Guyi

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2005
Hi,

I've asked this before, but I thought new forum, new people. maybe someone knows

this is the rig: 2 HDs (WD 60GB and maxtor 40GB, will refer to them as 60 and 40) each is a master on its own IDE.

the 60 is awsome.

the 40 was, up until a few months ago when everything went pooey.

in several programs I get a message from time time (depending on the HD usage) "error: write delayed, semaphore timeout" (or something like that)

I narrowed down the problem to only programs that use data from the 40 drive. If the same data was on the 60 it would work perfectly. when I take the data back to the 40 the error returns
After testing the 40 with several programs (such as spindisk, etc) everything was ok.

The error was narrowed down to 3 main things: IDE channel, the ribbon cable, the HD itself.

I changed the cable, still gives error but less. maybe because i dont save important data or install games on the 40. I haven't checked the IDe channel (put the 40 on the slave of the 60's IDe).

Does someone know what the semaphore thingy is and why? (there is DMA to both HD) ?

also, Im considering buying a replacement HD, but i wont spend the money until im sure its a problematic HD and not something else.

Thank a billion with cherries on top to those that can help!

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Well, I know 'what' a semaphore is and generally how its used, but that won't help the problem. A semaphore is a software flag (fitting the physical definition) in the system that you 'set a semaphore' to let another process know that your process needs attention, or that some condition is set/waiting/something.

Like I said - knowing what a semaphore is and what it means in this case are 2 different things. ;)

Are the 2 drives on the same channel or different ones? Try the other way just to see. (or is that what you meant when you said you haven't checked the channel) Are there any other devices on the same channel as the 40g? Try removing the other device if you can and see if the same thing happens.

Mike.

Guyi

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2005
nothing is on the 40's ide. I havent had the time to start messing with the jumpers on the HD (im not very hardwarey kind of guy)

the problem is, that even if i switch it to a different IDE, i cant repeat some test and see if its ok or not. it might be, or it might not give the error. the error did not occur only a few months ago, which by then the drive was with me for 3+ years. the computer was with me for 2+ years.

also, id like to point that the store which i bought the computer likes to make things complex so the two ide's are the raid IDE connections as so "every device would be on its own ide channel" so they said. this causes a lot of difficulties access the drives through other places (dos and such)

as far as i understood from the error, it occurs when the drive doesn't respond in a certain time, then comes the timeout. that is why i dont think it is the IDE channel.

could be bad connectors in the port itself or cable or HD.

thats what im trying to figure out. what causes this. and if its worth buying a new drive

thanks again