Changing client computer on 2003

We have Windows 2003 Terminal Server, and open licenses
installed as "per device". While it was 3 months unlimited
amount of licenses, there was a lot of computers using
them. Now free time has ended and we need to assign 10
computers to use licenses we bought. Too bad, after I
installed these licenses, server automatically re-assigned
them to computers that had their free licenses ended, even
if we don't need them. Now what I need is to change
computers that are using licenses. In help found that I
need to "Install licenses" choosing Telephone method. Did
that, called Microsoft in our country and got more
licenses to use while re-assign all computers, but they
said they don't know if it is possible and how to delete
computer from license using list, and add another
one, 'cause I'm afraid, Server will automatically give
these licenses to computer that we don't need again. So
the question in short would be:
How to change computers using Terminal Server Open
Licenses installed as "per device" ???

You can't, really.
Licenses are issued to any client that connects. You should make
sure that only those clients connect that you want to. Either by
restricting permissions to use TS (but that would be on a per user
basis rather than per client device), or forcing an immediate
logoff through a login script:

if %clientname% == NO_NO logoff

or disabling the rdp-client on the client devices, or use a 3th
party application to filter on client name or IPnumber.

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

"Tomas Vesciunas" <Tomas@edvonis.lt> wrote in news:575701c47470
$96496c90$a601280a@phx.gbl:

> We have Windows 2003 Terminal Server, and open licenses
> installed as "per device". While it was 3 months unlimited
> amount of licenses, there was a lot of computers using
> them. Now free time has ended and we need to assign 10
> computers to use licenses we bought. Too bad, after I
> installed these licenses, server automatically re-assigned
> them to computers that had their free licenses ended, even
> if we don't need them. Now what I need is to change
> computers that are using licenses. In help found that I
> need to "Install licenses" choosing Telephone method. Did
> that, called Microsoft in our country and got more
> licenses to use while re-assign all computers, but they
> said they don't know if it is possible and how to delete
> computer from license using list, and add another
> one, 'cause I'm afraid, Server will automatically give
> these licenses to computer that we don't need again. So
> the question in short would be:
> How to change computers using Terminal Server Open
> Licenses installed as "per device" ???

So if you have 30 per Device CALS... and say 5 thin clients die, or are
stolen. You cannot remove them from the licensing list to replace them???
You need to buy 5 new licenses??

Or presumably do an server OS re-install. But who's going to do that?

Oh, hand me a piece of paper, I'll print me some money.

Anyone know if my assumptions are right??

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
> You can't, really.
> Licenses are issued to any client that connects. You should make
> sure that only those clients connect that you want to. Either by
> restricting permissions to use TS (but that would be on a per user
> basis rather than per client device), or forcing an immediate
> logoff through a login script:
>
> if %clientname% == NO_NO logoff
>
> or disabling the rdp-client on the client devices, or use a 3th
> party application to filter on client name or IPnumber.
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*
>
> "Tomas Vesciunas" <Tomas@edvonis.lt> wrote in news:575701c47470
> $96496c90$a601280a@phx.gbl:
>
> > We have Windows 2003 Terminal Server, and open licenses
> > installed as "per device". While it was 3 months unlimited
> > amount of licenses, there was a lot of computers using
> > them. Now free time has ended and we need to assign 10
> > computers to use licenses we bought. Too bad, after I
> > installed these licenses, server automatically re-assigned
> > them to computers that had their free licenses ended, even
> > if we don't need them. Now what I need is to change
> > computers that are using licenses. In help found that I
> > need to "Install licenses" choosing Telephone method. Did
> > that, called Microsoft in our country and got more
> > licenses to use while re-assign all computers, but they
> > said they don't know if it is possible and how to delete
> > computer from license using list, and add another
> > one, 'cause I'm afraid, Server will automatically give
> > these licenses to computer that we don't need again. So
> > the question in short would be:
> > How to change computers using Terminal Server Open
> > Licenses installed as "per device" ???

No, your assumptions are wrong and the process of license issueing
is far more automated than you assume:

All TS CALs have an expiration date of 52-89 days. Licenses that
are not used (because the client does not connect to the TS
anymore; stolen; replaced; whatever) will automatically be
returned to the Lisencing Server after the expiration date. In the
meantime, your new replacement clients will get a temporary TS
CAL, which is valid for 90 days.

Note that these time periods are choosen to make sure that your
temporary license lasts long enough for the old license to become
available again.

Further reading:

Windows Server 2003 Pricing and Licensing FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/pric
licfaq.mspx

--
Vera Noest