Why doesn't qwinsta work on SP2??

I've enabled the app itself, remote sessions, and enabled remote admin
settings w/the following script. Anyone know what port/protocol qwinsta uses?
The error I get is

Error opening Terminal server
Error [5]:Access is denied.

'Script to enable remote admin settings on SP2
Set objFirewall = CreateObject("HNetCfg.FwMgr")
Set objPolicy = objFirewall.LocalPolicy.CurrentProfile
Set objAdminSettings = objPolicy.RemoteAdminSettings
objAdminSettings.Enabled = TRUE
3 answers Last reply
More about doesn qwinsta work
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    SP2? Of what, XP?

    Could you describe the system you are on and the one you are connecting to,
    as well as their domain relationship? I've seen this before attempting to
    remotely connect to a Win2003 server from an off-domain XP system, but it
    sounds like your situation may be different.

    Jsnow wrote:
    > I've enabled the app itself, remote sessions, and enabled remote admin
    > settings w/the following script. Anyone know what port/protocol qwinsta
    > uses? The error I get is
    >
    > Error opening Terminal server
    > Error [5]:Access is denied.
    >
    > 'Script to enable remote admin settings on SP2
    > Set objFirewall = CreateObject("HNetCfg.FwMgr")
    > Set objPolicy = objFirewall.LocalPolicy.CurrentProfile
    > Set objAdminSettings = objPolicy.RemoteAdminSettings
    > objAdminSettings.Enabled = TRUE
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    > I’ve enabled the app itself, remote sessions, and enabled remote
    > admin
    > settings w/the following script. Anyone know what port/protocol
    > qwinsta uses?
    > The error I get is
    >
    > Error opening Terminal server
    > Error [5]:Access is denied.
    >
    > ’Script to enable remote admin settings on SP2
    > Set objFirewall = CreateObject("HNetCfg.FwMgr")
    > Set objPolicy = objFirewall.LocalPolicy.CurrentProfile
    > Set objAdminSettings = objPolicy.RemoteAdminSettings
    > objAdminSettings.Enabled = TRUE

    I am having this exact same issue. Have you found a solution?

    --
    http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
    Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Client-qwinsta-work-SP2-ftopict147575.html

    Hi,

    I'm experiencing this problem with some WinXP-Pro Boxes (WinXP-Pro
    Client), with SP2.

    Remote Desktop works fine. QUERY session, QWINSTA fail with the Access
    is denied message referenced below.

    Ethereal trace shows a DCERPC Error as follows ...

    Fault: call_id: 1 ctx_id: 0 status: Unknown (0x00000005)

    I can provide ethereal traces for both successful and failed sessions
    to 2 XP boxen. The one that works has SP1. The ones that don't have
    SP2 with Firewall enabled, Remote Desktop allowed and 'Allow remote
    administration exception' enabled.

    Any ideas or checklists to try would be appreciated. Event Viewer and
    FW logs don't provide any insight.

    Thanks and regards,
    Chuck

    Alex K. Angelopoulos [MVP] wrote:
    > SP2? Of what, XP?
    >
    > Could you describe the system you are on and the one you are
    connecting to,
    > as well as their domain relationship? I've seen this before
    attempting to
    > remotely connect to a Win2003 server from an off-domain XP system,
    but it
    > sounds like your situation may be different.
    >

    > Jsnow wrote:
    > > I've enabled the app itself, remote sessions, and enabled remote
    admin
    > > settings w/the following script. Anyone know what port/protocol
    qwinsta
    > > uses? The error I get is
    > >
    > > Error opening Terminal server
    > > Error [5]:Access is denied.
    > >
    > > 'Script to enable remote admin settings on SP2
    > > Set objFirewall = CreateObject("HNetCfg.FwMgr")
    > > Set objPolicy = objFirewall.LocalPolicy.CurrentProfile
    > > Set objAdminSettings = objPolicy.RemoteAdminSettings
    > > objAdminSettings.Enabled = TRUE

Terminal Microsoft Windows