CPU stuck to heatsink

I'm switching my P4 to a new motherboard. When I tried to remove the heatsink from the old board, the CPU came out with it. Everything seems fine, and none of the CPU's pins are bent, but I can't get the heatsink off. I used the thermal pad that came with the heatsink, not thermal compound (I'm kicking myself for that now). I tried to wiggle them apart, but there is no movement whatsoever -- it's like they're superglued together. Is there any way to get them apart, or do I have to trash a perfectly good CPU?
7 answers Last reply
More about stuck heatsink
  1. I had a buddy who had the same thing happen to his CPU. We simply took a small screw driver and very gently went around all the edges just slowly loosening it from all sides. Eventually I was able to gently pry it apart from the heatsink and everything was "A" ok.
  2. Though I've never tried it myself (mostly because I've never had the same problem at home)... I have heard putting the whole works in the freezer for a while will make the TIM brittle and you should be able to pop the processor off with no effort.
  3. Thanks, everyone. I tried a variation on Ided's advice and used a razor blade to pry it off. It worked great. Thanks again!
  4. thanks to all the suggestions yall have provided...the one that worked for me immediatly, was to use a small flathead screw driver and apply a little pressure to the corner between the heatsink and cpu top (((...((( the corner is the Key point 4 seperation )))...))) this is when you pull out the heatsink with cpu stuck to it.
  5. The razor blade... didn't really work.. or was I too nice with it?

Anyways, this did work ...
    http://suhastech.com/hardware/fix-processor-cpu-stuck-heatsink-fan-cooler-thermal-paste/
  6. The simplest way of removing a heatsink is to turn on the computer and run it for a few minutes to let the CPU heat loosen the heatsink.

If the CPU came out of the socket stuck to the heatsink, I think I'd try a hairdryer.

I think there's too much of a chance to chip the package and possibly damage the CPU by using even a small screwdriver.
  7. I used a hairdryer on high and focused on the area where heatsink and processor meet and kept the heat going for about 5 minutes, turning it after a minute or so to get all sides heated up. With a decent tug all on one side, I managed to separate them with no issues.

Caution; there is a high chance you might bend a pin if you aren't careful how you are positioned when pulling the cpu apart from the heatsink.
    Also, the heatsink becomes extremely hot, so I had to use a cloth to be able to hold the heatsink. It was an interesting adventure, but it worked.

I would recommend trying what another posted mentioned, and run the pc for 20-30 minutes to let the cpu and heatsink heat up first, then do the pull.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Heatsinks