A question concerning IFR plans in FS2004

Hi everybody,

I am wondering if there´s a simple way of putting together an IFR plan
in FS2004 so that the departure and arrival airports are the same - one
and only airport? This because I would like to e.g. fly some VOR-VOR
tours in my country based on an old real-life military pilot´s log book
that I inherited from my father.

1 - I tried to enter the same airport in both dep. & arr. fields in the
flight planner but that did not seem to work too well. How to enter the
route in this case? By dragging the red line? Can´t see that at all.

2 - Secondly, when I made a route in the flight planner that did a tour
and arrived near the airport I left from, I started having a difficulty
with the FS2004 ATC trying to force me to land to an international
airport while the filght plan only meant to go to the airport´s VOR and
then turning back (by doing a sharp turn nearly to the direction that I
came from - but not the exactly same direction). After failing to force
me down ;-) the ATC seemed to be the reason that the whole sim totally
crashed.

Has anyone had problems like these? Any ideas, any easy tricks to put
together a circle-like flight plan?

Pekka

I have not tried this as I never make flight plans, but could you not fly to
a waypoint and then back to your starter airfield?

Cheers,

Quilly

GREGORY

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:12:14 +0100, "Quilljar"
<wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> brought the following to our
attention:

>I have not tried this as I never make flight plans, but could you not fly to
>a waypoint and then back to your starter airfield?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Quilly

no flight plans.. Sa! ?

and from someone that has long history of flying. :}

Some of us that are purely desk jockies like to make all kinds of
plans and routes. It's easy and fun! This terrain is so rugged and
treacherous that it was decided to set up some arbitrary fixes with
turns on the radials.

Is it correct..? shrug .. most interesting to work with though...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/Scr503.gif

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/Scr504.gif

As for a flightplan loop.. it's a case of `take it into the Sim lab'
and see if it'll work.

-Gregory

Here's the trick...

Note that this will only work when you have another waypoint (airport,
intersection, vor, or ndb) relatively near the departure airport.

First, keep this in mind: the flight planner routes you from exactly where
you tell it that your plane is on the airport, and returns you to
more-or-less the center of the airport.

So, do not start your flight at the "active runway". Start at a parking
space as far from the center of the airport as possible.

Begin by using Create a new flight from the start up screen. Then select the
same airport for both departure and destination and click Fly now. You will
have to be "inside" a flight in order to make this work.

Next, use [ctrl]+s to give you a top down view of the airport. Zoom as
necessary during this process. Then use the menu system: [alt] - World - Go
to airport. This will bring you to the select an airport screen. Look for
the field that shows: Active Runway, then click the drop down list. You will
then see a list of all of the runways on the airport, and following that,
you will see a list of all of the parking areas. Select one, then see how
close it is to the center of the airport in the top-down view. Keep checking
parking areas until you find the one farthest from the center of the
airport.

Make a note of the number of this parking area, and go into flight planner.
You will still have the same airport for both departure and destination. On
the departure section, select the parking area you previously chose, and
click Find route.

Then go to the Edit tab. Make sure you have: Airports, Intersections, VOR's,
and NDB's displayed. Then begin zooming in on the departure airport. As you
zoom closer, you will gradually see the red line extending from the parking
spot you previously chose to the center of the airport.

Now comes the tough part. You will need to zoom and move the "view" around
until you can see both the red line, even if it's extremely short, and any
other waypoint (airport, intersection, vor, or ndb). Don't be concerned with
whether you want the way point to be on your flight plan; all we are trying
to do is get a line of a workable length from your starting point to another
waypoint and back to your destination. Note that the line between the
parking area and the center of the airport doesn't need to be very long;
experiment until you find the shortest line that you can still "grab and
drag".

After you have "hooked" your first waypoint, zoom out a bit and drag the red
line to another waypoint, again with no concern for whether you want it on
your final flight plan. Keep doing this until you are able to hook a
waypoint that you DO want to have on your flight plan. Then delete the
unneeded waypoints, and continue adding waypoints to your route.

Note that these techniques are also valuable when you want to have one or
more waypoints along a flight between two distant airports. Just zoom and
"hook" anything until you are finally able to "hook" the desired waypoint,
then delete the unneeded ones.

And keep in mind, the explanation is far more complicated than the actual
process.

Good luck...

"Pekka Raninen" <pekka.raninen@pp2.inet.fi> wrote in message
> Hi everybody,
>
> I am wondering if there´s a simple way of putting together an IFR plan
> in FS2004 so that the departure and arrival airports are the same - one
> and only airport? This because I would like to e.g. fly some VOR-VOR
> tours in my country based on an old real-life military pilot´s log book
> that I inherited from my father.
>
> 1 - I tried to enter the same airport in both dep. & arr. fields in the
> flight planner but that did not seem to work too well. How to enter the
> route in this case? By dragging the red line? Can´t see that at all.
>
> 2 - Secondly, when I made a route in the flight planner that did a tour
> and arrived near the airport I left from, I started having a difficulty
> with the FS2004 ATC trying to force me to land to an international
> airport while the filght plan only meant to go to the airport´s VOR and
> then turning back (by doing a sharp turn nearly to the direction that I
> came from - but not the exactly same direction). After failing to force
> me down ;-) the ATC seemed to be the reason that the whole sim totally
> crashed.
>
> Has anyone had problems like these? Any ideas, any easy tricks to put
> together a circle-like flight plan?
>
> Pekka

GREGORY

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:26:39 GMT, James Hodson
<jUNDERSCOREhodson@ntlworld.com.invalid> brought the following to our
attention:

>On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 08:42:52 -0500, Gregory
><flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/Scr503.gif
>>
>> http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/Scr504.gif
>
>Hi Gregory
>
>Are those gifs screen-shots from FS9?

