Slow printing to local printer via RDP

Hi, I have a printing problem via RDP. The server is win2000 SP4, running Terminal Server (app mode).
There are remote users who want to use an application running in the W2k server via RDP and they want to be able to print to their local printers.
Connection between the 2 sites uses IPSEC VPN (both 1.5Mb/256Kb link). And the printers are connected to the (remote) workstations via LPT. Those printes work well when print directly, but when they want to print via RDP, it is very slow (sometimes the job even disappears). What I did, I shared the (remote) LPT printers and mapped them in the W2k server. The printers are HP1100 and HP1200. Drivers that come with W2k (by default) are being used.
I did a test, print from the W2k server to the remote printer, and it was still unstable. The test involved sending test page job. Any setting I need to follow for this case?

Here's the setting under Advanced tab of the printer:
spool print doc so program print faster (checked) > start printing immediately (checked)
print spooled documents first (checked)
enable advanced printing feature (checked)

Print processor: tried EMF 1.008, RAW; but to no avail

Thanks.
Miki
2 answers Last reply
More about slow printing local printer
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    Miki,

    I had similar problems after upgrading the Server to Win2000 SP4.
    I uninstall SP4 and go back to SP3+ Q328020 Hotfix (read article 328020 from
    KB) and works fine.
    Joan

    "Miki" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > Hi, I have a printing problem via RDP. The server is win2000 SP4, running
    Terminal Server (app mode).
    > There are remote users who want to use an application running in the W2k
    server via RDP and they want to be able to print to their local printers.
    > Connection between the 2 sites uses IPSEC VPN (both 1.5Mb/256Kb link). And
    the printers are connected to the (remote) workstations via LPT. Those
    printes work well when print directly, but when they want to print via RDP,
    it is very slow (sometimes the job even disappears). What I did, I shared
    the (remote) LPT printers and mapped them in the W2k server. The printers
    are HP1100 and HP1200. Drivers that come with W2k (by default) are being
    used.
    > I did a test, print from the W2k server to the remote printer, and it was
    still unstable. The test involved sending test page job. Any setting I need
    to follow for this case?

    > Here's the setting under Advanced tab of the printer:
    > spool print doc so program print faster (checked) > start printing
    immediately (checked)
    > print spooled documents first (checked)
    > enable advanced printing feature (checked)
    >
    > Print processor: tried EMF 1.008, RAW; but to no avail
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Miki
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    I had the same problem after upgrading to W2000 SP4. I uninstall SP4 and go
    back to SP3 + Q328020 Hotfix and works fine

    Joan

    "Miki" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > Hi, I have a printing problem via RDP. The server is win2000 SP4, running
    Terminal Server (app mode).
    > There are remote users who want to use an application running in the W2k
    server via RDP and they want to be able to print to their local printers.
    > Connection between the 2 sites uses IPSEC VPN (both 1.5Mb/256Kb link). And
    the printers are connected to the (remote) workstations via LPT. Those
    printes work well when print directly, but when they want to print via RDP,
    it is very slow (sometimes the job even disappears). What I did, I shared
    the (remote) LPT printers and mapped them in the W2k server. The printers
    are HP1100 and HP1200. Drivers that come with W2k (by default) are being
    used.
    > I did a test, print from the W2k server to the remote printer, and it was
    still unstable. The test involved sending test page job. Any setting I need
    to follow for this case?

    > Here's the setting under Advanced tab of the printer:
    > spool print doc so program print faster (checked) > start printing
    immediately (checked)
    > print spooled documents first (checked)
    > enable advanced printing feature (checked)
    >
    > Print processor: tried EMF 1.008, RAW; but to no avail
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Miki

Printers Servers Windows