maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Hi. How can i clean my computer cuz there a LOT of dust and i dont wanna broke anything so i dont wanna remove my cpu fan and heatsink for cleaning. How can i do without removing things? I wanna clean cuz i get overheating problems.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
ok, compressed air will get rid of the dust bunnies in the dificult places aka HSF, and i would use a cloth on the bottom and sides(not on any of the components though).

for everything else you gotta use compressed air.

may i ask what are your system specs? and how many fans are there in your system and where are they placed?

more fans on the front and back with dust filters will help cooling and any future dust problem.

maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Alright. My specs is:
CPU Pentium4 2.0 GHZ
Videocard Geforce3 TI 200 256 mb
512 MB RAM
80GB hard disk 7200 RPM
SB live! sound card
unknow network card.
Motherboard: ASUS P4S8X-X

I got 5 fans.
CPU fan (stock) 2700 RPM MAX
PS fan (no sensor)
GPU fan (very small fan)
a kind of black fan between graphic card and sound card(no sensor)
a big desktop fan pointing at hard disk and CPU (i always keep my chasis open cuz it overheat)

all my cards are backward.
here a screenshot of temps and things:

http://tinypic.com/k2micn.png

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
erm looking at that screenie those temperatures are perfect quite low actually. im guessing that the overheating occurs in games and is giving you problems?

if not then the temps there are fine, the high CPU utilization at certain points is probably just the system starting to show its age, i would recommend backing everything up and doing a fresh windows install, that will get rid of any spyware/adware and give you a fresh start.

that black fan between the GFX and sound card does it extract air to the outside of the case? i would recommend removing it unless its a mini atx system those fans have been proven to make temps worse in full size cases but better in the smaller cases...but like ive already stated your temperatures look fine. if you have a fan space on the back i would recommend a fan be placed there to extract the hot air. and remove the pci fan, and cover the space back up with the pci cover.

my AMD idles at 38, and on load goes to 45.... with stock cooling.

also see if theres a fan space at the front bottom of the case and install a fan there, 1 fan at front bringing in cold air and one at back getting rid off the hot air...

maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
erm looking at that screenie those temperatures are perfect quite low actually. im guessing that the overheating occurs in games and is giving you problems?

if not then the temps there are fine, the high CPU utilization at certain points is probably just the system starting to show its age, i would recommend backing everything up and doing a fresh windows install, that will get rid of any spyware/adware and give you a fresh start.

that black fan between the GFX and sound card does it extract air to the outside of the case? i would recommend removing it unless its a mini atx system those fans have been proven to make temps worse in full size cases but better in the smaller cases...but like ive already stated your temperatures look fine. if you have a fan space on the back i would recommend a fan be placed there to extract the hot air. and remove the pci fan, and cover the space back up with the pci cover.

my AMD idles at 38, and on load goes to 45.... with stock cooling.

i know my temps is fine but when i put the chasis on idle is 35 - 40 and when i run a game, with open it go to 45 but when i run a game with chasis closed, it goes to 65 and my comp shut down.

maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
and for the fan between GFX and sound card, its a kind of blower because its open on side of GFX card but closed at sound card. i think its a blower.
Sry for double post

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Hi. How can i clean my computer cuz there a LOT of dust and i dont wanna broke anything so i dont wanna remove my cpu fan and heatsink for cleaning. How can i do without removing things? I wanna clean cuz i get overheating problems.

Once you get it clean, I suggest you take a look at the airflow path through your case, and maybe change your fans around to improve it. You should not have to have your case open (Most cases are designed to be cooler closed than open, because of airflow paths). This is why you are getting dust problems and having to worry about cleaning so much. You should make sure that your fans move air in a clean flow either from front to back, or back to front depending on your case design. You should also make sure that no fan is working against the overall air flow of your system. You should not have any problem keeping your case within tolerable temps with the case closed.

Also, are you sure the thermal compound between your processor and HSF is applied correctly and still good? This can make a large difference.

maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005

Also, are you sure the thermal compound between your processor and HSF is applied correctly and still good? This can make a large difference.