James.. those are clips of FSNav running in FS8.
Am always taking screens shots.. of everything..
and then working with them in PSP7 after the flight.

-G

p.s. all graphics are squared up to the nearest 5-pix
ever notice that? won't see any 461x754 here!!

> no flight plans.. Sa! ?
>
> and from someone that has long history of flying. :}
>
> Some of us that are purely desk jockies like to make all kinds of
> plans and routes. It's easy and fun! This terrain is so rugged and
> treacherous that it was decided to set up some arbitrary fixes with
> turns on the radials.

Yes I have made Flight plans IRL when it was required, but in a SIM? No.

Cheers,

Quilly

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:08:40 -0500, Gregory
<flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote:

>>Are those gifs screen-shots from FS9?
>>

>James.. those are clips of FSNav running in FS8.
>Am always taking screens shots.. of everything..
>and then working with them in PSP7 after the flight.

OK. Thanks. Looks quite impressive.

James

"Pekka Raninen" <pekka.raninen@pp2.inet.fi> wrote in message
> Hi everybody,
>
> I am wondering if there´s a simple way of putting together an IFR plan
> in FS2004 so that the departure and arrival airports are the same - one
> and only airport? This because I would like to e.g. fly some VOR-VOR
> tours in my country based on an old real-life military pilot´s log book
> that I inherited from my father.

What I have done is to create TWO flight plans, one from the departure
airport to the intermediate point, and then another flight plan back to the
original airport. next, I open the flight plans in Notepad (or any text
editor) and simply paste them together.

Here's an example --

IFR Moody AFB to Jacksonville NAS.PLN contains:

[flightplan]
AppVersion=9.1.40901
title=KVAD to KNIP
description=KVAD, KNIP
type=IFR
routetype=2
cruising_altitude=3000
departure_id=KVAD, N30* 57.40', W83* 11.46', +000233.00
departure_position=36R
destination_id=KNIP, N30* 13.88', W81* 39.94', +000021.99
departure_name=Moody AFB
destination_name=Jacksonville NAS
waypoint.0=, KVAD, , KVAD, A, N30* 57.40', W83* 11.46', +000233.00,
waypoint.1=K7, VQQ, , VQQ, V, N30* 12.78', W81* 53.45', +000000.00,
waypoint.2=, KNIP, , KNIP, A, N30* 13.88', W81* 39.94', +000021.99,

IFR Jacksonville NAS to Moody AFB.PLN contains:

[flightplan]
AppVersion=9.1.40901
title=KNIP to KVAD
description=KNIP, KVAD
type=IFR
routetype=2
cruising_altitude=4000
departure_id=KNIP, N30* 13.88', W81* 39.94', +000021.99
departure_position=32
destination_id=KVAD, N30* 57.40', W83* 11.46', +000233.00
departure_name=Jacksonville NAS
destination_name=Moody AFB
waypoint.0=, KNIP, , KNIP, A, N30* 13.88', W81* 39.94', +000021.99,
waypoint.1=K7, TAY, , TAY, V, N30* 30.28', W82* 33.17', +000000.00,
waypoint.2=, KVAD, , KVAD, A, N30* 57.40', W83* 11.46', +000233.00,

To combine them, simply copy directly from the first file, then change
all the "destination" lines to what the SECOND file shows. Next, copy the
waypoints from the second file and add to the bottom. Make sure you change
the waypoint numbers to consecutive numbers or FS9 will get really confused
and I think it'll crash. Also be sure to delete any duplicate waypoints.

The end result with the above example should show the following:

[flightplan]
AppVersion=9.1.40901
title=KVAD to KVAD
description=KVAD, KVAD
type=IFR
routetype=2
cruising_altitude=3000
departure_id=KVAD, N30* 57.40', W83* 11.46', +000233.00
departure_position=36R
destination_id=KVAD, N30* 57.40', W83* 11.46', +000233.00
departure_name=Moody AFB
destination_name=Moody AFB
waypoint.0=, KVAD, , KVAD, A, N30* 57.40', W83* 11.46', +000233.00,
waypoint.1=K7, VQQ, , VQQ, V, N30* 12.78', W81* 53.45', +000000.00,
waypoint.2=, KNIP, , KNIP, A, N30* 13.88', W81* 39.94', +000021.99,
waypoint.3=K7, TAY, , TAY, V, N30* 30.28', W82* 33.17', +000000.00,
waypoint.4=, KVAD, , KVAD, A, N30* 57.40', W83* 11.46', +000233.00,

This has always worked for me, but it took a bit of trial and error to
figure it out.

HTH,
Earl

--