Licnesing Question

I have a workstation that had Windows 2000 Professional on it. It could
connect to Windows 2003 Terminal Services with no problem. It said a client
license was included in Windows 2000 naad XP professional.

I updared it to Windows XP Professional and accessed the WIndows 2003
Terminal Server, no problem, but only for 90 days.

Now I cannot access the terminal services - why not?

What do I have to do to get this to work???

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Windows 2000 Professional and XP Pro clients can connect to a
Windows 2000 TS, and receive a free TS CAL from the TS Licensing
Server.

When they connect to a Windows 2003 TS, they don't get a free TS
CAL, they need a purchased TS CAL.
So you need to install and activate a TS Licensing Server, if you
haven't already done that, and purchase and install TS CALs on it.

Windows Server 2003 Pricing and Licensing FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/pric
licfaq.mspx

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Dan Berg" <danb555@hrmsi.com> wrote on 10 sep 2004:

> I have a workstation that had Windows 2000 Professional on it.
> It could connect to Windows 2003 Terminal Services with no
> problem. It said a client license was included in Windows 2000
> naad XP professional.
>
> I updared it to Windows XP Professional and accessed the WIndows
> 2003 Terminal Server, no problem, but only for 90 days.
>
> Now I cannot access the terminal services - why not?
>
> What do I have to do to get this to work???
>
> Thanks in advance,
>

> Dan

This is really stupid, if I had a Windows 2000 Server and I was using XP Pro
or W2K Pro I could use terminal server without a CAL becuase it was built
in, now if I ugraded to Windows 2003 Server, it doesn't work anymore and I
need to spend more money.

You preach how great upgrading is, but you failed to mention that the only
great thing is a profit for your stupid monoloply.

I guess we'll need to go to Linux and X windows.

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
> Windows 2000 Professional and XP Pro clients can connect to a
> Windows 2000 TS, and receive a free TS CAL from the TS Licensing
> Server.
>
> When they connect to a Windows 2003 TS, they don't get a free TS
> CAL, they need a purchased TS CAL.
> So you need to install and activate a TS Licensing Server, if you
> haven't already done that, and purchase and install TS CALs on it.
>
> Windows Server 2003 Pricing and Licensing FAQ
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/pric
> licfaq.mspx
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> "Dan Berg" <danb555@hrmsi.com> wrote on 10 sep 2004:
>
>> I have a workstation that had Windows 2000 Professional on it.
>> It could connect to Windows 2003 Terminal Services with no
>> problem. It said a client license was included in Windows 2000
>> naad XP professional.
>>
>> I updared it to Windows XP Professional and accessed the WIndows
>> 2003 Terminal Server, no problem, but only for 90 days.
>>
>> Now I cannot access the terminal services - why not?
>>
>> What do I have to do to get this to work???
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>

>> Dan

Look at it this way:
when I change my old car for a newer model, I am expecting to have
to pay money to the car dealer. I won't get a newer model for
free. Why do you feel that this universal principle should not
apply to server software?

And it's documented in several places, so it shouldn't come as a
surprise to you.

Windows Server 2003 Pricing and Licensing FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/pric
licfaq.mspx

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

"Dan Berg" <danb555@hrmsi.com> wrote on 16 sep 2004:

> This is really stupid, if I had a Windows 2000 Server and I was
> using XP Pro or W2K Pro I could use terminal server without a
> CAL becuase it was built in, now if I ugraded to Windows 2003
> Server, it doesn't work anymore and I need to spend more money.
>
> You preach how great upgrading is, but you failed to mention
> that the only great thing is a profit for your stupid monoloply.
>
> I guess we'll need to go to Linux and X windows.
>

> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
> in message
>> Windows 2000 Professional and XP Pro clients can connect to a
>> Windows 2000 TS, and receive a free TS CAL from the TS
>> Licensing Server.
>>
>> When they connect to a Windows 2003 TS, they don't get a free
>> TS CAL, they need a purchased TS CAL.
>> So you need to install and activate a TS Licensing Server, if
>> you haven't already done that, and purchase and install TS CALs
>> on it.
>>
>> Windows Server 2003 Pricing and Licensing FAQ

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/pr
>> ic licfaq.mspx
>>
>> --
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>>
>> "Dan Berg" <danb555@hrmsi.com> wrote on 10 sep 2004:
>>
>>> I have a workstation that had Windows 2000 Professional on it.
>>> It could connect to Windows 2003 Terminal Services with no
>>> problem. It said a client license was included in Windows
>>> 2000 naad XP professional.
>>>
>>> I updared it to Windows XP Professional and accessed the
>>> WIndows 2003 Terminal Server, no problem, but only for 90
>>> days.
>>>
>>> Now I cannot access the terminal services - why not?
>>>
>>> What do I have to do to get this to work???
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>

>>> Dan

OK, but when I buy a new car, I do not find out after getting it that I can
no longer drive it with my old shoes, becuase those shoes can with the old
car, and I got used to those shoes. New car, old shoes, can't drive. Why
would you give the software license away, then 3 years later when we upgrade
make us pay an exobinante amount after silently giving us a 120-day grace
period, then BAM send Microsoft more money!!!

How can I order just one single copy of Terminal Services Client Access
License.
We are not on any select volume licensing program. Is it downloadable?

Do I get a Device License or a User License? Where is the difference
explianed?

> Look at it this way:
> when I change my old car for a newer model, I am expecting to have
> to pay money to the car dealer. I won't get a newer model for
> free. Why do you feel that this universal principle should not
> apply to server software?
>
> And it's documented in several places, so it shouldn't come as a
> surprise to you.
>
> Windows Server 2003 Pricing and Licensing FAQ
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/pric
> licfaq.mspx
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*
>
> "Dan Berg" <danb555@hrmsi.com> wrote on 16 sep 2004:
>
>> This is really stupid, if I had a Windows 2000 Server and I was
>> using XP Pro or W2K Pro I could use terminal server without a
>> CAL becuase it was built in, now if I ugraded to Windows 2003
>> Server, it doesn't work anymore and I need to spend more money.
>>
>> You preach how great upgrading is, but you failed to mention
>> that the only great thing is a profit for your stupid monoloply.
>>
>> I guess we'll need to go to Linux and X windows.
>>

>> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
>> in message
>>> Windows 2000 Professional and XP Pro clients can connect to a
>>> Windows 2000 TS, and receive a free TS CAL from the TS
>>> Licensing Server.
>>>
>>> When they connect to a Windows 2003 TS, they don't get a free
>>> TS CAL, they need a purchased TS CAL.
>>> So you need to install and activate a TS Licensing Server, if
>>> you haven't already done that, and purchase and install TS CALs
>>> on it.
>>>
>>> Windows Server 2003 Pricing and Licensing FAQ
>>>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/pr
>>> ic licfaq.mspx
>>>
>>> --
>>> Vera Noest
>>> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>>> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---

Did you ever read the FAQ? There's a whole section about the
differences between Per User and Per Device CALs and TS CALs.

Purchase options differ from reseller to reseller. Contact your
local reseller.

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Dan Berg" <danb555@hrmsi.com> wrote on 22 sep 2004 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client:

<more ranting about licensing deleted for brevity>

TRENDING THREADS