I dont know because i dint't build my computer. I buyed with stock pentium and motherboard and i send it to a small buisness to get upgraded videocard, motherboard, PCI card slots USB slots and SPS.
I dont wanna check if there is any paste cuz i dont wanna broke anything.
Cotton swambs are good to clean all?

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
If you are going to use cotton swabs, I would dip them in high purity (80-90%) rubbing alcohol first. It will keep the fibers down while acting as a cleaning fluid that will not harm the PC. If you have to, you can use normal household (70%) rubbing alcohol.

maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
But i don't have alcohol so can i use normal cotton swambs?

Do i need to clean the right-down corner? there is no PC things but a lot of dust.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
vacuum cleaner!
works wonderful in extreme cases.

you can slso take the cards out of your system, dust them off with a towel or something.. blow the dust out yourself & re-insert.

personally I preferr to take eveything out, clean it off good.. wipe out the bottom of my case, remove heat sinks from CPUs and wash them. new thermal paste and away you go.

Also for the overheating.. also make sure your case as enough room outside it for air to get in and out. close against a wall, or inside of a closed up computer desk are bad places.

maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
vacuum cleaner!
works wonderful in extreme cases.

you can slso take the cards out of your system, dust them off with a towel or something.. blow the dust out yourself & re-insert.

personally I preferr to take eveything out, clean it off good.. wipe out the bottom of my case, remove heat sinks from CPUs and wash them. new thermal paste and away you go.

Also for the overheating.. also make sure your case as enough room outside it for air to get in and out. close against a wall, or inside of a closed up computer desk are bad places.

i dont want to take off anything because i dont wanna broke anything
and my computer is case opened with a big desktop fan

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
But i don't have alcohol so can i use normal cotton swambs?

Only if you use 70%+ alcohol. Otherwise static might build between the fibres and short your system.
static? but i don't have alcool. exept beer :wink:

The cheap stuff it like $2 at the local drug store. Spring for it, its better than frying a component and being out maybe a couple hundred. Plus it cleans better.

link75

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
NOTE :!: when using a vacuum cleaner ,it is recommended that you use the plastic mouthpiece and carefully keep a good distance from the mobo components to avoid a sudden static discharge (very little it cant be seen of felt) that can fry something n damage it.

maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
NOTE :!: when using a vacuum cleaner ,it is recommended that you use the plastic mouthpiece and carefully keep a good distance from the mobo components to avoid a sudden static discharge (very little it cant be seen of felt) that can fry something n damage it.
how can i fry something with static? It need a REALLY BIG discharge to fry...

link75

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
how can i fry something with static? It need a REALLY BIG discharge to fry...

thats not true my friend,.............YES YOU CAN!! (simple Physics)

when handling components it is advised to ground yourself ,machine and wear a static band round your wrist. This is not only "really big" discharges but for the tiney unfelt ones that also cause damage.
see- http://homepages.pavilion.co.uk/jeremys/

@ wusy
Most people unplug their Power units when opening thier PCs.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Then people should be educated to only switch off the PSU at the back before opening a PC like I do. Eliminates the need for crappy wrist band.

erm no people unplug them cause there still electricity in the transistors, which hold enough to eltrocute you even when turned off. personnally i dont wear a wrist band waste of time just hold everything by the corners most chipsets have enough space at the corners to prevent you frying anything.

also you should know that sweaty or damp or hands you just washed can killl boards, just the oil on your fingers can slowly corrode the components.

if your really worried then use one of those wrist bands that has the socket that earths you through the main socket.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
erm no people unplug them cause there still electricity in the transistors, which hold enough to eltrocute you even when turned off. personnally i dont wear a wrist band waste of time just hold everything by the corners most chipsets have enough space at the corners to prevent you frying anything

Just to clear things up, the PSU acts the same from a current standpoint whether you turn it off, or unplug it. It still holds electricity that can electrocute you. And it is the capacitors that hold the residual electrical charge, not the transistors.

For the record, I don't use the wristband either. In most houses, if you leave the PSU plugged in, you can ground yourself on the side of your case first if it is metal.