ddr2 or ddr ram better?

DeathwingX

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
got a question for all u smart people out there:
Is the higher clock speed of ddr2 ram make up for its high latency, like ddr that hits 2-2-3 mine is at 4-4-5-#-14-19 (2t) but ddr is opertaing at 400 mhz and mine is at 667 mhz, so any thoughts would be apperciated

DeathwingX

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
amd doesnt support ddr2, so im talking about intel, and more or less just ram itself, im jw cuz i have ddr2 but my friend has ddr and im just wondering which has better perfromence

harlequin6791

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
amd will be able to use ddr2 with the new socket am2's.

as for the generic question which is better. If i'm not mistaken ddr2 not only is faster clocck speeds but also has less of a bottleneck in the amount of data that it can transfer.

On-Die Termination
On-Die Termination is what it sounds like. With DDR, excess signal noise was eliminated by transistors built into the motherboard, but DDR2 has the terminating transistors built into each memory chip.

Posted CAS and Additive Latency
These two, prevent data collisions within the memory while still able to transfer more read/write instructions per clock cycle.

Off Chip Driver Calibration
Increases signal integrity

Prefetch
DDR uses a 2-bit prefetch while DDR2 now uses a 4-bit prefetch.

Package
No, not the cardboard and plastic that the memory comes shipped in, but the packaging of the memory chips themselves. Using a Fine Ball Grid Array (FBGA), DDR2 can be made smaller than DDR which uses Thin Small Outline Package (TSOP).

however from what i've seen in the benchmarks which I'm going to regurgitate =b. Basically DDR2 is faster and picks up at its low end where DDR ended at its high end. However DDR2 currently sacrifices its CAS Latency and in doing so there really isnt much difference between the 2 in todays market. However DDR2 has a future for faster and more open timings. Allowing it to surpass DDR..

scoyle

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2005
Just speaking of the ram, with no other components in question, you can surely say that the ddr2 ram is faster. The loosened memory timings are outweighed by the faster frequency, unless the timings are absurdly loose. Since manufacturers are usually going for performance, you can count on clock rate being the performance affecting factor, as the timings are probably as low as they can be.

The timings will matter when the frequency of the ram is the same.