Disconnecting/ log off terminal sessions at a specified time

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002

We run a backup at a specified time each night . The
problem is we use terminal server alot and many users
disconnect while they have applications running and since
the files are open, the backup does not operate properly.
Is there any way to have all sessions disconnect
automatically at a given time say two minutes before the
backup is scheduled to start. I noticed idle session limit
settings can be configured for a time interval however, I
havent found a way to specify an exact time for logoff.

If you simply disconnect ts sessions, application runs in the ts sessions
are still running, and potentially locking/opening some files. Do you mean
you want to logoff ts sessions?
loging off ts sessions remotely is highly risky, as all unsaved work within
each session will be gone.
Do you really want to do this?

"Joseph" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We run a backup at a specified time each night . The
> problem is we use terminal server alot and many users
> disconnect while they have applications running and since
> the files are open, the backup does not operate properly.
> Is there any way to have all sessions disconnect
> automatically at a given time say two minutes before the
> backup is scheduled to start. I noticed idle session limit
> settings can be configured for a time interval however, I
> havent found a way to specify an exact time for logoff.

Thanx for responding. Yes , even with all the risks
involved, I would like to Log off all sessions at a given
time. Is this possible?

confers no rights

>"Joseph" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> We run a backup at a specified time each night . The
>> problem is we use terminal server alot and many users
>> disconnect while they have applications running and
since
>> the files are open, the backup does not operate
properly.
>> Is there any way to have all sessions disconnect
>> automatically at a given time say two minutes before
the
>> backup is scheduled to start. I noticed idle session
limit
>> settings can be configured for a time interval
however, I
>> havent found a way to specify an exact time for logoff.
>

>.

Yes, you can schedule a job that uses the "rwinsta" command. Be
sure to use "change logon /disable" first, otherwise they will be
able to reconnect immediately.
After your backup is finished, use "change logon /enable" to let
them in again.
There are some obvious risks involved in doing so: if you execute
the last command (change logon /enable) from within your backup
software, then it won't ever execute if your backup hangs (because
no tape is available or whatever). That means that nobody will be
able to login, until you enable logons again from the console (YOU
won't be able to logon either, through rdp). So think it through
before you implement this!

Matthew Harris has posted a command file that does this, in
microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps, around the end of april
last year.

Since that discussion used a great number of different threads
with different subjects, I won't give you the links, but a
synopsis. You can search for all articles in Google, use
"rwinsta" as the keyword and "Matthew Harris" as the Author.

The command from the console is:
for /f "tokens=2" %i in ('qwinsta ^| find /i "listen"') do
echo y | rwinsta %i

Be sure to substitute a %%i whereever you see %i appear in the
command, if you run it from a batchfile.

Matthews explanation:
The command is relatively simple, although the way I
constructed it makes it appear quite complex. First of
all, the For command runs the QWinsta command, which shows
all current sessions and listeners on your terminal
server. The output of the QWinsta command is then
searched, using the Find command, for the word "listen".
The word "listen" designates which sessions on your
terminal servers are the listeners, and consequently, if
you reset a listener, all sessions running under that
listener will be reset (thus, if all your sessions are rdp-
tcp, and you reset the rdp-tcp listener, all your sessions
will be reset). The For command then takes the output of
the Find command and looks at the second argument. This
argument is the session number of the listener. The For
command takes the argument and gives it to the RWinsta
command, which will then reset that session (the
listener). The Echo Y command merely says "yes" to
RWinsta asking if you are sure you know what you are doing
(and we do!)

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:26c2b01c462de
$3b087bd0$a501280a@phx.gbl:

> Thanx for responding. Yes , even with all the risks
> involved, I would like to Log off all sessions at a given
> time. Is this possible?

Or you can try this, save the following in a cmd file:

REM reset all session
for /f "tokens=3" %%i in ('qwinsta /server:%1 ^| findstr /bc:" console"') do
rwinsta /server:%1 %%i

The cmd file will take your remote servername as input. i.e. if you want to
reset/logoff all sessions (except console) on server MyServer, then schedule
to run it as:
My.cmd MyServer

The above command should not require you to have run change logon/enable.

