  • Printers
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 28, 2004 10:16:26 PM

I have a WinXP client which connects to a Win2003 Term Server. I have an
Epson printer on my client connected through TCP/IP. When I connect to the
Win2003 TS, my printer does NOT show up. I verified that the driver IS
installed on the TS. If I set my local Epson printer to print to LPT1 it
shows up just fine.

A few points of interest:
1) there is NO entry in the TS event log about a successful or un-successful
printer connection when I log in.
2) I tested this by installing a local TCP/IP printer on my WinXP machine
using a standard HP Laserjet III driver and it too does not show up on the
TS.
3) after further tests, I found that any/all TCP/IP printers will not show
up on the TS, no matter what make/model I install
4) if I install the exact same HP Laserjet III printer on my local WinXP
machine, printing to LPT1, the printer shows up just fine

Is there some kind of switch on the TS I need to set for it to recognize a
TCP/IP printer?

Thanks.

More about : tcp printer client

Anonymous
April 29, 2004 5:38:25 AM

Mark,
Read the article Q302361 from KB from Microsoft.
Normally, you only can print with local printers that use a port that
starts with "com", "lpt" or "usb"
If you want tp print with a printer that use a port starting with
other type of port: "dot4" or, maybe "\\machine_name\printer_name" you
have to modify some register keys. Doing this changes, I solve this
problem with a printer taht use a "dot4" port.
Good luck! (and sorry for my english...)
Joan
"Mark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<eVd9Q5WLEHA.3052@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> I have a WinXP client which connects to a Win2003 Term Server. I have an
> Epson printer on my client connected through TCP/IP. When I connect to the
> Win2003 TS, my printer does NOT show up. I verified that the driver IS
> installed on the TS. If I set my local Epson printer to print to LPT1 it
> shows up just fine.
>
> A few points of interest:
> 1) there is NO entry in the TS event log about a successful or un-successful
> printer connection when I log in.
> 2) I tested this by installing a local TCP/IP printer on my WinXP machine
> using a standard HP Laserjet III driver and it too does not show up on the
> TS.
> 3) after further tests, I found that any/all TCP/IP printers will not show
> up on the TS, no matter what make/model I install
> 4) if I install the exact same HP Laserjet III printer on my local WinXP
> machine, printing to LPT1, the printer shows up just fine
>
> Is there some kind of switch on the TS I need to set for it to recognize a
> TCP/IP printer?
>
> Thanks.
April 29, 2004 11:41:10 AM

Thanks! this worked great.