JonnyRock

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2004
what dose dynamic disk do?

dose it increase performance when used on a sigle drive or raid drive?

what are the risks to using it, if any?

why would you want to use dynamic disk?

ColdBreeze

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Dynamic Disks allow you to have more partitions (they're referred to as "Volumes" in Dynamic Disks) than a Basic Disk allows, and they allow for Software RAID's of Hard Disks. As for a performance boost, from viewing the fun my friend had with his 11 Drives and random configurations, there is no boost. The risk is that if you choose to revert back to a Basic from a Dynamic, you lose all your data.

nawat

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Dynamic Disks allow you to have more partitions (they're referred to as "Volumes" in Dynamic Disks) than a Basic Disk allows, and they allow for Software RAID's of Hard Disks. As for a performance boost, from viewing the fun my friend had with his 11 Drives and random configurations, there is no boost. The risk is that if you choose to revert back to a Basic from a Dynamic, you lose all your data.

Yep. You should consider hard about it because now I'm stuck with dynamic disks because I used to use software RAID. I really want to try MacOSx86 and linux but dynamic disks can only be used with win2000 or xp pro.