Remote Desktop Connection users can only access Terminal S..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 1, 2004 6:05:55 PM

I'm running Terminal Services on my server, TS-01. When my Remote Desktop
Connection users attempt to logon to TS-01 they are granted access, but the
logon process stops once the desktop background is loaded. At this point no
icons are displayed and only the following files have loaded as shown in the
Terminal Services Manager.

csrss.exe

winlogon.exe

rdpclip.exe

However, if I give their user accounts Administrator privilege they're able
to logon fine. This seemed to start when I was tweaking a group policy to
allow "themes" to be used. (Unfortunately I neither recorded what I was
doing at the time nor can I recall/find a setting that corrects this
problem!). I was making this adjustment as a result of upgrading the
Terminal Server to Windows Server 2003 and wanted to give users additional
display choices. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Steve Snure
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 3:01:09 PM

That sounds like a very odd problem. rdpclip.exe facilitates clipboard
redirection, so it might be worth trying to disable clipboard mapping in GP,
that process might be waiting on a locked resource.

Cheers,
Drew

TS FAQ:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/community/centers/...

"Steve Snure" <ssnure@utelesys.com> wrote in message

> I'm running Terminal Services on my server, TS-01. When my Remote Desktop
> Connection users attempt to logon to TS-01 they are granted access, but
the
> logon process stops once the desktop background is loaded. At this point
no
> icons are displayed and only the following files have loaded as shown in
the
> Terminal Services Manager.
>

> csrss.exe
>
> winlogon.exe
>
> rdpclip.exe
>

> However, if I give their user accounts Administrator privilege they're
able
> to logon fine. This seemed to start when I was tweaking a group policy to
> allow "themes" to be used. (Unfortunately I neither recorded what I was
> doing at the time nor can I recall/find a setting that corrects this
> problem!). I was making this adjustment as a result of upgrading the
> Terminal Server to Windows Server 2003 and wanted to give users additional
> display choices. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Thanks - Steve Snure

Anonymous
August 2, 2004 4:40:36 PM

I had the same problem. I openned up Terminal Services
Configuration connections selected Properties on the RDP-
tcp connection, selected Permissions tab and added users
or Group permissions accordingly and then I was able to
log in as I should.
Good Luck

confers no rights.
>TS FAQ:
>http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/community/centers/...
rminal/terminal_faq.asp

>"Steve Snure" <ssnure@utelesys.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I'm running Terminal Services on my server, TS-01.
When my Remote Desktop
>> Connection users attempt to logon to TS-01 they are
granted access, but
>the
>> logon process stops once the desktop background is
loaded. At this point
>no
>> icons are displayed and only the following files have
loaded as shown in
>the
>> Terminal Services Manager.
>>

>> csrss.exe
>>
>> winlogon.exe
>>
>> rdpclip.exe
>>

>> However, if I give their user accounts Administrator
privilege they're
>able
>> to logon fine. This seemed to start when I was
tweaking a group policy to
>> allow "themes" to be used. (Unfortunately I neither
recorded what I was
>> doing at the time nor can I recall/find a setting that
corrects this
>> problem!). I was making this adjustment as a result
of upgrading the
>> Terminal Server to Windows Server 2003 and wanted to
give users additional
>> display choices. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

>> Thanks - Steve Snure
>>

>.

Anonymous
August 4, 2004 7:36:46 PM

Thanks for your reply, Ron. I had already checked the RDP, but I've been
suspecting that the built-in Remote Desktop Users group was corrupt. After
reading your response I decided to create a new OU called Remote Access
Users. I attached it to the remote users GPO I had created and used with
the old Remote Desktop Users group. Everything seems to be working fine at
this point. I'll respond back if there are problems.

....Steve Snure

!