Copy and Past over Win2k3 TS

Hi.
I need to copy some files from TS user session to user's client: I see
RDP-Clip hotfix for Win2k, but I not found anything for Win2k3.

The file in use is:
rdpclip.exe
File version: 5.2.3790.0 (srv03_rtm.030324-2048)

Have I to use "mapping drive" option in TS config or is there a way to
use "copy and past" with files?

Thank you very much,
fRANz
5 answers Last reply
More about copy past win2k3
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    If the user has RDP client 5.1.2600 or 5.2.3790 and checks the "disk drives"
    option, it will connect their local drives in their session. This is a
    native feature of 2003 & XP.

    Patrick Rouse
    Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
    http://www.workthin.com

    "fRANz" wrote:

    > Hi.
    > I need to copy some files from TS user session to user's client: I see
    > RDP-Clip hotfix for Win2k, but I not found anything for Win2k3.
    >
    > The file in use is:
    > rdpclip.exe
    > File version: 5.2.3790.0 (srv03_rtm.030324-2048)
    >
    > Have I to use "mapping drive" option in TS config or is there a way to
    > use "copy and past" with files?
    >
    > Thank you very much,
    > fRANz

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    Patrick Rouse [MVP] wrote:

    > If the user has RDP client 5.1.2600 or 5.2.3790 and checks the "disk drives"
    > option, it will connect their local drives in their session. This is a
    > native feature of 2003 & XP.

    Thank you Patrick for your reply.
    Is this the only way for trasfer file in Win2k3 TS?!
    Can I "rate" the "disk drivers" option that you describe with Group
    Policy under Win2k3 TS?

    Thank you again,
    fRANz
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    How else would you like to transfer files between an RDP Client & the
    Terminal Server? You can assign the local C drive to a drive letter in the
    user's session via "net use DriveLetter: \\tsclient\C"

    You can control whether or not users are able to connect their local drives
    via:

    Group Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates ->
    Windows Components -> Terminal Services -> Client/Server data redirection ->
    "Do not allow drive redirection".

    Drive redirection is enables by default in each user account. If you want a
    way to deliver the RDP client with this option, you can deploy the Remote
    Desktop Web Connection via IIS & Internet Explorer. You can specify in the
    default.htm page which options you want users to connect with.

    RDWC available for download here: (it's built into 2003)
    http://www.workthin.com/tsdown.htm

    RDWC instructions here:
    http://www.workthin.com/tshta.htm#RemoteDesktopWebConnection

    "fRANz" wrote:

    > Patrick Rouse [MVP] wrote:
    >
    > > If the user has RDP client 5.1.2600 or 5.2.3790 and checks the "disk drives"
    > > option, it will connect their local drives in their session. This is a
    > > native feature of 2003 & XP.
    >
    > Thank you Patrick for your reply.
    > Is this the only way for trasfer file in Win2k3 TS?!
    > Can I "rate" the "disk drivers" option that you describe with Group
    > Policy under Win2k3 TS?
    >
    > Thank you again,
    > fRANz

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    Patrick Rouse [MVP] wrote:

    > How else would you like to transfer files between an RDP Client & the
    > Terminal Server? You can assign the local C drive to a drive letter in the
    > user's session via "net use DriveLetter: \\tsclient\C"

    I see that exist:

    - RDP Clip File Copy extension for TS (for Win2k only?);
    - TSDropCopy by AnalogX (unfriendly becouse need an installation
    client-side for each one)

    > Drive redirection is enables by default in each user account. If you want a
    > way to deliver the RDP client with this option, you can deploy the Remote
    > Desktop Web Connection via IIS & Internet Explorer. You can specify in the
    > default.htm page which options you want users to connect with.

    I can't / want use IIS.

    RDP Clip File Copy extension permit copy-past operations betweek ts
    server and client very easy; I can't map via "net use" becouse I'm in
    MAN / WAN, not LAN.

    Thank you anyway,
    fRANz
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    I think you're misunderstanding hos this works. The rdpclip.exe file copy
    from the resource kit, is now built into the 2003 operating system, so no
    resource kit utility is needed.

    As far as connecting local drives and printers to the RDP session, this is
    done via the RDP protocol, not via RPC, so no other open ports in your
    firewall are needed (other than 3389 for RDP and the optional 80/443 if you
    use the Remote Desktop Web Connection).

    This URL has a lot of information that should help you get a better grasp on
    things:

    http://www.workthin.com/tshta.htm#RemoteDesktopClientConfiguration

    "fRANz" wrote:

    > Patrick Rouse [MVP] wrote:
    >
    > > How else would you like to transfer files between an RDP Client & the
    > > Terminal Server? You can assign the local C drive to a drive letter in the
    > > user's session via "net use DriveLetter: \\tsclient\C"
    >
    > I see that exist:
    >
    > - RDP Clip File Copy extension for TS (for Win2k only?);
    > - TSDropCopy by AnalogX (unfriendly becouse need an installation
    > client-side for each one)
    >
    > > Drive redirection is enables by default in each user account. If you want a
    > > way to deliver the RDP client with this option, you can deploy the Remote
    > > Desktop Web Connection via IIS & Internet Explorer. You can specify in the
    > > default.htm page which options you want users to connect with.
    >
    > I can't / want use IIS.
    >
    > RDP Clip File Copy extension permit copy-past operations betweek ts
    > server and client very easy; I can't map via "net use" becouse I'm in
    > MAN / WAN, not LAN.
    >
    > Thank you anyway,
    > fRANz

Microsoft Windows