Connect to PC via wireless access point

September 8, 2004 2:09:40 AM

Is it possible to connect to a PC via a wireless access point.

I have a 3com 802.11g access point for my home network one of the PCs is
connected to the net and firewalled whilst the other connects to the net via
the access point.

I can connect to the network with my access point i.e. it says it is
connected to the access point (and the access point confirms this. I am not
sure though how to connect to either the net or one of the PCs via the
access point.

Has anyone done this before or should I just pack it all in and go back to
bluetooth!

Cheers

Mark.
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 2:09:41 AM

Sure, I use a Buffalo WBR-G54 4-Port Broadband Router/802.11b/g Wireless Access Point to access my
local wired/wireless LAN and the public internet with my iPAQ 5555 PocketPC and XP desktops.

http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/LAN/The_Illustrated_Netwo...

Download and install both vxIPConfig and vxUtil to help troubleshoot network problems...

http://www.cam.com/vxipconfig.html
http://www.cam.com/vxutil.html

What PocketPC do you have?
Do you get the SSID from the access point? Make sure your broadcasting the SSID from the access
point. There is *NO* good reason not to broadcast the SSID.
The access point should be in a 802.11b only mode or a mixed 802.11b/g mode. It should *NOT* be in a
802.11g only mode.
Are you using WEP or WPA?
Does the WEP/WPA key on the PocketPC match the access point WEP/WPA key? You can turn off WEP/WPA on
the access point/PocketPC temporarily to troubleshoot.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/wireless_en...
http://www.warewolflabs.com/portfolio/programming/wepsk...

Are you using MAC Address Authentication? If so, make sure the PocketPC MAC Address is in the access
list.
Do you get a valid IP on the PocketPC from the access point/network DHCP server? It should *NOT* be
a 169.X.X.X address and should be in the 192.168.X.X range. Use either vxIPConfig or vxUtil for
that.
Can you ping other networked nodes like the desktops? Use vxUtil for that.
Is your "Connection Manager" setup correctly?

http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/WM2003/Connection_Manager...

Post back if you need further help...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"MSR" <Mark@roebucknospam.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to connect to a PC via a wireless access point.
>
> I have a 3com 802.11g access point for my home network one of the PCs is
> connected to the net and firewalled whilst the other connects to the net via
> the access point.
>
> I can connect to the network with my access point i.e. it says it is
> connected to the access point (and the access point confirms this. I am not
> sure though how to connect to either the net or one of the PCs via the
> access point.
>
> Has anyone done this before or should I just pack it all in and go back to
> bluetooth!
>
> Cheers
>
> Mark.

Anonymous
September 8, 2004 3:27:52 AM

I may be wrong but I think Bluetooth is your best bet for connecting to a pc
directly.

I have a wireless setup at, the desktop connects to the internet, as does
the laptop, they also talk to each other. But my wireless ipaq 4150,
although connects to the internet via the wireless setup, it cannot talk to
the laptop or my desktop, as it has no network capabilities, (I'm running
pocket pc 2003).

Hope this helps, does anybody know any different?

"MSR" <Mark@roebucknospam.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to connect to a PC via a wireless access point.
>
> I have a 3com 802.11g access point for my home network one of the PCs is
> connected to the net and firewalled whilst the other connects to the net
via
> the access point.
>
> I can connect to the network with my access point i.e. it says it is
> connected to the access point (and the access point confirms this. I am
not
> sure though how to connect to either the net or one of the PCs via the
> access point.
>
> Has anyone done this before or should I just pack it all in and go back to
> bluetooth!
>
> Cheers
>
> Mark.

September 8, 2004 3:27:53 AM

Hmm.

I cant even get it to see the internet.

Are you using wireless access point to connect your kit?

Cheers

"Harvey" <asuz50@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> I may be wrong but I think Bluetooth is your best bet for connecting to a
pc
> directly.
>
> I have a wireless setup at, the desktop connects to the internet, as does
> the laptop, they also talk to each other. But my wireless ipaq 4150,
> although connects to the internet via the wireless setup, it cannot talk
> the laptop or my desktop, as it has no network capabilities, (I'm running
> pocket pc 2003).
>
> Hope this helps, does anybody know any different?
>

> "MSR" <Mark@roebucknospam.com> wrote in message
> > Is it possible to connect to a PC via a wireless access point.
> >
> > I have a 3com 802.11g access point for my home network one of the PCs is
> > connected to the net and firewalled whilst the other connects to the net
> via
> > the access point.
> >
> > I can connect to the network with my access point i.e. it says it is
> > connected to the access point (and the access point confirms this. I am
> not
> > sure though how to connect to either the net or one of the PCs via the
> > access point.
> >
> > Has anyone done this before or should I just pack it all in and go back
> > bluetooth!
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Mark.

