Final Build, $1,128.47 Last Opinions Please

fastfood15

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Im going to order this system tomorror or maybe even later tonight if possible. From Newegg, of course! :)

Processor- AMD 64 3200

Video Card- XFX 7800gt

Disk Drive- Plextor

Case- ASPIRE X-Cruise

Hard Drive- Western Digital 250gb 16mg cache

Moniter- 3G Technology 17"

MotherBoard- Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9

Power Supply- LOGISYS 550w

Thermal Paste- Arctic Silver 5

Memory- CORSAIR 2x512

Total: $1,128.47

This is my first build and im going to go broke buying it but thats all cool. So if anyone can comment on it that is awsome. I will mainly be playing games and stuff on it, and of course homework. :roll: I noticed the motherboard's FSB is 800mhz but the processors is 1000mhz, if thats a problem can you please tell me what would be better? With the moniter i just want a cheap lcd display, nothing fancy. I was wondering if the resolution of the screen, being 1280x1024, was going to cause any problems. I have some old 1024x768 crt's lying around so backwards compatibility is no problem. I just want to know if that resolution will cause any problems with games or sharpness. I kindof wanted a widescreen moniter, but if screws everything up i cant move back donw to a 15" lcd. The power supply is cheap, i know, but the reviews make it seem that it works just fine.

So any opinions and wishes goodluck are very greatly appreciated.

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I assume you're gonna want to overclock the hell outta the Venice. Everything I mention can be found on Newegg.

I personally would go for the eVGA 7800GT - you get Quake 4 for free, it's factory overclocked, and the warranty is terrific.

Spend the extra $15 and get the CG 3200+ Venice - just search for the 3200+ Venice - there's a reason why that one costs $15 more.

Do you really need a Plextor? If not, consider the $45 Lite-On, which is also pretty good - not a Plextor, but if you need to save...

If you really want the flashy case look, go for it. Personally, I'd go for the Centurion 5 (Coolermaster), which is like $15-20 cheaper, making up for the newer Venice revision.

Hard drive is fine, although I use Seagates myself - two extra years on the warranty, but Western Digitals are fine.

RAM is fine.

Why such a cheap PSU? Your call, if you don't want to buy a better (albeit ~four times as expensive) one. I personally use the Antec NeoHEs, but the Smartpower2.0's are good too.

Don't know about the LCD - if you can get a comparably priced one from Acer, that'll work out better. Read some reviews on it.

Never used Gigabyte parts before, so I can't comment on that.

Have fun with your build!

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
There's nothing wrong with 1280x1024.

The FSB is at 200MHz, the 1GHz/2GHz stuff you see is with hypertransport stuff - you can set the HTT multiplier to 4x, 5x, or whatever. Read the reviews on Newegg, apparently this board uses the 4x chipset. It's fine.

PS - If you are, for some reason, not overclocking, consider the 3700+ San Diego, which itself is yet another very overclockable chip...

daweinah

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
Spend the extra $15 and get the CG 3200+ Venice - just search for the 3200+ Venice - there's a reason why that one costs $15 more.
What is that reason? Just curious :) I'm looking at the 3200+ also and didnt see any difference, except that the CG has 1.35/1.4v power or something, but I dont know what that means.

woodchuk

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
The XP3200 Venice with CG core has so called E4 stepping, which is said to include SSE3 support, better memory controller and higher net o/c possibilities.

FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
Definitely get the Venice core, better memory controller and SSE3. Also get a monitor with a DVI cable, you will notice a difference.

Maybe:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001070

That power supply is total garbage! Many people overlook the power supply but it's one of the most important components in your computer. Think about it, every component of your PC feeds from the power supply. 3 times as much but worth every cent:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153026