Log on...then immediately logged off

Hello, I hope someone can help me with this one.

I've seen mention of this problem peppered among the terminal server
newsgroups...but no solutions yet.

"Suddenly" (something MUST have changed), any user trying to log on to
my Win 2003 Server via terminal services, is able to partially log on,
get as far as the small dialog box "Applying your settings". Then for
about 2 seconds a totally empty desktop is displayed, followed by the
"Saving your settings" dialog and then the user is logged off.

There is nothing in any of the event logs that corresponds to these
occurrences. This happens to everyone who attempts to log on via TS
(even local admin). I checked the local "Remote Desktop Users" group,
and it was empty. I added my own domain account to this group, but
the problem persists.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Thank you.

I am having the same problem. This is after I applied the latest security
patches. Did you patch your system recently?

NTborg
"Mr. Land" <graftonfot@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I hope someone can help me with this one.
>
> I've seen mention of this problem peppered among the terminal server
> newsgroups...but no solutions yet.
>
> "Suddenly" (something MUST have changed), any user trying to log on to
> my Win 2003 Server via terminal services, is able to partially log on,
> get as far as the small dialog box "Applying your settings". Then for
> about 2 seconds a totally empty desktop is displayed, followed by the
> "Saving your settings" dialog and then the user is logged off.
>
> There is nothing in any of the event logs that corresponds to these
> occurrences. This happens to everyone who attempts to log on via TS
> (even local admin). I checked the local "Remote Desktop Users" group,
> and it was empty. I added my own domain account to this group, but
> the problem persists.
>
> Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?
>
> Thank you.

Do you have an Nvidia driver on server? There have been many posts about
Nvidia driver causing logoff in microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services.

Rajneesh
TS FAQ:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/community/centers/terminal/terminal_faq.mspx

"Mr. Land" <graftonfot@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I hope someone can help me with this one.
>
> I've seen mention of this problem peppered among the terminal server
> newsgroups...but no solutions yet.
>
> "Suddenly" (something MUST have changed), any user trying to log on to
> my Win 2003 Server via terminal services, is able to partially log on,
> get as far as the small dialog box "Applying your settings". Then for
> about 2 seconds a totally empty desktop is displayed, followed by the
> "Saving your settings" dialog and then the user is logged off.
>
> There is nothing in any of the event logs that corresponds to these
> occurrences. This happens to everyone who attempts to log on via TS
> (even local admin). I checked the local "Remote Desktop Users" group,
> and it was empty. I added my own domain account to this group, but
> the problem persists.
>
> Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?
>
> Thank you.

Hi again,

This problem seems to be a little common, so I thought I'd post what
worked for me.

One of our IT guys here suggested doing a repair option from the
original OS CD (Windows 2003 Server).

That seems to have fixed whatever was broken.

It's not a satisfying answer, but it is a satisfactory one.

Cheers...