that oil cooled computer

bigsby

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
So I read up on that computer cooled by 8 gallons of cooking oil. It looked like a very cool project and if I didnt just get a new computer and had lots of money, then i'd possibly make that, except for the fact that it's a real pain to move somewhere.

I had noticed that in the video and the pictures, you never brought the oil upto the power supply. Is there a reason you cannot submerge it did you just decide not to do that. I think the computer would look much cooler if you had the oil going all the way to the top and the cover on but if you can't put your PS under then you'd have to change your tactics.

Also, for that project, would there be some kind of cooling that you could do for the oil to keep the tempurature down? possibly some very slow moving fans or (although this probably defeats the purpose of "silent") a liquid cooler. Just my two cents on this subject. Might be a project in the future.

7_vii_7

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
My friend did this project awhile ago. IT WILL SMELL UP YOUR HOUSE! He had to leave the top open and man o man it makes your room/house smell like french fries and burning hair.

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
LMFAO At This...... "My friend did this project awhile ago. IT WILL SMELL UP YOUR HOUSE! He had to leave the top open and man o man it makes your room/house smell like french fries and burning hair." And Yes The PS Would Prolly Burn Up Due To The Fact That It Contains MUCH Higher Voltages And Amperage Than Its Sends To The Motherboard And Components, But I Doubt It Was Faked Its Been Done Before

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
I Myself Plan On Upgrading To The 2.2GHz Dual-Core Opteron Soon Along With This Liquid Cooling Kit..... http://www.xoxide.com/thermaltake-tide-water-cl-w0052.html And Im Gonna Modify It With A CPU Water-Block And Some Clear Tubing (Will Look Great In My Acrylic Case w/Blue LED Fans) I Plan On Using It To Overclock The CPU (Opteron) Not The GPU Thats Why Im Modifying It, Im Gonna Use The Kit Blue-Dyed Mineral Oil Possibly. But I Need A Water Block Reccomended To Me. Any Suggestions?

tylerthedruid

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
It definitely wasn't a fake. I'm still wondering if we can cut open a hole in a mini freezer door and keep a computer in there with all of your soda...

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
It definitely wasn't a fake. I'm still wondering if we can cut open a hole in a mini freezer door and keep a computer in there with all of your soda...

condensation?... if not directly on the board then on the soda which may leak onto your board

Ara

Pl0pie

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2003
Combine the freezer with the oil. Look for an oil that won't get firm at the temps you will be having in the freezer.
Mount the oil isolated parts in the freezer and the non-isolated somewhere externally and you can overclock this oil cooled freezer machine :)

SiLeNtEuPhOrIa

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Combine the freezer with the oil. Look for an oil that won't get firm at the temps you will be having in the freezer.

There ya go!, dont even need a case, just combine the oil pc with the freezer, and whallah, the first pc encased in a block of ice (or oil rather) :twisted: !

Pl0pie

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2003

There ya go!, dont even need a case, just combine the oil pc with the freezer, and whallah, the first pc encased in a block of ice (or oil rather) :twisted: !

I might try this one day actually. They say that there oil got to 40°C on full load... Did they overclock in the test? With this setup you should be able to overclock any component which has a descent big passive heatsink :) :twisted:

tylerthedruid

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Maybe if you just encased the chipsets, CPU, and GPU in mini-oil containers that circulated you would have a cleaner computer that you could put the HDD into.

Perhaps sealing the HDD and putting it in oil would work too.

There's still the PSU... perhaps sealing it as well? oh wait.. not good idea, hot air.