PC Anywhere for pocket PC

September 8, 2004 6:34:03 AM

I want to use a pocket PC to run applications on my more powerful desktop PC
using software like 'pc anywhere' over a wireless network.

Is this possible ?
What Software ?
Which PDA.

As it is only keyboard and display data between the desktop and PDA I thoght
it should be possible.

I would greatly appreciate anyones assistance.

More about : pocket

Anonymous
September 8, 2004 7:50:41 AM

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 02:34:03 GMT, "S.Wilson" <swil7930@bigpond.net.au>
wrote:

>I want to use a pocket PC to run applications on my more powerful desktop PC
>using software like 'pc anywhere' over a wireless network.
>
>Is this possible ?
>What Software ?
>Which PDA.
>
>As it is only keyboard and display data between the desktop and PDA I thoght
>it should be possible.
>
>I would greatly appreciate anyones assistance.

your PPC has a terminal service you can access the computer with, bit
like desktop sharring in XP
--

E-Mail Addy arjftebhc@jryfutbi.pb.hx <---Rot13 it
watch out for spam trap in header

Free Phone Unlocking http://unlockme.co.uk

10p a Picture Message/MMS http://www.mmsit.co.uk/
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 10:40:43 AM

Another (IMO better) Terminal Server/client is Real VNC. Free client for
both desktop and PPC.

Mitch

"Cpt Jack Sparrow" <borg@deadspam.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 02:34:03 GMT, "S.Wilson" <swil7930@bigpond.net.au>
> wrote:
>
>>I want to use a pocket PC to run applications on my more powerful desktop
>>PC
>>using software like 'pc anywhere' over a wireless network.
>>
>>Is this possible ?
>>What Software ?
>>Which PDA.
>>
>>As it is only keyboard and display data between the desktop and PDA I
>>thoght
>>it should be possible.
>>
>>I would greatly appreciate anyones assistance.
>>

> your PPC has a terminal service you can access the computer with, bit
> like desktop sharring in XP
> --
>

> E-Mail Addy arjftebhc@jryfutbi.pb.hx <---Rot13 it
> watch out for spam trap in header
>
> Free Phone Unlocking http://unlockme.co.uk
>
> 10p a Picture Message/MMS http://www.mmsit.co.uk/
September 8, 2004 10:57:20 PM

The problem with VNC is that it's not firewall friendly. Try GoToMyPC (our
review http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=2849) or logmein.com.
Both with Pocket PC versions available, the second one free with some
restrictions.

These traverse a firewall by using port 80 to connect to a server, instead
of connecting directly to the host computer.

Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):

"Mitch_A" <naman-nospam@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Another (IMO better) Terminal Server/client is Real VNC. Free client for
> both desktop and PPC.
>
> Mitch
>

> "Cpt Jack Sparrow" <borg@deadspam.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 02:34:03 GMT, "S.Wilson" <swil7930@bigpond.net.au>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I want to use a pocket PC to run applications on my more powerful desktop
>>>PC
>>>using software like 'pc anywhere' over a wireless network.
>>>
>>>Is this possible ?
>>>What Software ?
>>>Which PDA.
>>>
>>>As it is only keyboard and display data between the desktop and PDA I
>>>thoght
>>>it should be possible.
>>>
>>>I would greatly appreciate anyones assistance.
>>>

>> your PPC has a terminal service you can access the computer with, bit
>> like desktop sharring in XP
>> --
>>

>> E-Mail Addy arjftebhc@jryfutbi.pb.hx <---Rot13 it
>> watch out for spam trap in header
>>
>> Free Phone Unlocking http://unlockme.co.uk
>>
>> 10p a Picture Message/MMS http://www.mmsit.co.uk/

Anonymous
September 8, 2004 10:57:21 PM

You need to open/forward TCP Port 5900 for VNC...

http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html#firewall

....and TCP Port 3389 for Terminal Services...or run both through a VPN tunnel...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
news:o 3n6AEXlEHA.3876@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> The problem with VNC is that it's not firewall friendly. Try GoToMyPC (our review
> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=2849) or logmein.com. Both with Pocket PC versions
> available, the second one free with some restrictions.
>
> These traverse a firewall by using port 80 to connect to a server, instead of connecting directly
> to the host computer.

> Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews): http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=2028
> Handango discount: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/handango_code.asp
>

> "Mitch_A" <naman-nospam@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> Another (IMO better) Terminal Server/client is Real VNC. Free client for both desktop and PPC.
>>
>> Mitch
>>

>> "Cpt Jack Sparrow" <borg@deadspam.com> wrote in message

>>> your PPC has a terminal service you can access the computer with, bit
>>> like desktop sharring in XP
>>> --
>>>

>>> E-Mail Addy arjftebhc@jryfutbi.pb.hx <---Rot13 it
>>> watch out for spam trap in header
>>>
>>> Free Phone Unlocking http://unlockme.co.uk
>>>
>>> 10p a Picture Message/MMS http://www.mmsit.co.uk/

Anonymous
September 9, 2004 11:23:34 AM

Yep... Bu some organisations will not allow 5900, and some clients will not
have a VPN for this. Talk about telco paranoia :)

> You need to open/forward TCP Port 5900 for VNC...
>
> http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html#firewall
>
> ...and TCP Port 3389 for Terminal Services...or run both through a VPN
> tunnel...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>
> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> news:o 3n6AEXlEHA.3876@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> The problem with VNC is that it's not firewall friendly. Try GoToMyPC
>> (our review http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=2849) or
>> logmein.com. Both with Pocket PC versions available, the second one free
>> with some restrictions.
>>
>> These traverse a firewall by using port 80 to connect to a server,
>> instead of connecting directly to the host computer.
>>
>> --
>> Mauricio Freitas, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
>> Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
>> Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
>> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=2028
>> Handango discount: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/handango_code.asp
>>

>> "Mitch_A" <naman-nospam@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>> Another (IMO better) Terminal Server/client is Real VNC. Free client
>>> for both desktop and PPC.
>>>
>>> Mitch
>>>

>>> "Cpt Jack Sparrow" <borg@deadspam.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
September 9, 2004 11:23:35 AM

You can easily change the listening port the VNC server uses if you want...Just a FYI... With that
said, since the VNC data stream is *NOT* natively encrypted, its really not a good idea to use it
over the public internet without running it through a VPN tunnel...

--

!