RRAS + Nat setup for win2k server

chedJuer

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
i setup the rounting remote access(RRAS) and NAT for win2k Server with 2 NICs. i also have Active directory for win2k server too. I don't have DHCP server up cause i use the DHCH from NAT. I also don't have DNS server up too.It works fine in the client Win98 BUT it has never with the client of win2k Pro. Do i need DNS Server up for client win2k pro?
If yes, How i can configurate the DNS server?
by the way, the error message when win2k pro tried to get the ip address from DHCP of NAT: unreachable DHCP.
thanks
chedjuer

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by chedjuer on 05/03/03 03:24 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

mattg1000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003
First of all NAT has nothing to do with DHCP. You must first make sure your DHCP server is actually running on the LAN card on your Win2k Server.

I would recommend setting up DNS on the server and setting up forwarders to your ISP's DNS servers. This way you have more control over your DNS. Also be sure to setup DHCP to hand out the internal DNS first and then your ISP's external DNS servers. Also be sure to only assign the internal DNS to the server for both DNS entries. This will be the IP of the LAN card.

Also, Microsoft recommends that you DO NOT run NAT on an Active Directory computer for security reasons. Unless you know how to disable all services and ports on your WAN (or internet) NIC, then I would take it off. The best way to do it is to get a router with a firewall and port whatever you need to the server (ie. HTTP, SMTP, etc.)