[Resolved- Thanks!] Socket 478 m-atx Mobo/ RAM/ Case upgrade

Wabbit

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
I built a Rambus system back when that looked like the future of RAM, so I essentially built a Betamax. Now I want to upgrade my mid-tower ATX RDRAM system to a smaller M-ATX, DDR system. I currently play games on it, but I want to also add a Win-PVR card and install Media Center Edition 2005. I don't overclock, and I have about $300 to spend.

Parts that I want to keep:
CPU: P4 2.53 Ghz, socket 478
Video: Geforce 6200, 128 RAM, AGP 8x (unless there is a mobo with better onboard video).

Parts I need:
Mobo: I am partial to Asus, but willing to try other brands. I want an 800mhz FSB with AGP 8x, SATA and built in NIC and sound, but I don't need video, serial or parellel ports.
RAM: I understand that DDR400 - pc3200 dual channel is the best I can get for my processor. I want 1 Gig of fast, reliable ram. Is there a difference between DDR400 and DDR400 Dual Channel?
Case: I want a small, cool and quiet case. Right now I am leaning towards the Aspire X-Qpack or Antec Aria, but it doesn't have to be a cube.

Thanks for any help!

Thanks!
(PS, Sorry about the duplicate posts, I don't know how they happened.)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually all the major brands are making good boards, I suggest you go to a site like Newegg and sellect the 865 chipset board with the best set of options for your budget. They'll all have integrated graphics, but the ones with AGP slots will work fine with the integrated graphics disabled.

If you're looking for a "sort of small" case, Coolermaster has a couple towers you might like.

Wabbit

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Thanks, Crashman! Why do you suggest the 865 chipset?
I've looked at the Coolermasters. They are good, that's what my tower is. I just have to figure out one that will work well. I'm not big into riser card solutions.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You won't find 875 chipset Micro ATX boards, and the 865 series is nearly identical. These are widely regarded as the best Socket 478 chipsets. Of course these are for AGP.

If you're looking for something newer with PCI-Express rather than AGP, your choices are very limitted (Asus makes one).

Wabbit

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Thanks again, Crashman! I just realized that my Socket 478, P4 2.53Ghz Stepping B0 Northwood CPU is not an 800mhz FSB, but a only runs at 533mhz FSB. Does this change your recommendation for chipset?
Thanks!