noob building rig

fernandezrm

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
ok, i got an a8n32-sli mobo, x2 4400, corsair 2gb 3500ll, two evga 7800gtx in sli config, WD raptor and 250gb, and soundblaster x-fi. my problem comes when i try to run games. when i run the test setting playing FEAR, i get 96% of my fps under 20... the settings arent even maxed out. what did i do wrong? am i bottlenecking somewhere?

StigHelmer

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
What's your 3dmark05 score? Just to se if it's a FEAR problem, or something else..

3dMark05 can be downloaded from here.

Have you got all latest drivers installed?

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
1024 x 768 x 32

8O 8O 8O 8O

wait you have an SLI config to run games at 1024*768? 8O

ok try upping the settings and higher resolution it could be cpu limited at that resolution(doubt it)

ok, have you set up SLI correctly?, checked the bios options to make sure you dont need to tell it to use both cards? got the bridge connected? set any extra cards/jumpers on the mobo to except the SLi.

ok a problem some people have had is the card throttling back due to heat, try taking off the side of your case and check to make sure you have the warning sound enabled in the Nvidia options(this will tell you if it overheats).

i think you are cpu limiting yourself by running the game at settings that the GFX is almost useless and the cpu is doing most of the work.

EDIT

i got pc-cillin 05 and adaware, so my pc's clean

this does not make your pc clean.

AVG free anti virus, Spyware blaster, spybot, adaware and Firefox ensure your PC stays clean and its all FREE! and wont hog system resources like pc cillin or NAV/NIS.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
ok, i got an a8n32-sli mobo, x2 4400, corsair 2gb 3500ll, two evga 7800gtx in sli config, WD raptor and 250gb, and soundblaster x-fi. my problem comes when i try to run games. when i run the test setting playing FEAR, i get 96% of my fps under 20... the settings arent even maxed out. what did i do wrong? am i bottlenecking somewhere?
Okay first off, make sure you have SLI enabled in your nvidia drivers. Second, don't use Soft Shadows on F.E.A.R. unless you're not using antialiasing.

StigHelmer

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
I don't think 3DMark05 will help, it just gives you a number, doesnt mean if you have a certain score, FEAR should run well.
My point was that if he gets a very low 3dmark score (as are his fps in FEAR), that would tell us if it is a FEAR problem or a more general one. Kind of like asking him if he has slow framerates in other games, too.

StigHelmer

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
1024 x 768 x 32
Man, i wish I had that kind of money :p :p
But anyway, I still want to know the performance you're getting in other games (or 3dmark, for that matter!). This seems to be a new build, but just in case, did you have a different graphics gard setup on that rig?

If higher res doesnt help, my money is on the pci-e lanes. Sure you set up SLI right with the jumpers/bios?

7_vii_7

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
Ok also make sure you have the lastest drivers. Even VIA. You need to also make sure that your BIOS, settings on the MoBo and drivers for you SLI are enabled. That should be the problem. Also make sure they are both securly in their slots. if that does not help make sure there is not a loss of power such as your PS not being hefty enough.

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Well I'm from the land of the celeron and I'm running FEAR alright as far as i am concerned. heck, on a 6600 128. really people, why the ultra expensive hardware for the measly gains in fps when the old 6600 does the job. i sometimes ask myself that. saves me a lot of dosh.

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
hell you can run a game on an even shittier system but, theres a level where the enjoyment drops to the point of no return when your fps are to low and you cannot play the game. Hey computers are a big industrey if you have the money then you can get the latest hardware and run everything at insane speeds. (im speaking for most people who have money(i dont))