Remote Client need to use TS IP Address instead of Name

I have a test setup where I upgraded Citrix Winframe 1.6 to NT4 Terminal
Server.
I have a Windows 2000 Domain Controller and the NT4 TS Stand-alone Server,
along with two workstations.
When I dial in from a remote computer, (Windows98) I can't connect when I
enter the Terminal Server name, but it does connect if I enter the IP of the
TS.
I know it's a name resolution thing, but the solution just escapes me at the
moment.
Any suggestions please?
--

Regards,

Slarty Bartfast

You could use the Remote Desktop Web Connection so users don't have to know this kind of info. I have a customized version of the default.htm available for download on my website where you enter the server's IP Address or WAN Interface IP Address and all users need to do is click the connect button.

All you need is an IIS 4 or higher server.

Id dial-up a requirement, or do remote users have an Internet connection?

Files available here:
http://www.workthin.com/ZIP/TSWeb.zip

Remote Desktop Web Connection available here:
http://www.workthin.com/tsdown.htm

RDWC info here:
http://www.workthin.com/tshta.htm#RemoteDesktopWebConnection

If you just want to make your current setup work, you could give remote users a customized hosts file, setup WINS on your network or distribute a customized RDP Connection with the nerwe Remote Desktop Client.

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
http://www.workthin.com

----- Slarty Bartfast wrote: -----

I have a test setup where I upgraded Citrix Winframe 1.6 to NT4 Terminal
Server.
I have a Windows 2000 Domain Controller and the NT4 TS Stand-alone Server,
along with two workstations.
When I dial in from a remote computer, (Windows98) I can't connect when I
enter the Terminal Server name, but it does connect if I enter the IP of the
TS.
I know it's a name resolution thing, but the solution just escapes me at the
moment.
Any suggestions please?
--

Regards,

Slarty Bartfast

Thanks, Patrick. My Win2k DC was full of 'gunk'. When I re-installed it, the
problem went away.
I want to pursue the Internet access that you suggested though.

--

Regards,

Slarty Bartfast