TS Printers

I have a location that has installed a new printer on a
local server via Parallel cable. The printer has then
been shared on the server for the local network. This
site connects to a remote Win2003 TS for application use.

The problem I'm having is that some of my workstations
(both WinXP Pro and Win98se) have a local deskjet printer
and the server printer installed, but only the local
deskjet is being mapped in TS. Both printers are mapped
on the local system to LPT1 and print fine from local
apps.

Any suggestions would be great...
4 answers Last reply
More about printers
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    Update the rdp client to the latest version (5.2.3790), which
    supports redirection of network printers.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a8255ffc-
    4b4a-40e7-a706-cde7e9b57e79&DisplayLang=en

    Check the EventLog on the TS to see if there is a problem with driver
    names.

    --
    Vera Noest
    http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

    "forwejohn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > I have a location that has installed a new printer on a
    > local server via Parallel cable. The printer has then
    > been shared on the server for the local network. This
    > site connects to a remote Win2003 TS for application use.
    >
    > The problem I'm having is that some of my workstations
    > (both WinXP Pro and Win98se) have a local deskjet printer
    > and the server printer installed, but only the local
    > deskjet is being mapped in TS. Both printers are mapped
    > on the local system to LPT1 and print fine from local
    > apps.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be great...
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    Vera,
    Thanks for all the help!

    It appears as if the TS server is having trouble loading
    the drivers when trying to map the new printer. I'm still
    pretty new to TS, can I simply place copies of the
    drivers in the System32 folder? Or, do I need to install
    a "dummie" printer using those drivers?

    Thanks again.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    *Don't* install any 3th party drivers on your server, many are
    known to cause spooler (and server) crashes!
    Instead, map the client printer to a native Wiodows driver, by
    creating a custom ntprintsubs.inf file. Explained here:

    239088 - Windows 2000 Terminal Services Server Logs Events 1111,
    1105, and 1106
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=239088

    --

    <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:24a7a01c4602d
    $bb4c9690$a601280a@phx.gbl:

    > Vera,
    > Thanks for all the help!
    >
    > It appears as if the TS server is having trouble loading
    > the drivers when trying to map the new printer. I'm still
    > pretty new to TS, can I simply place copies of the
    > drivers in the System32 folder? Or, do I need to install
    > a "dummie" printer using those drivers?
    >
    > Thanks again.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    Well don't install any Kernel mode drivers if you can get away with it...
    (Windows will warn you when you install a dummy printer)

Printers Servers Windows