Terminal Liscensing Trouble

I’m Satya Shrestha, working as an IT officer at an INGO named PSI/Nepal.
PSI/Nepal is an INGO working in 70 different countries allover the world. I’m
the System/Network administrator of my organization and have to look after
the whole IT System (LAN/Domain server/Mail server/Web Server and everything
about IT). In our organizational settings we’ve 78 workstations (including
Laptop, desktop and dumb terminals (thin client PCs)), 12 network printers,
and other network devices. I’ve two servers – Domain controller/terminal
server with Windows 2003 Server OS and Mail server with Windows 2000 Server.

From a very long time I’m having problem with my dumb terminals (thin client
pc) and the terminal server licensing. Following is the details of my problem:

I've a terminal server installed on windows 2003 server. I had upgraded this
server from windows 2000 server having 10 installed CAL for terminal clients
on Oct. 2003. I also have installed 20 Terminal Server CAL for accessing the
terminal server from client in Windows 2003 server. I have 20 terminal
clients (Dumb terminals - InfoSmart terminals). I also have 58 other
workstations (combination of desktop PCs and laptops) from which I connect to
the terminal server timely for administration purpose.

My problem is that, My server is issuing temporary user license to the dumb
terminals and some of them are not being able to connect to the server. When
I checked the server's log page, it says that the terminal license has
expired. In terminal licensing snap-in, it shows that 10 CAL license from
windows 2000 server has not yet been issued and all the 20 CAL from windows
2003 server has been used up. Some of the desktop pc/laptops are taking those
CAL. Besides this it has issued 1122 temporary licenses till date.

Can I clean up all previously installed/issued temporary and other issued
CAL, and do the clean installation of the terminal licenses? I have tried
re-activating the server last week but it also didn't worked. I'm in a big
trouble now as my client dumb terminal computers are not being able to
connect to the server and are being useless at this time. Can I reinstall all
the licenses from Windows 2000 server and Windows 2003 server?

I hope you’ll try to look in this matter.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Best Regards,
Satya Shrestha
IT Officer,
Population Services International/Nepal,
Budhanilkantha, Kathmandu, Nepal
Tel: 4377471, 4377472
Fax: 4377473
email: satya@psi.org.np

Thanks Vero Noest,

Your tips was really helpful and now i'm crystal clear about the TS CAL
issues. I'm thinking of buying 20 more TS CALs for Windows 2003, hope it'll
solve my problem.

However, can we deactivate all currently issued TS CALs and reissue TS CALs
for all the dumb terminals?

Thanks again for your help in this matter.

Regards,
Satya Shrestha

No, you can't revoke issued TS CALs. They will expire after 52 -
89 days, if the clients do not connect to the TS anymore. After
they expire, they become available again for other clients.

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server