X800 crashes under heavy workload...memory needed?

TinK

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2004
Hey peeps,

i've got an MSI X800Pro from just over a year ago when they first came out. It's randomly crashing during 3D modelling on SoftImage XSI 4.2 but ONLY when using this software. Games run fine. Screen goes garbled into multicoloured crap that looks like a burn out. Fan works fine but was recently clogged with dust.

I know i should be posting my pc details and whatnot but was just a quick question. Does the fact i'm running an X800Pro on 512kb of pc2100 ddr have anything to do with it? maybe breaking under too much work load or something??? will buying new memory help? am thinking a gig or two.

Thanks for any help guys.

Tom

funnyvlad

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
I really dont know but I suppose you mean 512Mb cause with 512Kb even win 3.0 is not possible to start.

If you like playing games then you got to have 1024Mb ram. That help a lot of games but the answer to your question is "I dont know but I doubt that the memory is the issue" Except if your memory is corrupt. I had similar problems with a corrupt memorymodule(i didnt know that the memory was corrupt). I checked(after a while) my memory with memtest and saw an error. I changed the memory and it worked fine. But again: "I don´t know"

Cheers :D

derrickdrew17

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
man im having the simular problem with mine... I play Farcry and it will play for aobut 20min or so and the it will freez then the screen will turn garbled then the computer will lock up and I have to turn off the pc and turn it back on..? it driving me crazy..

j_dude

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Hi there

I had the same problem with my ATI X800XL, the PC would crash after 30 mins whilst playing 3D games under a heavy load.

The problem is related to the temp of the GPU.

The solution was simple, I took off the plastic cover off from the Heatsink and installed a 80mm FAN. This dropped the GPU temp at full load
from 52 C to 45 C (I ran the Doom 3 benchmark about 20 times to load up the GPU).

Hope this helps.

NBRFearme

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Hi,

I bought a X850 pro and had crashing probs. The temps were all good on the GPU and CPU. Just a thought but is your power supply sufficient? Those cards take a lot of power and under a peak load the power supply could crash.
I ended up getting a better PSU and things are ok now.

Cheers,

Fearme

HarrY

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
man im having the simular problem with mine... I play Farcry and it will play for aobut 20min or so and the it will freez then the screen will turn garbled then the computer will lock up and I have to turn off the pc and turn it back on..? it driving me crazy..

I had similar issues with a 9600 pro , its a diffrent range altogether , there are a few things you could try out mentioned above , for me running the card in 4x mode worked( i don't have the details on PCI - E cards) . I am not sure if VPU recovery is still there , try to disable it and check the performance. I guess you have already tried some diff drivers.
Hope this helps.

linux_0

Splendid
Your system RAM shouldn't have anything to do with it unless it's flaky or dying.

You can test your system RAM with a great tool called memtest86 which can be downloaded here:

http://memtest86.com/memtest86-3.2.iso.zip

Burn the ISO onto a CD, boot from it and let it run for a few hours.

Your PSU or the VGA itself may be dying. You might want to check your voltages to see if they are stable. Also check to see if the PSU is putting out enough Amps on your +12v line.

Please let us know what kind of motherboard and PSU you have so we can comment further.

Thanks!

Semper Fi Linux on

TRENDING THREADS