hopefully simple cooling questions

McCloudb182

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2005
alrighty...

I have a super flower case, with all the fans it comes with..

2 in the front sucking in, 2 in the back blowing out, and a blow whole on the top

alone with my 2 fanned psu enermax600 (i belive) with its one fan sucking air in, and other blowing out...

I have an xp-120 on the cpu... with a delta fan (190cfm)

now, temps on cpu are about 42, just sitting in bios......seem kinda high to me?

I have the fan sucking air OFF of the proc, would reversing it and pushing air into the hs do me better?

I want to get lower temps before I OC the hell out of this thing...or atleast try, since this is my 1st time trying to oc...

I have this in my sys...
superfolwer case
an8 ultra
3500+ venice
1gig pc3200
74gig raptor (m)
80gig segate (s)

if you need any more info on the sys, please let me know...

I know 42 isnt too high, but I'm worried under load, especially oc load, that it will rise considerbly.

thanks!

mpjesse

Splendid
Yeah, 42C is a little high considering your setup. Here's my setup just so u can get an idea:

Thermaltake Tsunami case. 2x 120mm fans (one in front and one in back), 1x 120mm fan on the side of the case, 2x 7800GTX's Factory overclocked, 2x WD Raptors, 2x optical drives, and an Athlon x2 4200+. The coolers on the video cards and CPU are stock. I do not have a fan on my northbridge, it's a fanless heatpipe design. My PSU has 2 fans (like urs, sucks air from inside case to outside PSU) and that's pretty much it. My system temp is at 33C idle and 38C load. Not bad eh?

I have two suggestions:

1. Reverse the airflow on the CPU, it should be blowing down onto the heatsink. This should help tremendously.
2. Install a 120mm fan on the side of ur case. If ur case doesn't have a cut out for one, make one. It makes a HUGE difference.
3. Consider adding a fan on the blowhole on the top that blows air IN.

-mpjesse

McCloudb182

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2005
i'll try reversing the fan direction tonight...

should I try using the a dremel on the side?...im sure I can find directions and such online to do it right....it would be through plexi glass....and I do have anothe r120mm...100cfm fan laying around.....

I'll come back and let ya know how it goes...when i get home from work that is...