Anonymous
September 8, 2004 3:27:53 AM

You can read through Sooner Al's stuff, but as you already have the PPC
talking through the AP to the internet you have less to fix. In File
Explorer there is a network icon at the bottom right. Clicking it should get
you a dialog box that asks for a share name. That would be from one of your
PCs. If you have shared My Documents, and named the share MyDocuments, on
the computer Desktop, you would enter \\Desktop\MyDocuments. That should
open up that folder for browsing.

Two things that can cause problems. 1) Pocket_PC is not a valid MS
networking name because of the "_". Change it if that is what it you PPC is.

2) Having the network card parameters set to Connects to the Internet,
hampers the ability to talk to the local network. It works more consistently
if you say the network card talks to Work, and then on the proxy page say
the work network connects to the internet. I know WiFi is built in to the
4150, but the screens think of it as a card still.

Lastly the built in network capability of the File Explorer is a bit
limiting. Third party apps like Resco Explorer make the experience much
nicer, in that they will browse the network for shares that you can attach
to, rather than you having to know their names and type them in.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Harvey" <asuz50@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> I may be wrong but I think Bluetooth is your best bet for connecting to a
pc
> directly.
>
> I have a wireless setup at, the desktop connects to the internet, as does
> the laptop, they also talk to each other. But my wireless ipaq 4150,
> although connects to the internet via the wireless setup, it cannot talk
> the laptop or my desktop, as it has no network capabilities, (I'm running
> pocket pc 2003).
>
> Hope this helps, does anybody know any different?
>

> "MSR" <Mark@roebucknospam.com> wrote in message
> > Is it possible to connect to a PC via a wireless access point.
> >
> > I have a 3com 802.11g access point for my home network one of the PCs is
> > connected to the net and firewalled whilst the other connects to the net
> via
> > the access point.
> >
> > I can connect to the network with my access point i.e. it says it is
> > connected to the access point (and the access point confirms this. I am
> not
> > sure though how to connect to either the net or one of the PCs via the
> > access point.
> >
> > Has anyone done this before or should I just pack it all in and go back
> > bluetooth!
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Mark.

Anonymous
September 8, 2004 11:31:06 AM

Thanks Guys.
Folowing Svens post I changed the setings to work and it al works now.
I don't know what I have done diferently as had tied it al before, but I
aint complaining.
Thanks for your post sooner. I have forwarded the info to my mailbox, this
wil be handy in future.
Cheers.
Mark
> Sure, I use a Buffalo WBR-G54 4-Port Broadband Router/802.11b/g Wireless
> Access Point to access my local wired/wireless LAN and the public internet
> with my iPAQ 5555 PocketPC and XP desktops.
>
> http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/LAN/The_Illustrated_Netwo...
>
> Download and install both vxIPConfig and vxUtil to help troubleshoot
> network problems...
>
> http://www.cam.com/vxipconfig.html
> http://www.cam.com/vxutil.html
>
> What PocketPC do you have?
> Do you get the SSID from the access point? Make sure your broadcasting the
> SSID from the access point. There is *NO* good reason not to broadcast the
> SSID.
> The access point should be in a 802.11b only mode or a mixed 802.11b/g
> mode. It should *NOT* be in a 802.11g only mode.
> Are you using WEP or WPA?
> Does the WEP/WPA key on the PocketPC match the access point WEP/WPA key?
> You can turn off WEP/WPA on the access point/PocketPC temporarily to
> troubleshoot.
>
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/wireless_en...
> http://www.warewolflabs.com/portfolio/programming/wepsk...
>
> Are you using MAC Address Authentication? If so, make sure the PocketPC
> MAC Address is in the access list.
> Do you get a valid IP on the PocketPC from the access point/network DHCP
> server? It should *NOT* be a 169.X.X.X address and should be in the
> 192.168.X.X range. Use either vxIPConfig or vxUtil for that.
> Can you ping other networked nodes like the desktops? Use vxUtil for that.
> Is your "Connection Manager" setup correctly?
>
> http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/WM2003/Connection_Manager...
>
> Post back if you need further help...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>
> "MSR" <Mark@roebucknospam.com> wrote in message
>> Is it possible to connect to a PC via a wireless access point.
>>
>> I have a 3com 802.11g access point for my home network one of the PCs is
>> connected to the net and firewalled whilst the other connects to the net
>> via
>> the access point.
>>
>> I can connect to the network with my access point i.e. it says it is
>> connected to the access point (and the access point confirms this. I am
>> not
>> sure though how to connect to either the net or one of the PCs via the
>> access point.
>>
>> Has anyone done this before or should I just pack it all in and go back
>> bluetooth!
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Mark.

Anonymous
September 9, 2004 3:01:54 AM

A thank you to Mark from the original question, I've learnt something now
and have also now setup my ipaq fully into my network. The members of this
newsgroup are worth there weight in gold!

Cheers
Harvey.

!