a cpu is running at 2 GHz 200 MHz FSB and multiplier of 10, that makes 2GHz,
to oc it to 2.6GHz what should I do:

a) increase FSB to 260 and leave miltiplier at 10
b) leave FSB at 200 and increase multiplier to 16
c) increase both equally FSB to 230 x 11

h3llscream

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Unless your using the AMD FX or the pentium EE line of processors the multiplier is usually locked at least from being increased leaving the only option of using the FSB to overclock. Some of the older line of processor could be overclocked by using the multiplier. As far as advantages I would have to say that increasing the FSB would give more of a performance boost considering it increases overall system speed. A combination of both works too. Its more a matter of experimentation to see what gives you the highest stable performance boost.

scoyle

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2005
It depends on other components, as well.

Let's say your ram cannot go higher than 220 Mhz. It would not make sense to overclock your fsb to more than that, as your memory would become a bottleneck.

Also, when overclocking your fsb, you must watch that buses that synchronize to the fsb remain at a usable frequency. If you overclock your fsb to 250Mhz, and your pcie bus is synchronized to half of your fsb, it would set itself at 125Mhz, which might cause stability issues. The legacy pci and agp buses could have similar problems in this kind of situation.

Voltage also has to be considered when overclocking your CPU. More voltage means more heat, and a higher possibility of damaging your CPU.

Personally, I would overclock my fsb to match maximum frequency of my memory (as long as the CPU is stable with that bus) and adjust the multiplier from there. For external buses, I would lock them at stock speeds, unless you really want to eek every bit of performance out of your hardware.

Good luck.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
increasing Memory volts will help the bottlenecking some, more power less hiccups I have my memory volts at 1.75, vga 1.75, cpu 1.85 {change for benchmarking to 2volts.}. These setting work for me but if someone dont have proper cooling and I mean a overall cooling system don't even try to operate at these setting for any long period of time.

zenge

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
this is my configuration:
P4 1.8 GHz, Mobo is Gygabyte GA-8IE with i845 chipset, and 266 MHz RAM.
to overclock I do this:
there is no option to change voltage in the bios, so I increase FSB to 133 which is board's max and makes cpu ran at 2,4 GHz, there is option to set the memory's 'multiplier' to 2.0, 2.6 or auto depening on the FSB settings, normal is 2.6 when oc is 2.0.
also there is no thermal monitoring available.
this is over 30% overclock on BOX cooler, how dangerous is it.
it run fine during 6 hours of DivX encoding.