, don't get mad 'cuz my 6800GS is half the price of your 6800 Ultra and it gets 800+ 3D05 Marks more , go cry about it. As to the "Don't talk because you're ignorant" post. Did he say "Man, I don't care about all these games, I just LOVE THOSE FLIGHT SIMULATORS MAN!" No, you moron, he said nothing about that. He asked a question about card performance, not "OH MAN, FLIGHT SIMULATOR! ORGASM!". So please, shut the hell up.

pauldh

Illustrious
Hey, Cleeve, don't get mad 'cuz my 6800GS is half the price of your 6800 Ultra and it gets 800+ 3D05 Marks more , go cry about it.
What's that have to do with anything? To be honest, I didn't even notice your 3dmark score. Of course, without an orb link, it means little around here, especially coming from a stranger. I don't doubt Cleeves score as he has been around a while and has nothing to prove. But here on your sixth post, you are trying to stir some noise by whipping out a claimed bungilo; then you will have to prove it before it means anything. Anyway, post an orb link; that's a great score for a single GF6.

Yeah, in general I'd take a 6600GT over a X700 pro over a 9800 pro over a X700 over a 6600. But if there are specific games of interest, it can change the recommendation. For instance, I would not recommend a Radeon over a Geforce for MOHAA because since Cat 5.6 MOHAA and it's expansions have been broken in the drivers. There is a work around, but still, if that's your game a comparable GF would be better than a Radeon. Somewhat of a bad example since It's not like either can't provide the framerates in MOHAA anyway. But I just recently recommended a huge MOHAA fan go GF6600GT over X800 because I'm hundreds of miles away, so I'm no help to him, I know that he doesn't want to mess with it to get the ATI to work, nor run older drivers because of one game.

Did he say "Man, I don't care about all these games, I just LOVE THOSE FLIGHT SIMULATORS MAN!" No, you moron, he said nothing about that. He asked a question about card performance, not "OH MAN, FLIGHT SIMULATOR! ORGASM!".

Hey KNOB, he did say: "would these be any good for games expecially flight sim?"

Cleeve answered that question focusing on the game type that was mentioned, and said for everything else conside the other card. That speaks to the question, not like your st00pid story about you and your bum-buddy, on completely unrelated systems. :roll:

Try reading the post before replying, it really makes all this easier for everyone, until then perhaps YOU should STFU!
shaddup1dn.gif

And stuff the Bungholiomarks back in your pants, cause no one cares.
monkeyrightpiss3dd.gif

cleeve

Illustrious
Hey, Cleeve, don't get mad 'cuz my 6800GS is half the price of your 6800 Ultra

Lol. And you don't be mad that I've had the same great game performance for the past year, that you were only just able to afford.

The poster asked specifically about flight simulators, you hypertwit.
Take a pill of some sort, specifically something that will lower your blood pressure and hopefully reduce your ability to abuse your keyboard with barely formed sentences of idiocy.

Perhaps a pill that will help you read people's posts, as well.

P.S. I haven't even overclocked my machine yet, you chump.
Your pansy 12-pipe card overclocked up the yinyang barely keeps up with me now. Do you really want to compare epenisses?