Operating System Mistake

Anubis7

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
a friend of my gave me windows 7 to use on my first build.

Turns out it is the 32 bit.

I wanted the 64 bit.

So far the only thing I have done with the computer is install the operating system and the video card.

I am going to buy windows 7 professional 64 bit.

should I completely uninstall windows 7 first?
Or just “upgrade” the 32 bit with the new windows 7 disk

thanks for your help

You cannot do an upgrade cross platforms, meaning you can't upgrade from any 32-bit versions to any 64-bit versions. You will have to do either of the following:

1. Create a new partion on the current hard drive to install the 64-bit (this called dual boot)
2. Format the hard drive, which removes the 32-bit version, and install the 64-bit

Anubis7

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011

alright thanks..

would anyone happen to have a link to instructions on formatting a hard drive? to install the 64-bit fresh

I'm new with all this stuff

max40watt

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Assuming your friend gave you a license/key for win7 and a 32bit disk, and is not actually using the 64bit disk with the same key for his own system, you can just use that same key and reinstall with a 64bit disk for the same win7 version. A win7 license is tied to a particular version of windows (home, pro, ultimate) and will install either the 32 or 64 bit version of it. So you just need to get that 64bit disk and do a complete reinstall of it and you'll be fine.

Anubis7

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011

ok here is the thing..

he claims that the key he gave me is a "company style" key.. as in its able to be reinstalled onto many computers with no problem..

-can this be true??

There are what is know as volume license keys (VLKs) that allow multiple installations using a single product key. However, there is a set number of installations; depending on your licensing agreement(s) with Microsoft. VLKs can usually only be used on Enterprise editions of Windows.