thanks
Soo Kuan

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
> Yes, you can schedule a job that uses the "rwinsta" command. Be
> sure to use "change logon /disable" first, otherwise they will be
> able to reconnect immediately.
> After your backup is finished, use "change logon /enable" to let
> them in again.
> There are some obvious risks involved in doing so: if you execute
> the last command (change logon /enable) from within your backup
> software, then it won't ever execute if your backup hangs (because
> no tape is available or whatever). That means that nobody will be
> able to login, until you enable logons again from the console (YOU
> won't be able to logon either, through rdp). So think it through
> before you implement this!
>
> Matthew Harris has posted a command file that does this, in
> microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps, around the end of april
> last year.
>
> Since that discussion used a great number of different threads
> with different subjects, I won't give you the links, but a
> synopsis. You can search for all articles in Google, use
> "rwinsta" as the keyword and "Matthew Harris" as the Author.
>
> The command from the console is:
> for /f "tokens=2" %i in ('qwinsta ^| find /i "listen"') do
> echo y | rwinsta %i
>
> Be sure to substitute a %%i whereever you see %i appear in the
> command, if you run it from a batchfile.
>
> Matthews explanation:
> The command is relatively simple, although the way I
> constructed it makes it appear quite complex. First of
> all, the For command runs the QWinsta command, which shows
> all current sessions and listeners on your terminal
> server. The output of the QWinsta command is then
> searched, using the Find command, for the word "listen".
> The word "listen" designates which sessions on your
> terminal servers are the listeners, and consequently, if
> you reset a listener, all sessions running under that
> listener will be reset (thus, if all your sessions are rdp-
> tcp, and you reset the rdp-tcp listener, all your sessions
> will be reset). The For command then takes the output of
> the Find command and looks at the second argument. This
> argument is the session number of the listener. The For
> command takes the argument and gives it to the RWinsta
> command, which will then reset that session (the
> listener). The Echo Y command merely says "yes" to
> RWinsta asking if you are sure you know what you are doing
> (and we do!)
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:26c2b01c462de
> $3b087bd0$a501280a@phx.gbl:
>
> > Thanx for responding. Yes , even with all the risks
> > involved, I would like to Log off all sessions at a given
> > time. Is this possible?

But without running "change logon /disable" before resetting the
user sessions, they will be able to logon immediately after being
thrown out, which conflicts with the backup. So you need "change
logon /disable". And that means you need "change logon /enable"
when backup is finished. Or am I missing something?

--

"Soo Kuan Teo [MS]" <sookuant@online.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Or you can try this, save the following in a cmd file:
>
> REM reset all session
> for /f "tokens=3" %%i in ('qwinsta /server:%1 ^| findstr /bc:"
> console"') do rwinsta /server:%1 %%i
>
> The cmd file will take your remote servername as input. i.e. if
> you want to reset/logoff all sessions (except console) on server
> MyServer, then schedule to run it as:
> My.cmd MyServer
>
> The above command should not require you to have run change
> logon/enable.
>
> thanks
> Soo Kuan
>
> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
> in message news:Xns951E88B07605veranoesthemutforsse@
> 207.46.248.16...
>> Yes, you can schedule a job that uses the "rwinsta" command. Be
>> sure to use "change logon /disable" first, otherwise they will
>> be able to reconnect immediately.
>> After your backup is finished, use "change logon /enable" to
>> let them in again.

< explanation deleted >

>> The command from the console is:
>> for /f "tokens=2" %i in ('qwinsta ^| find /i "listen"') do
>> echo y | rwinsta %i
>>
>> Be sure to substitute a %%i whereever you see %i appear in the
>> command, if you run it from a batchfile.

Yes, it is a good idea to disable logon for backup.
the cmd script posted should not trigger the "auto reconnect", so you don't
need to disable logon to run the script.

> But without running "change logon /disable" before resetting the
> user sessions, they will be able to logon immediately after being
> thrown out, which conflicts with the backup. So you need "change
> logon /disable". And that means you need "change logon /enable"
> when backup is finished. Or am I missing something?
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> "Soo Kuan Teo [MS]" <sookuant@online.microsoft.com> wrote in
>
> > Or you can try this, save the following in a cmd file:
> >
> > REM reset all session
> > for /f "tokens=3" %%i in ('qwinsta /server:%1 ^| findstr /bc:"
> > console"') do rwinsta /server:%1 %%i
> >
> > The cmd file will take your remote servername as input. i.e. if
> > you want to reset/logoff all sessions (except console) on server
> > MyServer, then schedule to run it as:
> > My.cmd MyServer
> >
> > The above command should not require you to have run change
> > logon/enable.
> >
> > thanks
> > Soo Kuan
> >
> > "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
> > in message news:Xns951E88B07605veranoesthemutforsse@
> > 207.46.248.16...
> >> Yes, you can schedule a job that uses the "rwinsta" command. Be
> >> sure to use "change logon /disable" first, otherwise they will
> >> be able to reconnect immediately.
> >> After your backup is finished, use "change logon /enable" to
> >> let them in again.
> >>
> < explanation deleted >
> >>
> >> The command from the console is:
> >> for /f "tokens=2" %i in ('qwinsta ^| find /i "listen"') do
> >> echo y | rwinsta %i
> >>
> >> Be sure to substitute a %%i whereever you see %i appear in the
> >> command, if you run it from a batchfile.

TRENDING THREADS