Should I Wait For M2? Opinions Please

shan2752

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Currently, I have a P3 - 866 MHZ, Geforce 2 based system.

I definitely need to upgrade and I'd like to do my own build, which I have never done before.

I am considering getting a single core AMD 4000 (San Diego) with (2) 7800 GT's in SLI mode. I am an avid gamer and would like to get back into PC Gaming.

I know that the industry is at a crossroads with dual core processors and AMD's upcoming M2 format. I hear that M2 motherboards will not be available until the 2nd quarter of this year.

Should I wait for M2 or perform a build based off today's Socket 939? I realize that certain kinks will have to be worked out, most likely, once the new M2 format is introduced. So I may not want to jump on the bandwagon with the first generation of M2 based motherboards.

I want to spend around $2,500 and I want to be able to use the system primarily for gaming at least for the next three years.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Jagger

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
Its the eternal dilemma...

Major milestones over the next 8 months:

M2 chipset - will support faster ram. Also, you will likely be able to upgrade the processor over the following 2 years, if you desire (the 939 socket ends with the new FX)

Vista - it's unclear whether it will be worth it or not. It will be one serious resource hog (not just HD space and RAM, but also GPU power).

GPUs - will increase in power (signifigantly) every 6 to 8 months.

My suggestion is as follows:

Build yourself a nice system now using a dual core processor. I like the X2 4400+ b/c it easily overclocks and has a 2 MB cache. As more and more programs get written for dual core (and patched), you will see the X2s pull away from the single core processors.

You can't wait until all the latest and greatest technology is out because you'd be waiting forever. However, any system you build, considering your current rig, will be mindblowing for you.

My personal suggestion on some parts:

A 600 or 650W Enermax PSU (reliable and quite) = $160
Full size case (allows for better cooling) = $150
Fast Raptor 74 GB drive = $140
Seagate SATA or SATAII HDs for storage = $120
RAM: OCZ or Cosair - 2GB (two 1 GB sitcks) = $200
Asus 32X (not the full name) MB - one of the only MBs to allow SLI to operate at 16x. All others only allow 8x. = $230
X2 4400 = $500
DVD RW Drive = $50

That's about $1350

Graphics cards:

For door blowing experience, get two 7800 GTXs - will run you about $1000. It will take the paint off the walls.

Get a good aftermarket cooler for the CPU.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Or he could wait for the M2 to come out, then Socket 939 systems' prices will plummet...what to do, what to do...

EDIT: If you go with the 939 socket mobo, I'd definately get a dual core. For CURRENT games it has no advantages but you said you want it to last at least three years so definately need to go with dual-core for that.

HumbleGod

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
Not worth the waiting. Socket 939 is still the way to go another for at least another 3months.
Perhaps longer than that. Once the new mobos come out, it might be smart to wait a few months until they work out the quirks (consider the improvement between A8N SLI Deluxe and A8N SLI Premium). Do you want to be the guy who spends the big bucks on the newest gear only to find out that you got imperfect technology? (Of course, you WOULD be on the cutting edge, and for some that's a fair trade :) )

Like was said above, getting a 939 now will certainly be a vast improvement over your current rig. And to stay on top of things, you'll probably have to update in 2-3 years anyway no matter what you purchase now. I'd go with a dual-core 939 (preferably Opteron 170) for the moment.

pat

Expert
Everybody that want to get a new computer now SHOULD wait for AM2.

See, everybody that want a new computer will have to wait 6 month or so. that will make them in a rush to lget one.. which in turn, will result in bigger volume of sales and the price will be lowered faster. So, those who are not in such a rush and got socket 939 now will have enjoyed 6 more month of happy computing, and will be able to sell their computer to get a newer one at lower price.. And probably that the bug from the first released motherboard will be fixed too by the time, so we won't play the role of beta tester for motherboard... and have a perfectly stable computer from day one.

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Well Thats A Tough One.. On One Hand M2 Is Kind Of An Interesting Proposition And Its A Bit More "Future Proof" (Well, Quite A Bit) And DDR2 IS Slightly Cheaper, But On The Other Hand S939 Would Be Fine Too And Still Be Plenty Fast For Another 8 - 10 Months Becuase As Long And You Go PCIe Your Set Ither Way Becuase In Gaming The Graphics Card Means More Than The CPU In General (Allthough Not Everything) And DDR Is Actually A Bit Faster Than DDR2 Due To The Lower Latency, So Thats Kind Of A "Stalemate" Just Think About It And "Weigh" Your Advantages And Disadvantages To Make Your Decision.

shan2752

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Thanks for the info everyone, much appreciated!

I'm going to start putting a system together........ Realistically, Vista is going to cause another major stir when it is eventually released. I don't really want to wait another 6 months before I can experience HL2, FEAR, BF2.....

I wish things were as simple as they once were in the Commodore Amiga days!

I'll post my build once I put something together, I'd appreciate everyone's input before I buy. Thanks!

pat

Expert
Thanks for the info everyone, much appreciated!

I'm going to start putting a system together........ Realistically, Vista is going to cause another major stir when it is eventually released. I don't really want to wait another 6 months before I can experience HL2, FEAR, BF2.....

I wish things were as simple as they once were in the Commodore Amiga days!

I'll post my build once I put something together, I'd appreciate everyone's input before I buy. Thanks!

Amiga rulez!

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
dude your system right now is so outdated it's not even funny.. apparently if your running that system with no real problems.. then there's no need to wait for m2..

an xp2800+ would probley do you justice. But anyway, i'd honestly wait for m2 to release so like someone said before the 939 will drop.. go with maybe an x2 4400+ or maybe 4800+ is the $$ drops nicely.

i went from a 533mhz celeron setup to a xp2800+ 4 yrs ago and my system is still rocking out.

i am personally looking to build during this coming december.. possibley a tad later. plan on saving around 4K for the next build. but anyway look around.