Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
Hallo everyone!
I got a friend who wants me to sell his old PC..
When I disassembled everything, I look at the motherboard, beside dusts, I noticed that the capacitors don't look ok..my guess is that those caps are failling, but i'm not sure..

Here is a Picture of it, and a closer look of it.

I could have re-build it again and try to run it..but I want to hear your advices before doing so..
Any inputs are appreciated, Thanks :wink:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, they're just about ready to burst!

I've had capacitors EXPLODE on Soyo motherboards, and ONLY on Soyo motherboards. Everyone else's motherboards just get leaky caps.

You can fix the board. It's very easy to fix it.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
8O My old Epox 8RDA+ failed completely from just a couple of dying capacitors, neither of which looked anything like as bad as those!

They are fairly easy to replace, but sometimes they can be a pain to remove. It might be easier to get a local electronics store to swap them out for you. Not sure how much it would cost though.

I've done it on a couple of motherboards and a graphics card myself. The Graphics cards are really easy because you can get away with attaching them to the back of the card. they have to be replaced properly on a motherboard though :(

pat

Expert
SOYO won't do anything to help him with his Soltek motherboard..

That being said, if you cantact Soltek, with picture of your board and model(Is it a DRV5 ?), they may send you the needed one for free. They did send me some to replace those who where failing on my FRN2-RL. Not hard to change, just check for the polarity.

Vascular

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
If you have never soldered before take it to an electronics shop.
Those capacitors definitly need to be replaced before you sell it.
Like Pat said contact Soltek and see if they will replace first.

pat

Expert
Soltek won't probably replace them, but may send the parts like they did to me.

My recapped board run a t-bird 1000 @ 1250MHz with 1.80v rock stable...

pat

Expert
By the way, if you're in canada, and you decide to scrap this board anyway, you could send it to me. I'll fix it and I sometime do nice low cost computer for peoples that don't have a lot of money. I leave them the computer until they can afford one.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
hehe, I sell junk computers to poor people, units that barely function, so they can barely get on the internet. And since poor people usually have more money than me, I don't have to feel bad about it.

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
Thanks everyone!
Ok..so I guess I won't sell that board then

The thing is I've never done solder before, and I don't think I have the tool for me to do this..
Now I'm not sure what I can do with that board, I think i'll probably just tell him that the board is dead, so I'll throw it away..

The thing is I've never done it before, and I don't think i have tool to get the job done... so if any of you is interested, let me know, we'll see what we can do for it, however I guess i'll let him know first.

Anyway, Thanks for your replys!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
d00d, all you need is a solder iron and some capacitors. I picked up a nice solder iron for $3 out of the "Cheap Tools" bin at my local Napa auto parts store.

When I say nice, I mean it does the job nicely. You see, quality is for people who want to spend money!