Terminal Services question ...(mpr)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

My server is Windows 20003 Server, called niobe. My desktop is WinXP
Pro. And I use remote desktop application mstsc.exe to connect to
niobe. I assume this is terminal services.

Every other day, I have to reboot niobe before I can use remote
desktop to connect. On the day it works, everything is fine. On the
day it fails I get the error:

the client could not establish a connection to the remote
computer.
the most likely causes for this error are:
1) remote connections might not be enabled at the remote
computer.
2) the maximum number of connections was exceeded at the
remote computer.
3) A network error occurred while establishing the
connection.

Here's some things I have already tried for diagnosing the problem:

1) I can telnet to port 3389.

2) I've browsed around in the server event logs. Nothing seems
obvious (what should I look for?).

3) I've gone into the terminal services manager (on niobe) and reset
the connections, but that doesnt seem to correct the connectivity
problem.

4) I've never have a license file appear in the MSLicensing registry
key.

Only a reboot of niobe seems to fix the problem. This doesnt seem
right.

Any ideas about what the problem is or what I can do to fix it?

Thnx
Matt

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Does niobe run the retail Windows2003 Server (not the Beta version)?
Is niobe running in Application or remote admin mode?
Is niobe activated yet?
Can you check the event log for any errors?

"raffelm" <matt.raffel@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> My server is Windows 20003 Server, called niobe. My desktop is WinXP
> Pro. And I use remote desktop application mstsc.exe to connect to
> niobe. I assume this is terminal services.
>
> Every other day, I have to reboot niobe before I can use remote
> desktop to connect. On the day it works, everything is fine. On the
> day it fails I get the error:
>
> the client could not establish a connection to the remote
> computer.
> the most likely causes for this error are:
> 1) remote connections might not be enabled at the remote
> computer.
> 2) the maximum number of connections was exceeded at the
> remote computer.
> 3) A network error occurred while establishing the
> connection.
>
> Here's some things I have already tried for diagnosing the problem:
>
> 1) I can telnet to port 3389.
>
> 2) I've browsed around in the server event logs. Nothing seems
> obvious (what should I look for?).
>
> 3) I've gone into the terminal services manager (on niobe) and reset
> the connections, but that doesnt seem to correct the connectivity
> problem.
>
> 4) I've never have a license file appear in the MSLicensing registry
> key.
>
> Only a reboot of niobe seems to fix the problem. This doesnt seem
> right.
>
> Any ideas about what the problem is or what I can do to fix it?
>
> Thnx
> Matt

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

I think that you have not installed full-blown Terminal Services,
but enabled Remote Desktop for Administration.
That gives you 2 concurrent connections to the server. If you are
in the habit of disconnecting your sessions in stead of logging
out, then you would see this behaviour, and error message 2) is
the one that applies to your situation.

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

matt.raffel@mindspring.com (raffelm) wrote in

> My server is Windows 20003 Server, called niobe. My desktop is
> WinXP Pro. And I use remote desktop application mstsc.exe to
> connect to niobe. I assume this is terminal services.
>
> Every other day, I have to reboot niobe before I can use remote
> desktop to connect. On the day it works, everything is fine.
> On the day it fails I get the error:
>
> the client could not establish a connection to the remote
> computer.
> the most likely causes for this error are:
> 1) remote connections might not be enabled at the remote
> computer.
> 2) the maximum number of connections was exceeded at the
> remote computer.
> 3) A network error occurred while establishing the
> connection.
>
> Here's some things I have already tried for diagnosing the
> problem:
>
> 1) I can telnet to port 3389.
>
> 2) I've browsed around in the server event logs. Nothing seems
> obvious (what should I look for?).
>
> 3) I've gone into the terminal services manager (on niobe) and
> reset the connections, but that doesnt seem to correct the
> connectivity problem.
>
> 4) I've never have a license file appear in the MSLicensing
> registry key.
>
> Only a reboot of niobe seems to fix the problem. This doesnt
> seem right.
>
> Any ideas about what the problem is or what I can do to fix it?
>
> Thnx
> Matt

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

I am running the Retail version of Windows 2003 server. I have the
MSDN Enterprise, downloaded the ISO from that and installed from the
CD image.

As far as I can tell, it is activated. There is a registration
number in the my computer properties window.

As I stated in my original post, I have looked in the error logs,
there are things there but nothing that is obvious.

When I am done with a session on niobe I log off, not just close the
window (since that does leave the session open).

Matt

"Soo Kuan Teo [MS]" <sookuant@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<O8Q5vrZeEHA.1764@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
> Does niobe run the retail Windows2003 Server (not the Beta version)?
> Is niobe running in Application or remote admin mode?
> Is niobe activated yet?
> Can you check the event log for any errors?

> "raffelm" <matt.raffel@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > My server is Windows 20003 Server, called niobe. My desktop is WinXP
> > Pro. And I use remote desktop application mstsc.exe to connect to
> > niobe. I assume this is terminal services.
> >
> > Every other day, I have to reboot niobe before I can use remote
> > desktop to connect. On the day it works, everything is fine. On the
> > day it fails I get the error:
> >
> > the client could not establish a connection to the remote
> > computer.
> > the most likely causes for this error are:
> > 1) remote connections might not be enabled at the remote
> > computer.
> > 2) the maximum number of connections was exceeded at the
> > remote computer.
> > 3) A network error occurred while establishing the
> > connection.
> >
> > Here's some things I have already tried for diagnosing the problem:
> >
> > 1) I can telnet to port 3389.
> >
> > 2) I've browsed around in the server event logs. Nothing seems
> > obvious (what should I look for?).
> >
> > 3) I've gone into the terminal services manager (on niobe) and reset
> > the connections, but that doesnt seem to correct the connectivity
> > problem.
> >
> > 4) I've never have a license file appear in the MSLicensing registry
> > key.
> >
> > Only a reboot of niobe seems to fix the problem. This doesnt seem
> > right.
> >
> > Any ideas about what the problem is or what I can do to fix it?
> >
> > Thnx
> > Matt

Scott

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Are you connecting with mstsc and using the /console switch?

scott.google@lakesdhb.govt.nz (Scott) wrote in message news:<ed3e9b58.0408051226.37ee4f7f@posting.google.com>...
> Are you connecting with mstsc and using the /console switch?

I am using mstsc and I am NOT using the /console switch. Some of the
tools I have do not have console versions.