Run a local application from the server

I have asked this question before, but did not get a reply:

I would like an application that is running on a terminal server session to
run an already installed application on the client system. For example, the
terminal server application needs to run a small application on the client
system that uses a fingerprint reader before authorizing a transaction.

Is this possible? If so, where can I find the resources to implement this?

Thanks,
Troy

As far as I know, this is only possible with Citrix. It's called
"content redirection".

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Troy Murphy" <thm92630@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I have asked this question before, but did not get a reply:
>
> I would like an application that is running on a terminal server
> session to run an already installed application on the client
> system. For example, the terminal server application needs to
> run a small application on the client system that uses a
> fingerprint reader before authorizing a transaction.
>
> Is this possible? If so, where can I find the resources to
> implement this?
>
> Thanks,
> Troy

Hi,

I have developped several times for this kind of requirement , using
Authentec Finger Print
and Digital Persona Finger print and with OPOS Ticket Printer, Cash Drawer ,
Line Display, etc.
The way to do it is using Virtual Channel SDK, this works similar for both
Citrix and Terminal Server.
If you are a good C++ developper, it's not so hard, just some weeks to learn
the SDK and develop the
components . There is a very good white paper on Citrix website, you can
read it here:
http://apps.citrix.com/cdn/bin/pdf/SDK/VCSDK_whitepaper_21299.pdf

I suggest you to download the Citrix Virtual Channel SDK and learn from the
document and examples in the SDK,
it's a good start point . Once you understand the working mechanism you can
apply to Microsoft SDK to develop for Terminal Server, because Microsoft
doesn't provide any example for this kind of development , but only the
document of the SDK, and that is not very easy to understand if you never
touch it .

I have created a framework using virtual channel for this kind of
communication, you can take a look at:
http://www21.brinkster.com/mctran2000/ . Read the page "How it works" to
understand architecture of the framework, it works exactly as specified in
the Citrix Whitepaper, but it's more flexible by providing in a higher
abstract layer the interaction with COM components . It take several weeks
to do that .
Don't wast your time with the Citrix Forum, they can not help you so much
like in these TS newsgroups :)

Good luck

Thomas T.

"Troy Murphy" <thm92630@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have asked this question before, but did not get a reply:
>
> I would like an application that is running on a terminal server session
> run an already installed application on the client system. For example,
the
> terminal server application needs to run a small application on the client
> system that uses a fingerprint reader before authorizing a transaction.
>
> Is this possible? If so, where can I find the resources to implement this?
>
> Thanks,
> Troy

Thanks for the information! The resource is appreciated.
However, I am apparantly not authorized to view your web page showing your
framework.

Troy